Warmup for lifting

Options
Hi, all
I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for... I'm interested in how to warm up for lifting "heavy". I'm doing the Stronglifts program. When I start lifting, I've just come in from feeding horses and cleaning my barn so I'm "warmed up" as in my blood is flowing and my heart rate is up. But, I don't have the muscles that I hope to be working "ready" to start a workout. I'm mostly concerned for my lower back and any muscles involved in the squats. I don't know if it's justified, but that's the one that I'm most concerned could cause injury.
How do I prepare the right muscles to do the Stronglifts workout?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
margo

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    This, to me, is a good question. Watching.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I use the rowing machine as it uses most muscles, then do a warm up of the lifts with light weights before I work the sets.

Cheers, h.
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out Joe Defranco's Agile 8 and Simple 6.

I've been doing these mobility / warm-up drills for about 6 months and find they make a big difference for mobility and joint health.
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just read your question again. Don't jump straight in and lift at working weight sets. Do some warm-up sets, starting with the bar and build up to working weight.

For example, most of my lifts, I will normally do 10-15 reps with the bar, then 5 reps at 50-60% of working weight, then 3 reps at 80-90% of working weight, then 1 rep at working weight. Rest a minute or two then jump into the working sets.
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    when i am doing squats i always do some glute activation work first - hip bridges, leg extensions, pointers, clam shells etc...want to get the right muscles fired up so my quads dont take over!! i also see a lot of people in my gym foam rolling as a lifting warmup
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Dynamic warm up stretches. Can be done for calves, quads, legs, back, chest, shoulders, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I typically do something like 100 jumping jacks (or maybe run for a few minutes on the treadmill), then 20 body weight squats, and then essentially do this - http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/

I'll note that I really only do the jumping jacks (or possibly running on the treadmill) because my weights are in my garage and it is 40F outside.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Dynamic warm up stretches. Can be done for calves, quads, legs, back, chest, shoulders, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree with Niner. If you're coming back from doing some physical work you're probably in a decent spot and may not need to do any static or active isolation stretching. The dynamic movements might work very well for you. I also like a couple movements to help get my hips and legs activated how I want. Basically I'll do some floor bridges and side lunges (non-loaded) and just really focus on good movement.
  • bunnyhugger2015
    bunnyhugger2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow, I am SO glad I asked! The weights I'm doing probably aren't heavy for most of you but I'm getting to the point where they're challenging for me. I've been just jumping in and starting. This is such good info!
    Thank you!!!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow, I am SO glad I asked! The weights I'm doing probably aren't heavy for most of you but I'm getting to the point where they're challenging for me. I've been just jumping in and starting. This is such good info!
    Thank you!!!

A friend of mine had a pair of horses and I'd go with her and help feed them, walk them around the rink, and clean the stalls so I know it's physical activity so I'd have to imagine you're fairly warmed up by the time you're ready to train. Just pay attention to anything that feels tight as you warm-up. If something feels overly tight to where it feels as if it may impair good movement, stretch it.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I just warm up by stretching out.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My squat warm up consists of some banded glute warm-ups (mini bands around the lower quads and ankles, side forward and reverse steps), hip swings, banded hip flexor stretches, sometimes rolling my hip flexors with the lacrosse ball. I also do a general shoulder warm up as I'm a low bar squatter and if I don't my shoulders hate me.

After that, it's warm up sets before my work sets.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    5 minutes on the stationary bike and warm up sets on my first lower body movement and warm up sets on my first upper body movement.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    FSLSBSmfp wrote: »
    I just read your question again. Don't jump straight in and lift at working weight sets. Do some warm-up sets, starting with the bar and build up to working weight.

For example, most of my lifts, I will normally do 10-15 reps with the bar, then 5 reps at 50-60% of working weight, then 3 reps at 80-90% of working weight, then 1 rep at working weight. Rest a minute or two then jump into the working sets.

^This after a warmup of jumping jacks, body squats, stretches for the hips. I start with just the bar on all my lifts to warm up, and then add weights to get to my working weight. I feel this really gets my head in the game and am able to make any adjustments to my form.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    My squat warm up consists of some banded glute warm-ups (mini bands around the lower quads and ankles, side forward and reverse steps), hip swings, banded hip flexor stretches, sometimes rolling my hip flexors with the lacrosse ball. I also do a general shoulder warm up as I'm a low bar squatter and if I don't my shoulders hate me.

After that, it's warm up sets before my work sets.

this is what i do ^^

but i add a few minutes on the bike to get my blood flowing and warm. I also do some mobility stuff to loosen up my joints, body weight squats , hip openers , side lunges etc.