Women with PCOS and BMR

Options

Replies

• Errrica91
    Errrica91 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'd address the myth of starvation mode, but I have a headache from all the shouting in here.

Don't;) feel free to share;)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Errrica91 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    My suggestion is to dump the HIIT and instead do 40-45 minutes of LISS (low impact steady state) cardio like walking four times a week, in addition to lifting weights 2-3x/wk. Keep the pilates if you would like, for stretching once a week but don't count on it as a great calorie burner.

I'd probably start at 1650 calories per day, stick with it for four weeks of good solid logging, and then analyze the results.

Been there, done that. LISS doesn't change my weight loss either:( And my Pilates is advance so it's really not to be considered just "stretch" - I burn about 300kcal in a session. And I track EVERYTHING (kcal, carbs, protein, fat, kcal burn through exercise) - I'm no newbie to this.

And ARE you suffering from PCOS, TOO?

But THANKS anyway.

I always jump in when people say yoga doesn't burn many calories, but can't speak to Pilates. How are you getting the 300 cal/session burn? If from the database, those burns are considered inflated and many people suggest you just eat 50% of the calories you've earned from them back.

Someone else (I wish I remember who) said burns for her are more accurate when she says she is an inch shorter than she really is and I am trying that at the moment cuz it's easier than always adjusting the burn.

Ofc yoga burns calories just depends what kind of yoga you're doing B) I use heart monitor btw:*

But HRMs are for steady state cardio. Using it for other activities like yoga, aerobics, strength training, etc will end up giving you exaggerated burn.

That is not true. HRMs are to use for any physical exercise - including strenght training and HIIT...and even Pilates - it just depends how you have it adjusted;) mine counts calories after I get above 60% of my HR for example;)

Here's a really good explanation about HRMs

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Actually, I changed my mind. My advice is to give up on losing anymore weight. Clearly nothing you do is going to work so why waste your time trying. #YOLO, right?

Actually, forget it. I'll just go with Jem's answer again.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to dump the HIIT and instead do 40-45 minutes of LISS (low impact steady state) cardio like walking four times a week, in addition to lifting weights 2-3x/wk. Keep the pilates if you would like, for stretching once a week but don't count on it as a great calorie burner.

I'd probably start at 1650 calories per day, stick with it for four weeks of good solid logging, and then analyze the results.

Been there, done that. LISS doesn't change my weight loss either:( And my Pilates is advance so it's really not to be considered just "stretch" - I burn about 300kcal in a session. And I track EVERYTHING (kcal, carbs, protein, fat, kcal burn through exercise) - I'm no newbie to this.

But THANKS anyway.

I always jump in when people say yoga doesn't burn many calories, but can't speak to Pilates. How are you getting the 300 cal/session burn? If from the database, those burns are considered inflated and many people suggest you just eat 50% of the calories you've earned from them back.

Someone else (I wish I remember who) said burns for her are more accurate when she says she is an inch shorter than she really is and I am trying that at the moment cuz it's easier than always adjusting the burn.

Ofc yoga burns calories just depends what kind of yoga you're doing B) I use heart monitor btw:*

But HRMs are for steady state cardio. Using it for other activities like yoga, aerobics, strength training, etc will end up giving you exaggerated burn.

That is not true. HRMs are to use for any physical exercise - including strenght training and HIIT...and even Pilates - it just depends how you have it adjusted;) mine counts calories after I get above 60% of my HR for example;)

So...if a resting HR of 55 is used by your example....the individual burns calories at a HR of 33?!? My math may be bad, but I'm sure as long as there is a HR you burn calories. If you use your device for anything other then steady state cardio as Pika referenced you'll get an exaggerated rate(calories burned). In terms of your question OP(and I also do not have TOM visit so apologies) an informal group of women from 18 to 82 have a calorie range of 1,200 to just north of 4,000. I will add their activity levels range from sedentary(wheelchair) to ultra runners. I didn't ask if they have/had PCOS so apologies. Best of luck with your goals.
  • Errrica91
    Options
    Actually, I changed my mind. My advice is to give up on losing anymore weight. Clearly nothing you do is going to work so why waste your time trying. #YOLO, right?

Actually, forget it. I'll just go with Jem's answer again.

HRM mainly monitors heart beat and IS NOT the most occurate thing when it comes to calories exp.? Nothing new and I've never said otherwise. But thx anyway:*
    And you're right ...go ahead with nothing to actually say to the subject (or do you have your own experience w/ PCOS?);)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I maintain at between 2300 and 2400 calories lifting 3-4 days a week and walking 2-3 days a week. I don't do pilates. I do have ovaries. And PCOS. But no HRM.
    I don't take any meds other than Claritin and Flonase.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has ever studied PCOS and weightlifting? Out of our teeny little sample size here, lifting is coming up among those who have PCOS and do great.

