BODYBUILDING Community!

Options

Replies

• memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Okay, week 1 was a success. 198 lbs, up 2 pounds in the first week. Let's keep the momentum and add another 2 pounds this week!
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    Okay, week 1 was a success. 198 lbs, up 2 pounds in the first week. Let's keep the momentum and add another 2 pounds this week!

0.5lbs a week in muscle, that is about the max your body can synthesize, unless you are geared. Even less for people with 1 year+ in the gym.

While you can't add 0.5lbs of muscle without a bit of fat gain, 2lbs/week is definitely not ideal. Beware the dreamer bulk. Too early to tell right now with just one week of data, but if you continue to shoot up at the 2lbs rate for another week or two, you should slightly decrease your daily calories.
  • memo1974
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    memo1974 wrote: »

0.5lbs a week in muscle, that is about the max your body can synthesize, unless you are geared. Even less for people with 1 year+ in the gym.

While you can't add 0.5lbs of muscle without a bit of fat gain, 2lbs/week is definitely not ideal. Beware the dreamer bulk. Too early to tell right now with just one week of data, but if you continue to shoot up at the 2lbs rate for another week or two, you should slightly decrease your daily calories.

My whole life I' been a hard gainer, if I stop training I lose weight fast. For me it is hard to add weight, even fat weight. Since I was a little under eating, it feels great to eat high carbs and recover from workouts faster.

I did adjusted my plan, week 1 was 2400 calories, week 2 was supposed to be 2600, but I adjusted to 2500, and will continue to monitor the weight. I agree with you, 2 pounds per week is not sustainable, but because I come from under weight, I am hoping to catch 4 ponds the first 2 weeks, then 1 pound the next 4 weeks, then maintain that weight for 3 weeks before cutting back.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not a bodybuilder (I'm a powerlifter), but I am trying to incorporate bodybuilding things. Currently about to start a slow bulk to add some mass to my upper body. I've been used to a 1800kcal daily diet, but am going to start the bulk at 2000 kcals with 175g carbs / 150g protein / 78g fat, and perhaps reverse diet more if necessary. My weight currently fluctuates between 155 and 157lbs.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am trying to get ready for a comp in April (Figure) currently bulking - I need to put on at least 2kg muscles my trainer says. On 2100 cals atm. Have slowly been increasing the cals over the last month from 1600 ish to almost 1800 to around 1900 and now 2100. I'm in week 5 of my 'bulk'. Trainer says to gain these muscles by end of January so I can then cut slowly-ish until April.

I need to muscle everywhere but especially shoulders - get those caps going.

Am at 20%BF (or was as of a month ago when I had a DEXA scan) It may have gone up - I note my gut is a bit fluffier than it was a month ago but my weight has stated the same (which is surprising) 62.3 ish (usual small fluctuations).

Actually just yesterday she (trainer) told me she wanted me to be ready in September but I had a WTF moment because when we started this a month ago - it was after I'd seen a real life comp and though "i can do this!" that I could do April and she'd agreed. So I said let's aim for April anyway and even if i'm not 100% super duper it's a small regional show it will be good experience and then I can kill in in September.

I think she doesn't want me to get up there looking like *kitten* because it will make her look bad (understandable). So - I now want to double my efforts and be stage ready in April. Won't be ideal in terms of musculature, but if I can make it up there and rock a bling suit I'll be happy :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am trying to get ready for a comp in April (Figure) currently bulking - I need to put on at least 2kg muscles my trainer says. On 2100 cals atm. Have slowly been increasing the cals over the last month from 1600 ish to almost 1800 to around 1900 and now 2100. I'm in week 5 of my 'bulk'. Trainer says to gain these muscles by end of January so I can then cut slowly-ish until April.

Am at 20%BF (or was as of a month ago when I had a DEXA scan) It may have gone up - I note my gut is a bit fluffier than it was a month ago but my weight has stated the same (which is surprising) 62.3 ish (usual small fluctuations).

Actually just yesterday she (trainer) told me she wanted me to be ready in September but I had a WTF moment because when we started this a month ago - it was after I'd seen a real life comp and though "i can do this!" that I could do April and she'd agreed. So I said let's aim for April anyway and even if i'm not 100% super duper it's a small regional show it will be good experience and then I can kill in in September.

I think she doesn't want me to get up there looking like *kitten* because it will make her look bad (understandable). So - I now want to double my efforts and be stage ready in April. Won't be ideal in terms of musculature, but if I can make it up there and rock a bling suit I'll be happy :)

I think your trainer's goals for you are a bit lofty. Women generally add 1 pound of lean mass per month. Cutting starting at the end of January may not leave you lean enough for stage, especially your first time around. Women jump into competitions way earlier than they should (I know, I've done it).
  • _Bropollo_
    Options

I think a "practice" show is a good idea, but agree with @usmcmp that trying to pack on that much muscle as a woman, while also somehow cutting and getting show prep'd by April, is fairly unrealistic. I guess just go into the April competition with the understanding that it is a learning experience. Judges seem to care slightly more about lower bodyfat than muscular size, so just make sure you give yourself enough prep time if you really focused on placing in April.

I've got roughly 15lbs of muscle to pack on until I could be any real competition -_-
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I think your trainer's goals for you are a bit lofty. Women generally add 1 pound of lean mass per month. Cutting starting at the end of January may not leave you lean enough for stage, especially your first time around. Women jump into competitions way earlier than they should (I know, I've done it).

Pretty sure everyone jumps into competing way to early these days. No offense to those that compete but like, let's be real there are just some people that shouldn't be up there, and we all sit around and ask "What was he thinking"! I'd never get on stage unless I knew I was going to blow everyone away! cause if I'm doing it you better believe I am going to win it. I'm not looking to update my FB status like the new gen of competitors.

