Exercise with arthritis ....

Options
Hi everyone,
I've got a mix of rheumatoid & osteo arthritis & I'm after some exercise suggestions please? Not swimming or water based!
Thank you!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your dr. What works for me is a combination of swimming, pilates and lifting, but I have arthritis only on one ankle.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I can't recommend water-based exercise enough, but it's your choice when you find out the options.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of figuring out what works for you, and which of your joints are affected. I have a bit of osteo and my mother had rheumatoid. My doctor says that most people with arthritis benefit from any exercise that strengthens the muscles surrounding an affected joint. Stronger muscles help stabilize the joint. The key is doing enough to reap a benefit w/o making things worse. Case in point -- I do (a bit) of lifting with dumbbells and had recently increased the weight. And the arthritis in my right hand and wrist said a very clear "no" to that. So I'm having to go back down for a bit. In general walking is great, just make sure you have good shoes. It's easy to adjust your distance and pace to fit your needs. Biking (regular or exercise) is often a good choice for people with arthritis. And gentle yoga can be a fabulous choice for people with arthritis. Good luck!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis, similar to RA. I do bodyweight exercises, some dumbbell work, suspension training and kettlebell exercises. The benefits from adding strength have been outstanding. I'm in far less pain now. I had to start slow at first, simply doing push ups and planks. As I got stronger I added more exercises and increased the intensity. It took a took year to build up to a complete routine.
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Want2bSlimmer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have AS, OA and tmj. Elliptical, some stength work with Dumbells, walking videos, Pilates. I slowly learnt and am still learning what I can do and can't.. I can't do a lot but I can also do a lot.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    For me the only hard and fast rule is listen to my body.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I tried water aerobics and swimming and my knee locked up for a day. I like the suggestions of desiresdestiny. Good luck.
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    I feel you. I tried water aerobics and swimming and my knee locked up for a day. I like the suggestions of desiresdestiny. Good luck.

Me too! Off to join the gym today
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Which of your joints are most affected? I OA in my lumbar spine and have been having a really rough time of it lately when it comes to exercise. I find Yoga to be doable with modifications (even though it doesn't burn a ton of calories it helps me maintain flexibility which is great). I don't like water based exercise either, because the water is never warm enough haha, but I will turn to the pool when I'm in too much pain to walk or bicycle. The recumbent bike at the gym is useful for me as well, and I walk a lot - slowly and carefully, to be sure - but 12k steps in a day still adds up. I used to run and I miss it terribly. My doctor tells me he thinks he can get me back to it but honestly I don't have a lot of hope for it.
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Which of your joints are most affected? I OA in my lumbar spine and have been having a really rough time of it lately when it comes to exercise. I find Yoga to be doable with modifications (even though it doesn't burn a ton of calories it helps me maintain flexibility which is great). I don't like water based exercise either, because the water is never warm enough haha, but I will turn to the pool when I'm in too much pain to walk or bicycle. The recumbent bike at the gym is useful for me as well, and I walk a lot - slowly and carefully, to be sure - but 12k steps in a day still adds up. I used to run and I miss it terribly. My doctor tells me he thinks he can get me back to it but honestly I don't have a lot of hope for it.

Foot/ankle the worst, surgery has been recommended but I'm very reluctant as 18 bones in my foot plus the joint between foot & ankle are destroyed with the arthritis so success rate is only around 50% at best.
    My hip/knee/lower back are affected but manageable.
    I'd love yoga but I struggle really badly getting up/down for floor poses
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Options
    I've been looking at the Leslie Sansome walking dvd's .... Anyone used them?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have used the Walk Away The Pounds DVDs, at the beginning of my weight loss process when it was too cold to walk outside. We've since moved to California though so I do most of my walking outside now. They're definitely effective. If you're not sure about it you might check to see if you can borrow them from your local library to see if it's something your joints can handle before you put out the $ for them, just a thought!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I use the Leslie Sansone video Walk Away the Pounds. It does get me up and walking at home, although most of the time now I just put on some good music and walk to that - either with the video on mute, or without the video. I have issues with ankles, knees and hips, so I need to be careful with how much walking I do. The whole routine is 30 minutes, and I can't do the whole thing at once. I do what I can, and then rest, and then do more later.

Have you thought about chair yoga? I can't get up and down from the floor either, so can't do regular yoga. I've found a nice routine on Youtube, and it's free. It's called "Gentle Chair Yoga Routine" and it's posted by Cara Kircher.
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    I use the Leslie Sansone video Walk Away the Pounds. It does get me up and walking at home, although most of the time now I just put on some good music and walk to that - either with the video on mute, or without the video. I have issues with ankles, knees and hips, so I need to be careful with how much walking I do. The whole routine is 30 minutes, and I can't do the whole thing at once. I do what I can, and then rest, and then do more later.

Have you thought about chair yoga? I can't get up and down from the floor either, so can't do regular yoga. I've found a nice routine on Youtube, and it's free. It's called "Gentle Chair Yoga Routine" and it's posted by Cara Kircher.

I've not heard chair yoga before, thank you I shall look it up
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Walking!!! I was diagnosed with RA earlier this year (fortunately caught in the early stages). 6 months before diagnosis I could barely walk my feet hurt so much -- I thought it was joint pain due to being overweight but when I complained to my doctor she said it was probably RA. Once the diagnosis was officially made I made up my mind to clean up my eating, lose weight, and start doing some form of exercise (use it or lose it). I found walking every day helped reduce the pain and stiffness associated with RA. It also helped me lose weight. I started slow but was able to increase time/distance as the pain in my feet decreased. After 9 months I now average 11-12 K steps a day and no longer hobble down the stairs in the morning like a 90-yr old woman. I do use the Leslie Sansone videos for those days I can't walk outside or get on a treadmill.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I can't recommend water-based exercise enough, but it's your choice when you find out the options.

Another water baby here and I recommend it to everyone. I have osteoarthritis in my left knee and my right foot. I walk, swim laps, and do a water aerobics class.

The one thing that worked well for me when my foot flared up really bad, that also did not make the knee hurt, was a recumbent cross trainer. Something about having my legs in front of me, rather than under me, helped prevent a flare-up in the knee.