Women with PCOS and BMR

Options

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Try lower carb. For IR it can help with weight loss, and it certainly helps with the blood sugar problems, which is important to try to avoid IR going to diabetes.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Is internet aggressiveness a symptom of PCOS? Asking for a friend.
  • Errrica91
    Errrica91 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Is there a REASON you are being extremely SNARKY in all your replies to people that are trying to HELP you?

Just wondering.

You may not realize that is how you are coming across, but I see posters genuinely trying to offer helpful advice, and you aren't being very kind in your responses back to them.

I'm not being snarky. As you may know I didn't come here to ask for fitness or diet advice. I ASKED GIRLS AND WOMEN W/ PCOS AND/OR PCOS WHAT THEIR DAILY CALORIC INTAKE IS. Only few ppl answered what was ASKED. The others are just being "smart"... And you didn't answer either sooo...you pretty much just made my point;-)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Erica, perhaps you don't understand that these women are trying to help you. Caloric intakes are relative to each person's individual data/stats. Finding out what other women with your condition have for their caloric intake isn't going to help you because they're not necessarily your age, not necessarily your height, and don't necessarily have the exact same activity level you do.

You can't make direct comparisons to other people here. The only useful data you can have is for yourself.
  • Errrica91
    Options
    Try lower carb. For IR it can help with weight loss, and it certainly helps with the blood sugar problems, which is important to try to avoid IR going to diabetes.

I ALREADY EAT UNDER 15g of carbs a day but I'll try to lower it even more for a few weeks and see what happens :* THANK YOU <3
    * and how many kcals do you eat a day w/ PCOS and how tall are you? Just wondering o:)
  • Errrica91
    Options
    Is internet aggressiveness a symptom of PCOS? Asking for a friend.

Ask your friend ;):*
  • Errrica91
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Errrica91 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    My suggestion is to dump the HIIT and instead do 40-45 minutes of LISS (low impact steady state) cardio like walking four times a week, in addition to lifting weights 2-3x/wk. Keep the pilates if you would like, for stretching once a week but don't count on it as a great calorie burner.

I'd probably start at 1650 calories per day, stick with it for four weeks of good solid logging, and then analyze the results.

Been there, done that. LISS doesn't change my weight loss either:( And my Pilates is advance so it's really not to be considered just "stretch" - I burn about 300kcal in a session. And I track EVERYTHING (kcal, carbs, protein, fat, kcal burn through exercise) - I'm no newbie to this.

And ARE you suffering from PCOS, TOO?

But THANKS anyway.

I always jump in when people say yoga doesn't burn many calories, but can't speak to Pilates. How are you getting the 300 cal/session burn? If from the database, those burns are considered inflated and many people suggest you just eat 50% of the calories you've earned from them back.

Someone else (I wish I remember who) said burns for her are more accurate when she says she is an inch shorter than she really is and I am trying that at the moment cuz it's easier than always adjusting the burn.

Ofc yoga burns calories just depends what kind of yoga you're doing B) I use heart monitor btw:*
  • Errrica91
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    She is not being snarky ...she is being frustrated because she truly honestly believes that she is doing everything right and her medical conditions are destroying her efforts

I happen to believe she is mistaken and is not logging properly. I think she isn't accurately logging her food or is overestimating her exercise but more likely it's both

But until she is open to addressing her logging honestly she will continue to have her reasons why it is so difficult

I think that's human nature

As an impartial viewer who was invited here to share my unbiased opinion on this matter...

...I'm on team snarky*.

Maybe if you dial it back *just a little*, OP, you might find more people willing to try to help you find a solution.

(* and I know snarky having gotten my PhD in it in 1998.)

Aaaand...WHAT ABOUT YOUR OPINION, HMMMMM???
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My suggestion is to dump the HIIT and instead do 40-45 minutes of LISS (low impact steady state) cardio like walking four times a week, in addition to lifting weights 2-3x/wk. Keep the pilates if you would like, for stretching once a week but don't count on it as a great calorie burner.

I'd probably start at 1650 calories per day, stick with it for four weeks of good solid logging, and then analyze the results.

Been there, done that. LISS doesn't change my weight loss either:( And my Pilates is advance so it's really not to be considered just "stretch" - I burn about 300kcal in a session. And I track EVERYTHING (kcal, carbs, protein, fat, kcal burn through exercise) - I'm no newbie to this.

But THANKS anyway.

I always jump in when people say yoga doesn't burn many calories, but can't speak to Pilates. How are you getting the 300 cal/session burn? If from the database, those burns are considered inflated and many people suggest you just eat 50% of the calories you've earned from them back.

Someone else (I wish I remember who) said burns for her are more accurate when she says she is an inch shorter than she really is and I am trying that at the moment cuz it's easier than always adjusting the burn.

Ofc yoga burns calories just depends what kind of yoga you're doing B) I use heart monitor btw:*

But HRMs are for steady state cardio. Using it for other activities like yoga, aerobics, strength training, etc will end up giving you exaggerated burn.
  • Errrica91
    Options
    Actually, I changed my mind. My advice is to give up on losing anymore weight. Clearly nothing you do is going to work so why waste your time trying. #YOLO, right?

AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED THE ONLY QUESTION I WAS ASKING ... I'll give you a hint...it's the one where I'm asking HOW MANY CALORIES DO GIRLS WITH PCOS here CONSUME A DAY.
  • Errrica91
    Options
    Erica, perhaps you don't understand that these women are trying to help you. Caloric intakes are relative to each person's individual data/stats. Finding out what other women with your condition have for their caloric intake isn't going to help you because they're not necessarily your age, not necessarily your height, and don't necessarily have the exact same activity level you do.

