Advice for obese woman new to lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• jesudduth
    jesudduth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love weight lifting too! I recently hired a personal trainer to create a routine for me. It is basically one minute intervals, alternating cardio (elliptical) and weight lifting. This routine has shown me I don't hate cardio as much as I thought. Ha!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I might point out that cardio is not injury free. There's the potential of repetitive strain, ligament problems from inadequate stretching, and impact injuries (knee, back).
  • charisseb84
    charisseb84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kdalce wrote: »
    Great question. I was also told to weight lift and try to spend less time during cardio because weight lift gives you quicker results and the best results. Alot of women are on treadmills because its safe but are not really knowledgeable of alot of machines and there purposes as far as work out. So keep weight lifting.

That's a good point. I know when I first walked in the gym the treadmill was instantly was I went to because it was the least intimidating. I ended up going to the gym at like 2am when nobody was there to look at the equipment and sorta get myself acquainted. It helped but I do still feel intimidated sometimes especially if I'm doing arm work. It just seems like everybody is watching when I go do a bench press. Realistically they probably DGAF lol
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting! If you hate cardio, though, maybe try something different. I wouldn't get on a treadmill if you paid me but I love the rower, and kettlebells will give your heart and lungs a hell of a workout.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Exercise is effective when you do it, what exactly is going to be, it is not as important as you actually wanting to do it. So, if lifting motivates you to get moving, this is the best exercise for you :)
    You need ideally both cardio and resistance training, but cardio does not have to mean the treadmill or elliptical etc or even a gym. Plan something you find more appealing. A long walk for example, or a ride with your bike is also cardio and has the same benefits as working out at the gym.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting, I was a size 8. I didn't think it was possible for me to "lose weight." I thought that was the smallest I would ever be. 2 years later, I'm a size 2...and the SAME weight that I was at an 8. So I am smaller, denser, and way stronger. So yes, keep lifting. Lifting does burn less calories than cardio (while you are engaged in the activity), BUT can make a huge difference in your body composition. Your 17lb weight loss honestly is probably mostly due to diet.

You are probably still want to incorporate some cardio for fat loss though. While I've been lifting, I have been following it up with a small amount of cardio (usually less than 30 minutes). I HATE long bouts of cardio, but 15 minutes of running intervals and maybe 10 minutes of walking, isn't TOO bad. And don't worry, there are a lot of larger sized people at my gym lifting...no one will think you are in the wrong place if you go to the weight room; they will barely even notice.
  • charisseb84
    charisseb84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    When I started lifting, I was a size 8. I didn't think it was possible for me to "lose weight." I thought that was the smallest I would ever be. 2 years later, I'm a size 2...and the SAME weight that I was at an 8. So I am smaller, denser, and way stronger. So yes, keep lifting. Lifting does burn less calories than cardio (while you are engaged in the activity), BUT can make a huge difference in your body composition. Your 17lb weight loss honestly is probably mostly due to diet.

You are probably still want to incorporate some cardio for fat loss though. While I've been lifting, I have been following it up with a small amount of cardio (usually less than 30 minutes). I HATE long bouts of cardio, but 15 minutes of running intervals and maybe 10 minutes of walking, isn't TOO bad. And don't worry, there are a lot of larger sized people at my gym lifting...no one will think you are in the wrong place if you go to the weight room; they will barely even notice.

Wow, that's crazy that your weight didn't change! I will have to keep that in mind if the scale isn't dropping as fast as I want.

I am going to keep doing the cardio, I just think I'll stop worrying so much about it. 15-30 minutes is tolerable.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Lifting will definitely allow you to train cardio at faster/more difficult settings, which will therefore help you burn more calories. While you won't necessarily put new muscle on in a calorie deficit, your muscles can absolutely get stronger via your central nervous system getting better at using what is already there.

Definitely keep lifting, but also make sure you are getting your cardio in. Your metabolism isn't geared well toward building muscle at a high bodyfat, your body is actively trying to shed weight to make you lighter and more calorie efficient.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    If you like you lift you have more options. And if you are bored with most cardio, I'd suggest trying to incorporate the two and do some circuit type weight stuff. Done right you can keep your heart rate up and get some cardio work while doing lifter lifting. You can easily add heavier lifting as well, or do one before the other. Both can complement the other, and if you lift enough to minimize lean mass during your weight loss you're ahead of the game.

The best exercise is always the one you enjoy and continue to do. If you're already losing weight you probably already realize the calorie deficit can be made in a variety of ways. Make that deficit the way that suits you better.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Do what you love. Two hours of cardio a week is plenty. You can create a caloric deficit by eating less instead of burning more calories.