How do all you meat eaters get your fiber and micronutrition?

Options

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Benefiber, kale, brocolli, baby spinach, blackberries and raspberies have high fibre and are low in sugar/ low carb. Oats are an occasional option, as are lentils and beans for even more fibre. Though that is not feasible if very low carb. I need my vegies and I look forward to being given ok by doctor to eat fruit. Cereal and bread I can live without. Protein fills me up. Nori Seaweed sheets are a handy way to wrap up a meat with something such as avocado.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,551 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    True dietary fiber can be excluded from your daily carb count.
    That said, your first goal should be to budget in 30 grams of fiber each day which can be a challenge if you low-carb. I include a Quest Bar every day. Lots of protein but also 17-18 grams of fiber for a net carb count of 3-4 carbs.
    Best bar out there as far as I'm concerned.

I'm at 50% Protein, 30% Fats and 20% carbs.

So you basically supplement fiber?
  • kahicky
    kahicky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tons of vegis every day, i eat brocolli, carrott,cauliflower,green beans, peas,sweet potatos. I eat alot of meat but most of my cals weather im bulking or cutting come from carbs, the only carb i consume that isnt fiberous is white rice. Ive tried lower amounts of vegis in past and it was like a gut bomb by the end of day
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    First tell me why I care how much fiber I get?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    (trolling topic title was for page hits and humor, now that I've got your attention let's have a discussion)

Seriously, the often maligned carbohydrate is the source of most of the micronutrition in your diet.

Premise quality problem. Micronutrients come from all foods. If all your micronutrient rich foods are all carbohydrates, why are you choosing such low micronutrient (& low quality) proteins and fats?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what sixxpoint is talking about. When I was cutting I was getting at least .8g of protein per pound of body weight, my fat intake was low (possibly too low), and I was getting 50g of fiber per day. Quest bars, shirataki noodles, and a crap ton of veg.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    (trolling topic title was for page hits and humor, now that I've got your attention let's have a discussion)

Seriously, the often maligned carbohydrate is the source of most of the micronutrition in your diet.

Premise quality problem. Micronutrients come from all foods. If all your micronutrient rich foods are all carbohydrates, why are you choosing such low micronutrient (& low quality) proteins and fats?

Like...hot dogs?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just stick to meat and pudding.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding!! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat!?!?!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 30% protein, so am probably not your intended demographic, but I like my food to have lots of different colors.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Alatariel75
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I shoot for 30% protein, so am probably not your intended demographic, but I like my food to have lots of different colors.

maxresdefault.jpg

LOTS!

amazon-reviews-of-haribos-sugarless-gummy-bears-are-terrifying.jpg
  • arditarose
    Options
    Hope those aren't sugar free
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

They're cheaper than Alli ;)
  • arditarose
    Options

They're cheaper than Alli ;)

lmao
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Noooo...not Satan's Diarrhea Hate Bears!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Noooo...not Satan's Diarrhea Hate Bears!

:) laughing... thanks.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

That rainbow looks tasty, but don't ask me to eat the sweet potato, yam, turnip, squash, parsnip or similar :D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

That rainbow looks tasty, but don't ask me to eat the sweet potato, yam, turnip, squash, parsnip or similar :D

I'll eat all of those for you. They're all ingredients in one of my favorite dishes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    First tell me why I care how much fiber I get?

+1

In a high carbohydrate diet there appears to some vague epidemiology supporting the notion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

That sounds like a fabulous combo for roasted root vegetables :p
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Seriously, the often maligned carbohydrate is the source of most of the micronutrition in your diet. How do ALL of you go about selecting what fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc. you consume, the quantity, and match what nutrients they provide with what your diet needs?

I find nutritiondata.com to be an excellent way to check on the nutrients that MFP doesn't track ot make sure my overall diet has adequate micronutrition.

Do all you on high protein diets take care to maximize the nutrition from your carb sources to have a diet complete for micronutrition as well?

cronometer.com is an actual tracker for micronutrient intake.