Options
    I started at 40 pounds and now almost to 100
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    ash_law wrote: »
    I used to do bodyweight squats when I lifted without any purpose - mainly just figuring basic things out. I never did dumbbell squats. When I started with the barbell, I could only do the bar. I've been powerlifting seriously for about 18 months and my best as of about 6 weeks ago is a 281.0lb/127.5kg squat at 147.6lb/67.0kg bodyweight. So close to double bodyweight that it hurts.

You have a coach?

Currently, yes, but not at the beginning. For the first 8 or 9 months, I ran cookie-cutter programs (5/3/1 and Juggernaut). Then I did my own RPE programming for about 3 months, with some oversight by my boyfriend. Now my boyfriend coaches me and writes all my programming. He did my peaking cycle into my last meet, which was in October, when I hit the squat I mentioned in my previous post. Proof of the squat here:
    After the meet, he wrote my 6ish weeks of off-season training, and is now writing my new programming to take me into my next meet, which is in February. He is not a certified coach, but he was ranked on Powerlifting Watch for his weight class about a year and a half ago before he got injured so he knows what he is doing, and he knows where my weaknesses are to address them.

• lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Body weight, then went to barbell, now I do the barbell plus 10 lbs on each side. I can't squat much. But I do a bunch of different kinds. Goblet, sumo, front, back, jump squats, and mix it up.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    VisofSer wrote: »
    You may find this table of squat strength standards as provided by Lon Kilgore, PhD interesting:

i7jazfdrm5p3.jpg

This was sourced from ExRx here.

I'm not even on the chart LOL
    (serious shorty here at 4'9 & 89lb)

However, at last check, my 1RM was a little over 110lb, so maybe I'm doing okay :smile:

I started with just bodyweight, then dumbbells and then bar.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I used to do bodyweight squats when I lifted without any purpose - mainly just figuring basic things out. I never did dumbbell squats. When I started with the barbell, I could only do the bar. I've been powerlifting seriously for about 18 months and my best as of about 6 weeks ago is a 281.0lb/127.5kg squat at 147.6lb/67.0kg bodyweight. So close to double bodyweight that it hurts.

You have a coach?

Currently, yes, but not at the beginning. For the first 8 or 9 months, I ran cookie-cutter programs (5/3/1 and Juggernaut). Then I did my own RPE programming for about 3 months, with some oversight by my boyfriend. Now my boyfriend coaches me and writes all my programming. He did my peaking cycle into my last meet, which was in October, when I hit the squat I mentioned in my previous post. Proof of the squat here:
    After the meet, he wrote my 6ish weeks of off-season training, and is now writing my new programming to take me into my next meet, which is in February. He is not a certified coach, but he was ranked on Powerlifting Watch for his weight class about a year and a half ago before he got injured so he knows what he is doing, and he knows where my weaknesses are to address them.

That's awesome. I was always curious if you could get up to those numbers running something like 5/3/1 or if you really need a coach/programming.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    dnamouse wrote: »
    I'm not even on the chart LOL
    (serious shorty here at 4'9 & 89lb)

However, at last check, my 1RM was a little over 110lb, so maybe I'm doing okay :smile:

I started with just bodyweight, then dumbbells and then bar.

Ah the fun of being short. Actually, you're shorter than me and much lighter. And yes, you are doing quite well. :wink:

Do kind of like the chart. I'm in between the 132 and 148, but hope to get down below 132 one of these days and it makes my numbers sound even better. Almost to that elite set. Failed 200 last test but maybe I'll try again at the end of the year.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options

You have a coach?

That's awesome. I was always curious if you could get up to those numbers running something like 5/3/1 or if you really need a coach/programming.

I think that may some people could get up to decent numbers without coaching, but I think people do better if they have someone at least overseeing their form/technique because even if you have the strength, if you have terrible technique you can only get so far.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between lifting dumbells and bar? Just because I can only complete a set of squats with 36 lbs using my dumbells at home.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    totes12 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between lifting dumbells and bar? Just because I can only complete a set of squats with 36 lbs using my dumbells at home.

You can squat with either but your form will be a bit different going from one to another. You'll also (likely) move different amounts of weight. I worked up to two 22.5 pound dumbbells on my shoulders before moving to the bar. My thought was that if I could do that, I should be able to lift a 45 pound bar on my back. The form was different enough, though, that I couldn't do that right away and ended up using a 15 pound bar+15 pounds for 30 pounds total for back squats in the beginning. Everybody's different though. Some women may be able to use the 45 pound bar right away, some may struggle with it, some may feel it's super light right away.