Thanks for the condolences on GERD! It can get really painful when I overdo, yep!
  • Errrica91
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    So...if a resting HR of 55 is used by your example....the individual burns calories at a HR of 33?!? My math may be bad, but I'm sure as long as there is a HR you burn calories. If you use your device for anything other then steady state cardio as Pika referenced you'll get an exaggerated rate(calories burned). In terms of your question OP(and I also do not have TOM visit so apologies) an informal group of women from 18 to 82 have a calorie range of 1,200 to just north of 4,000. I will add their activity levels range from sedentary(wheelchair) to ultra runners. I didn't ask if they have/had PCOS so apologies. Best of luck with your goals.

Ofc you burn calories at 55...and even 33 but it's not "cardio"zone yet and that's what we're talking about:*
    If my heart rate gets in "cardio state" during whatever exercise the HRM monitors it the same way as if I was doing steady state cardio;)
    and I meant 60 PERCENT of maximum heart rate (which is about 115 in my case) so MY APOLOGIES:*
    Well, if you didn't ask your answear's for nothing, too bad:*
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has ever studied PCOS and weightlifting? Out of our teeny little sample size here, lifting is coming up among those who have PCOS and do great.

Thanks for the condolences on GERD! It can get really painful when I overdo, yep!

I don't know if it's been studied but I have read, over and over and over, recommendations for women with PCOS to build muscle. Most women, PCOS or not, would benefit from building some muscle, though.
  • Errrica91
    Options

I don't think so:( as well as they haven't studied connection among PCOS and onsomnia, depression and LC or keto diet:( they seem to "treat" only the infertility part:(
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

I don't know if it's been studied but I have read, over and over and over, recommendations for women with PCOS to build muscle. Most women, PCOS or not, would benefit from building some muscle, though.

They would; I agree :) I'm wondering if there's a hormonal effect. I'm not up on weightlifting hormonal changes.

I do know that the extra androgens from my PCOS probably help explain why I grew up "naturally muscular". That's a nice little perk to go along with the bad. I eventually got the bad kind of facial hair, though, so I did decide to cut down the androgens a bit by going on progesterone!
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    5'6 and 141 means you are in a healthy weight range. That means weight loss is slow and you have less room for error. It may not be that PCOS and IR are keeping you from losing weight but inaccuracy. You seem to have tried everything else but looking at seeing if maybe you are actually eating too many calories. Maybe instead of eating under 1200 calories you should try not eating back all the calories your HRM gives you and make sure you are weighing everything that goes in your mouth. Many people in a healthy weight range instead do a recomp to change the shape and size of their body instead of eating at a deficit. That may give you the results you are looking for. (and before you ask yes I have PCOS and no I'm not on medicine for it. I am in a healthy weight range and have found lifting weights helps give me the results I want. I lost weight following what MFP gave me based on my height and activity level.)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to comment because in addition in PCOS/IR, I have several other, more serious, metabolic diseases. My BMR is about 30% of what it should be for my age and size. So take this with a grain of salt!

I am 5'11 and very active. I eat 1200-1400 calories/day, generally around 75G carbs. I have lost/maintained 90+ pounds but am still a bit above my goal weight. Most of my weight gain was from pituitary failure following brain surgeries for an aneurysm, not from PCOS.

It's not clear how much exercise you are getting. I do quite a bit and do not eat back those calories unless I get above 1500 calories in estimated burn, at which point I might have an extra snack. I lift, swim, dance and do quite a bit of walking. For me, weight lifting is NOT optional--not matter what other exercise I am doing, I can't seem to lose or maintain without lifting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard about Inositol other than that it's for PCOS. I also take Prometrium Rx progesterone for my PCOS and endo. That's to balance the hormones, because I do have too many androgens.

The Metformin is Rx for IR/diabetes. The herbs and mineral I take are other things that can help the blood sugar levels. Mine got too high, so that's why I take so much to help with my sugars. Oh, and I take the RDA of Magnesium, too. That's another mineral (along with Chromium) that can help. Fenugreek is just an herb, and Bilberry is a very yummy fruit. I cut my capsules open and eat that one, lol.

Both Fenugreek and Bilberry also help with stomach troubles like I have, so that's half of why I take them. I have GERD.

I'm sorry to hear that:( two of my friends have GERD too and it's really "unpleasant" at least:(
    Not sure if my doc will be willing to put me on Metformin so I'll go with Inositol and see what happens:) Don't worry if my auntie wasn't a nurse I wouldn't know about Inositol either:D

Is your doc a regular doc or an endocrinologist?

• pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I'm 5'1 and currently 122lbs. I'm trying to lose about 8 lbs more to get down to my pre pregnancy weight.

I eat 1500 to 2000 calories per day. Average is around 1650. I think my BMR is lower because of the PCOS and hypothyroidism, so I have MFP set to lose 1lb per week, and I undereat by about 250 calories per day. I'm losing about 1lb per week so I think I'm pretty accuate. The extra 250 is for my lower BMR and any inaccuracies in logging (although I weigh and measure nearly everything).

I do eat carbs. But I make sure I eat whole grain and slower to digest carbs and I always pair them with protein. My macros are around 33/33/34...so low-ish carb but not low carb.

I don't know if I'm IR but I assume am so I try to eat like I am. I also take inositol.

For exercise I do steady state cardio and I weightlift. I am pretty strong for my size and I used to powerlift when I was younger. I wonder if my extra androgens helped me put muscle on faster. I'm not powerlifting anymore though.