You can't make direct comparisons to other people here. The only useful data you can have is for yourself.

I know that. I was just curious cause I know there are women eating at online calculated BMR and women who found out it's too much (even have their BMR calculated by progessionals) for them and eat way less than that and yet aren't undereating. I just thought that ASKING-GETTING straight ANSWEARS was what discussions were for...that's all :|
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

I ALREADY EAT UNDER 15g of carbs a day but I'll try to lower it even more for a few weeks and see what happens :* THANK YOU <3
    * and how many kcals do you eat a day w/ PCOS and how tall are you? Just wondering o:)

I'm lucky; I get to eat more than my TDEE as calculated on Scooby's! Maybe it's because I have more lean mass than average women my age and height? I'm 5'6", 134, and 45 years old. I eat 1775-1850 calories a day and do mostly exercise that doesn't burn enough to count it (lifting, small walks, gentle yoga). I can eat more on days I do something vigorous and not gain. I'm also on Metformin, and I do think that can make a difference.

You already eat really low carb. I don't eat nearly that low. I do also take supplements for IR, so all the anti-IR chemicals probably fix whatever PCOS does to make it hard to lose weight. I take Chromium+Cinnamon, Fenugreek and Bilberry (and the Metformin, too).
  • Errrica91
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

But THANKS anyway.

But HRMs are for steady state cardio. Using it for other activities like yoga, aerobics, strength training, etc will end up giving you exaggerated burn.

That is not true. HRMs are to use for any physical exercise - including strenght training and HIIT...and even Pilates - it just depends how you have it adjusted;) mine counts calories after I get above 60% of my HR for example;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Actually, I changed my mind. My advice is to give up on losing anymore weight. Clearly nothing you do is going to work so why waste your time trying. #YOLO, right?

AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED THE ONLY QUESTION I WAS ASKING ... I'll give you a hint...it's the one where I'm asking HOW MANY CALORIES DO GIRLS WITH PCOS here CONSUME A DAY.

1200-3200 daily calories with a height range of 4'6" - 6'1" based on my own quick informal poll of women with ovaries (and a couple without).

Hope this information is somehow helpful.
  • Errrica91
    Options

I'm lucky; I get to eat more than my TDEE as calculated on Scooby's! Maybe it's because I have more lean mass than average women my age and height? I'm 5'6", 134, and 45 years old. I eat 1775-1850 calories a day and do mostly exercise that doesn't burn enough to count it (lifting, small walks, gentle yoga). I can eat more on days I do something vigorous and not gain. I'm also on Metformin, and I do think that can make a difference.

You already eat really low carb. I don't eat nearly that low. I do also take supplements for IR, so all the anti-IR chemicals probably fix whatever PCOS does to make it hard to lose weight. I take Chromium+Cinnamon, Fenugreek and Bilberry (and the Metformin, too).

I'm not on any medication for PCOS yet:( just taking vitamin supplements:) I heard Inositol might help a little bit too...do you have any experience with that or somenody you know?:* and...what exactly is Fenugreek, Bilberry and Metformin? I heard about Metformin but...is it for prescription only?:)
  • Errrica91
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

1200-3200 daily calories with a height range of 4'6" - 6'1" based on my own quick informal poll.

Hope this information is somehow helpful.

It would be really helpful if you had ovaries and uterus too but...oh well:D
  • morgancs21
    morgancs21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and IR. I just started back but I have lost 90lbs before. I am on metformin
    #1 never go below 1200 when our bodies go into starvation mode it can be worse for us. I consume 1200 -1500 cals a day
    #2 weight training is so amazing for PCOS
    #3 I don't log my workouts. So I don't eat back those calories.
    #4 as you start losing weight your metabolism picks up more and the IR goes away.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'd address the myth of starvation mode, but I have a headache from all the shouting in here.
  • cafeaulait7
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'm not on any medication for PCOS yet:( just taking vitamin supplements:) I heard Inositol might help a little bit too...do you have any experience with that or somenody you know?:* and...what exactly is Fenugreek, Bilberry and Metformin? I heard about Metformin but...is it for prescription only?:)

I haven't heard about Inositol other than that it's for PCOS. I also take Prometrium Rx progesterone for my PCOS and endo. That's to balance the hormones, because I do have too many androgens.

The Metformin is Rx for IR/diabetes. The herbs and mineral I take are other things that can help the blood sugar levels. Mine got too high, so that's why I take so much to help with my sugars. Oh, and I take the RDA of Magnesium, too. That's another mineral (along with Chromium) that can help. Fenugreek is just an herb, and Bilberry is a very yummy fruit. I cut my capsules open and eat that one, lol.

Both Fenugreek and Bilberry also help with stomach troubles like I have, so that's half of why I take them. I have GERD.
  • Errrica91
    Options

I haven't heard about Inositol other than that it's for PCOS. I also take Prometrium Rx progesterone for my PCOS and endo. That's to balance the hormones, because I do have too many androgens.

The Metformin is Rx for IR/diabetes. The herbs and mineral I take are other things that can help the blood sugar levels. Mine got too high, so that's why I take so much to help with my sugars. Oh, and I take the RDA of Magnesium, too. That's another mineral (along with Chromium) that can help. Fenugreek is just an herb, and Bilberry is a very yummy fruit. I cut my capsules open and eat that one, lol.

Both Fenugreek and Bilberry also help with stomach troubles like I have, so that's half of why I take them. I have GERD. [/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that:( two of my friends have GERD too and it's really "unpleasant" at least:(
    Not sure if my doc will be willing to put me on Metformin so I'll go with Inositol and see what happens:) Don't worry if my auntie wasn't a nurse I wouldn't know about Inositol either:D