I think part of the major problem is that everyone thinks they're a coach these days too!!! like sorry your not a coach just because you competed in 1 show! - Not referring to anyone in this thread just what I see at my gym and in the OPA

ALSO a real coach would tell you, you're not ready... it's time to lift for 5+ years and in most cases the amount you'll need to spend on "supplements" to reach your goals.
  • _Bropollo_
    Options

Pretty sure everyone jumps into competing way to early these days. No offense to those that compete but like, let's be real there are just some people that shouldn't be up there, and we all sit around and ask "What was he thinking"! I'd never get on stage unless I knew I was going to blow everyone away! cause if I'm doing it you better believe I am going to win it. I'm not looking to update my FB status like the new gen of competitors.

I think part of the major problem is that everyone thinks they're a coach these days too!!! like sorry your not a coach just because you competed in 1 show! - Not referring to anyone in this thread just what I see at my gym and in the OPA

ALSO a real coach would tell you, you're not ready... it's time to lift for 5+ years and in most cases the amount you'll need to spend on "supplements" to reach your goals.

image.jpg?w=450&c=1
  • Steve_PB
    Steve_PB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love the "suppliments"
    Interesting reading. Bulking through winter. Only suppliement used is vitamin C omega 3 and whey to fill the gap. cost = marginal
  • usmcmp
    Options

Steroids or "supplements" as you put it, are totally unnecessary at most levels. Many competition coaches simply don't know how to train natural competitors, so finding a coach that knows how to train natural competitors is important. It's also important to be patient. Gaining mass and getting lean enough to be on stage takes a long time. That's why using steroids is so attractive to competitors, it lets them get on stage sooner.

I'm natural and I compete in tested as well as untested shows.
  • _Bropollo_
    Options
    Is pizza a supplement? In that case, I am taking a LOT of supplements /s
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I'm bulking... prepping for my first show in April 2016.. women's physique :)
  • _Bropollo_
    Options
    Steroids or "supplements" as you put it, are totally unnecessary at most levels. Many competition coaches simply don't know how to train natural competitors, so finding a coach that knows how to train natural competitors is important. It's also important to be patient. Gaining mass and getting lean enough to be on stage takes a long time. That's why using steroids is so attractive to competitors, it lets them get on stage sooner.

I disagree. The size most judges are looking for, at the leanness they expect, is something that is typically only achievable with steroids for 95% of people. The other lucky few with superior genetics might be able to do this natural. Jason Blaha lays it down pretty plain and simple, as do a fair number of other well known strength athletes.

From talking to other friends who are geared, and lots of research, it's fairly easy to pass a tested show, so going into a tested show thinking you are up against nattys is not a correct assumption . Fair number of "supplements" out there that you can take 2 weeks before a show and still pass (DBol being the first that comes to mind). Others stay in your system a long, long time. I'm not advocating anything here, just stating information. I personally don't use steroids. I enjoy not balding.

Whether you view them as necessary or not, a large number of people are on them at a competitive level. That is just a fact. People just won't talk about it because of legal implications. Maybe it is more prevalent in male competitions than female, idk.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Recently started my second bulk. Almost exactly 1 year after my first. Want to do a show in 2017.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I disagree. The size most judges are looking for, at the leanness they expect, is something that is typically only achievable with steroids for 95% of people. The other lucky few with superior genetics might be able to do this natural. Jason Blaha lays it down pretty plain and simple, as do a fair number of other well known strength athletes.

From talking to other friends who are geared, and lots of research, it's fairly easy to pass a tested show, so going into a tested show thinking you are up against nattys is not a correct assumption . Fair number of "supplements" out there that you can take 2 weeks before a show and still pass (DBol being the first that comes to mind). Others stay in your system a long, long time. I'm not advocating anything here, just stating information. I personally don't use steroids. I enjoy not balding.

Whether you view them as necessary or not, a large number of people are on them at a competitive level. That is just a fact. People just won't talk about it because of legal implications. Maybe it is more prevalent in male competitions than female, idk.

I've competed against women who were using and placed better than some. Some of it depends on the size of the show and which category you select. Certain federations or shows pretty much guarantee you won't place well if you are natural, but that would be like playing in a professional sport when you are amateur level.
  • _Bropollo_
    Options

I've competed against women who were using and placed better than some. Some of it depends on the size of the show and which category you select. Certain federations or shows pretty much guarantee you won't place well if you are natural, but that would be like playing in a professional sport when you are amateur level.

Training is absolutely more important than the steroids. Some people take them and expect magic to happen, when all it really does is increase your body's training capacity.

So if you can out-train the person on steroids, which is not unrealistic considering our culture where nobody wants to put the work in, then it is very possible to beat people on steroids full natty, correct. Which is seems you have been doing repeatedly, so props to you for busting some serious butt @usmcmp :)
  • usmcmp
    Options

Training is absolutely more important than the steroids. Some people take them and expect magic to happen, when all it really does is increase your body's training capacity.

So if you can out-train the person on steroids, which is not unrealistic considering our culture where nobody wants to put the work in, then it is very possible to beat people on steroids full natty, correct. Which is seems you have been doing repeatedly, so props to you for busting some serious butt @usmcmp :)

Nah, I think I just got lucky that I started lifting when I was still obese. I also have a great trainer who only works with natural competitors. It's just having the right pieces in place.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Back from Disney! I "bulked" this week and gained 2 pounds from 156 to 158.

Now, back to the gym either today or tomorrow.
  • memo1974
    Options
    Week 2: not great, lost one pound. Last week was 198, now 197. I know it may be just water, but it should be 1 pound heavier not lighter!
    Well, calories are going up this week by 200, 2700 is the goal.
    Also, working on cleaning my diet as much as possible. Gotta get those chicken and rice meals in!