A word about HRM's....they do give exaggerated burns for anything other than steady state cardio. For lifting it will say I burned 350 calories. But in reality I might have burned 100. Lifting is anaerobic and doesn't burn calories like aerobic exercise does.Your heart rate goes up to increase blood pressure and blood flow to the muscles you are working....not because your respiration rate increases...since it's well...anaerobic.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    To the people who think pcos becomes an excuse you should keep in mind everyone has a different level of the syndrome and thus everyone has to try different things to see results. To answer your question I am in the same boat with eating low calories to see any change. I try to stay around 1200-1500cal and count half my exercise cals. Some things to try... Carb cycling. It keeps your body guessing and I had most success on it. Another thing is get rid of dairy. I didn't look at your diary but I'm just starting it and so far it's great! Also lifting weights as mentioned is a great approach for pcos.
  • Saraw0520
    Saraw0520 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'7, 32 years old, and I have PCOS. I eat approximately 1954 calories, give or take, a day. I also do weightlifting 3 times a week with minimal cardio. I lose a steady 0.5-2 lbs, depending on cycle, a week. I do low carb primal eating, but not ketosis. I keep my carbs around the 70-90g range. Weightlifting has been huge in helping with my weight loss and keeping other Health issues (such as anxiety and depression, insomnia, and severe PMS) that arise from PCOS at bay. Sorry if I offend by stating more than you asked for.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

But THANKS anyway.

HRMs are categorically NOT to be used for any physical exercise ...not strength training, not HIIT, not Pilates

Calorie burn is NOT directly related to heart rate. A HRM is only for steady state cardio based exercise like running, rowing, cycling at specific intensities ...the formula works on a table of HR in these conditions conversion to oxygen uptake

Getting your hr to 60% of some formulaic max (again heart rate zones is old school) does not equate to a specific calorific burn

It wouldn't matter if you were losing, but you aren't

Because your logging is wrong

Other people's calorie intake is irrelevant

I personally lost most of my weight eating around 1800 calories, currently eat around 2300-2400 in maintenance and my carbs never normally drop below 50%.. This is irrelevant to you

Stick to your excuses and incorrect assumptions, they won't help you
  • Errrica91
    Options
    I haven't heard about Inositol other than that it's for PCOS. I also take Prometrium Rx progesterone for my PCOS and endo. That's to balance the hormones, because I do have too many androgens.

The Metformin is Rx for IR/diabetes. The herbs and mineral I take are other things that can help the blood sugar levels. Mine got too high, so that's why I take so much to help with my sugars. Oh, and I take the RDA of Magnesium, too. That's another mineral (along with Chromium) that can help. Fenugreek is just an herb, and Bilberry is a very yummy fruit. I cut my capsules open and eat that one, lol.

Both Fenugreek and Bilberry also help with stomach troubles like I have, so that's half of why I take them. I have GERD.

I'm sorry to hear that:( two of my friends have GERD too and it's really "unpleasant" at least:(
    Not sure if my doc will be willing to put me on Metformin so I'll go with Inositol and see what happens:) Don't worry if my auntie wasn't a nurse I wouldn't know about Inositol either:D

Is your doc a regular doc or an endocrinologist?

I go to both endocrinologist and gynecologist - since I'm not exactly obese and eat healthy diet - they don't care that I gained about 17 lbs in two months about two years ago WITHOUT any change in my diet or exercise AND without being underweight before :-) It's just part of my heart disease AND PCOS in their opinion:/
  • Errrica91
    Options
    pineygirl wrote: »
    I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I'm 5'1 and currently 122lbs. I'm trying to lose about 8 lbs more to get down to my pre pregnancy weight.

I eat 1500 to 2000 calories per day. Average is around 1650. I think my BMR is lower because of the PCOS and hypothyroidism, so I have MFP set to lose 1lb per week, and I undereat by about 250 calories per day. I'm losing about 1lb per week so I think I'm pretty accuate. The extra 250 is for my lower BMR and any inaccuracies in logging (although I weigh and measure nearly everything).

I do eat carbs. But I make sure I eat whole grain and slower to digest carbs and I always pair them with protein. My macros are around 33/33/34...so low-ish carb but not low carb.

I don't know if I'm IR but I assume am so I try to eat like I am. I also take inositol.

For exercise I do steady state cardio and I weightlift. I am pretty strong for my size and I used to powerlift when I was younger. I wonder if my extra androgens helped me put muscle on faster. I'm not powerlifting anymore though.

A word about HRM's....they do give exaggerated burns for anything other than steady state cardio. For lifting it will say I burned 350 calories. But in reality I might have burned 100. Lifting is anaerobic and doesn't burn calories like aerobic exercise does.Your heart rate goes up to increase blood pressure and blood flow to the muscles you are working....not because your respiration rate increases...since it's well...anaerobic.

Yeah, I know I didn't say that HRM is super occurate and I don't even use it mainly for calories burn - I use it to monitor my heart since I need to keep my heart in check:)
    Thank you for your answear - it was really helpful:):* Good to see someone IS eating less than they're "calculated" BMR is cause of health condition:*