What keeps you motivated to go work out??

Options

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I am following this thread out of shared interest.

I seem to have lost my exercise confidence and I only do a tiny amount these days. It ended up on the back-burner somehow when my career kicked up a notch. I struggle to find the right balance. I used to be super fit and now I am borderline sedentary.

I am trying to lean into it again. I have an exercise bike and I walk more. I will invest in some free weights this weekend and a yoga mat to add to the mix.

Every little bit helps. Walking more and using weights is a great way to get back into the game again.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    To never be the size I was 3 years ago again.

To continue to get stronger and hit new PRs for myself while working towards my longer term goals.

To battle depression and anxiety best I can without meds.

To help insure that as I get older I'm in good enough condition to continue doing the things I love.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't do the gym though if people don't clear their sidewalks off better I may have to move indoors
    but the sense of accomplishment and the skinnier clothes keeps me running and more food
    92bf98a55ec75800f91c433687437dc0.jpg

and with yoga, I like that i can see the progression in my ability. the other big motivator is that I am the teacher once a week so if I don't show up the studio is not thrilled j/k. my students hold me accountable
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    The after feeling you get from a good hard sweaty almost want to throw up work out!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    298_298_hill-killer-will-bike-for-beer-jersey-18-jerseys.jpg
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The thing that keeps me going to the gym is the feeling I get when I hit a new PR. Keep the weight on the bar coming!
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    Do something you don't hate. Pick a goal to accomplish something you don't think is possible. Running race, crossfit event thing, some weight lift goal, a focused dance class, something.

I agree. I hate the gym. I have always hated it. I lift free weights at home and I skate outdoors and session skating at the local roller rinks. Skating keeps me motivated to get up and do it again. It is also why I started doing yoga and doing lunges, leg lifts and working with free weights in general. Because to get better at skating, you have to have a stronger core and legs :)
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Basically on the days where I don't want to go, I get myself there and do no less than 20 min of cardio if after that point I'm still not into it, I go home. By then I'm warm and moving rarely ever go home!
  • szdrok
    szdrok Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's a really good stress relief and I like to see how far I can push my body. My mistake before was going to the gym and posting on social media about it too much because then it wasn't really about working out but more of a status update and I just lost interest in it. But I hate sitting in one place for too long because I get tired even more somehow so the more I move the more I feel alive. :smile:
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Dresses. Its all about the dresses for me.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I workout with friends and catch them at the gm on multiple days. If I am solo I can easily think about how I was and where I have been. I used to be 30lbs lighter, doing pull ups and 1 leg squats, getting comments, and having abs. That was easily the most capable and happiest I have ever been.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    ltworide wrote: »
    Reasons for working out:
    - I love beating my PRs
    All the motivation you need!
  • zagbee
    zagbee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to stay motivated enough to go to the gym regularly. I do workouts from home now and I just start them soon after I get up in the morning so I don't have much time to think about it.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    FSLSBSmfp wrote: »
    I usually take a pre-workout stimulant. 20 minutes later I'm ready to go even if I didn't feel like it.

Hahaha I used to do this!!!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Now all the motivation I need is my butt and a new bikini for summer (which is only a week away)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    ltworide wrote: »
    Reasons for working out:
    - I love beating my PRs
    All the motivation you need!

Same here. The main thing that keeps me motivated is progress. Being stagnant is a waste of time.
  • mdoljansky
    mdoljansky Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input!!!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I keep changing goals as well and before I hit one I create another to aim for.....so atm it was bikini for beginning of summer....that's only a week away but I have a Christmas party on 23rd December so my next goal is set for a skirt I want to wear at that...my goals are always only about 2 months at the most long so I can always see the finish line and they are always something reachable!!! I do also have long term goals but it those short term ones that keep me hitting the gym!! (My long term is 1kg lean muscle by this time next year at same fat % I am now)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated by remembering how awful I felt 28 months ago, before losing weight and exercising. I'm motivated by the clear progress I make in weights and endurance every 1-2 weeks. I can feel motivated to move forward or else go back to where I was. Easy decision.
    SW 301
    CW 181
    GW 150
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Discipline, not motivation. I have neither right now but I did at one time :)