Pizza... is it really THAT Bad?

Options
I never thought pizza was that big of a deal as long as you had it in moderation.. I'm talking 1, or 2 slices. But to classify it as a 'cheat meal' seems a bit overboard to me. I know I know, there are better things to eat, and I'm sure it's loaded with carbs, but come one. It's EVERYWHERE! I can't just AVOID it.. There's no way I'm going to ditch the one slice of pizza at the party and go for the salad every time. I mean, if all of my friends are having 5+ pieces, isn't one better than that?
People here seem to frown upon poor, poor pizza more than I feel like it should be frowned upon. Lol.

Any opinions on this?
I appreciate your replies :)

Thanks,
Mae :)

Replies

• Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    What a timely post, had to laugh! Just had Domino's Pizza for dinner!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love pizza and never will give it up! There's ways to make it without flour crust like a "crust" made from shredded zucchini.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I have pizza every once in a while. 1 or 2 slices. It usually kills me on the sodium but I usually try to fit it into my calorie goal if I'm going to have it. Meh, it is what it is.

Oh yeah, and honestly I don't really care what other people think of what I eat anyways so...
    I work hard and allow myself to indulge once a week so if they have an issue with it.. tough.
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I end up having pizza every Thursday. Is it the best? No. Is it the worst? Certainly not. I get veggies on it, watch what I eat that day, and enjoy!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I eat most of the time healthy and I exercise so Im sure one or two slices from time to time wont do any damage!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I've totally been craving pizza for the last couple weeks. Might get myself a thin crust for dinner! With veggies. And bacon.

I can't cut anything clear out of my diet, otherwise I would go nuts! I agree, eat the foods you enjoy, just do so in moderation! All of my tiny friends eat pizza like it's going out of style, lol, so I would like to enjoy a slice with them every so often!

P.S. There is an ad for Papa John's at the top of the screen as I'm typing this, lol.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, imo. I've had one or two slices of pizza once or twice a month and have still managed to lose 37 lbs. The way I look at it is if I am within my calorie goal then I'm not cheating.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    Pizza once a week here. I work it into my calorie goal, and usually eat if before my final work out of the night!
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    I couldn't live without pizza! I don't have it every week, although I would LOVE to! I say go for it! Just keep track of your calories, and if you go over for a day, once in a while, that's okay!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I never thought pizza was that big of a deal as long as you had it in moderation.. I'm talking 1, or 2 slices. But to classify it as a 'cheat meal' seems a bit overboard to me. I know I know, there are better things to eat, and I'm sure it's loaded with carbs, but come one. It's EVERYWHERE! I can't just AVOID it.. There's no way I'm going to ditch the one slice of pizza at the party and go for the salad every time. I mean, if all of my friends are having 5+ pieces, isn't one better than that?
    People here seem to frown upon poor, poor pizza more than I feel like it should be frowned upon. Lol.

Any opinions on this?
    I appreciate your replies :)

Thanks,
    Mae :)

It sounds like you already have your mind made up lol. So even if I told you pizza was the fruit of the devil and don't touch it...I doubt you'd listen =p.

Honestly though...just be sensible. Don't eat a whole pizza for dinner every night...and you'll be fine. A slice here or there isn't going to kill anyone's diet plan...unless it's a trigger food for you.
  • ElizabethDoesCrossfit
    ElizabethDoesCrossfit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation! Don't tell yourself you aren't allowed to have something you're used to, it'll just make you want to rebel more. So have one or two pieces, watch what you eat the rest of the day . Go eat pizza! (:
  • TiffyBear415_xx
    Options
    I think as long as you dont go over your calories you'll be fine. I cant give up pizza either.
  • Singerbc
    Singerbc Posts: 4
    Options
    I can do with out pizza and it wont kill me, but when I want a skice I will have a slice. I have really been cal crazy lately so if I did have a slice I would just hit the gym a little harder that day or that week.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle, not a diet, so no, you can't cut out pizza completely. Some pizza is worse than others, depending on toppings. I actually like bacon and onion pizza from dominos, and have it a couple of times a month. A medium is only 220 calories a slice. I figure this is why I kill myself at the gym...so I can have pizza sometimes.
  • larryiraorange
    Options
    One or two slices are not bad. The problem with pizza and me is that I ALWAYS want more than one or two... :P
  • PorcelainPirate
    Options
    I adore pizza, and my philosophy is 'everything in moderation', but I do have a good metabolism and I know that this approach doesn't work for everybody.

One of the things I've been exploring more recently is more 'gourmet' rustic Italian style pizza - for example made without cheese/ a tiny bit of ricotta rather that slathered in mozzarella, and different sauces on the base - eg homemade pesto/ bechamel sauce made with skim milk. Sometimes those richer toppings make all the difference, because you need to eat less of them to have a satisfying meal. Some of the options out there have such a decadent restaurant feel too, which is always nice!

One of my favourites at the moment is a thin homemade base topped with ricotta, apricot, and prosciutto, then sprinkled with fresh rocket when it comes out of the oven. Yummy, and perfect for spring :)
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love pizza - haven't ever had one I didn't like! I agree - in moderation is fine (although I'd probably eat it once or twice a week if I could!!) I just make sure it fits into my calories for the day, and don't worry about it beyond that. Enjoy!!
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I honestly will probably never cut pizza out-- even if I find "better" ways to make it healthier or simply limit myself to 2 slices-- it's something I enjoy. I believe all things in moderation, and so far since the 4 mos I've been here, it's worked fine for me.:smile:
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMM...PIZZA! :love: :love: :love:
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Yeah, I might be able to fit it into my meal plan- but here's the problem- the shut off mechanism in my brain MALFUNCTIONS when I put a piece of pizza in my mouth ( same thing happens with Chocolate Chip Cookies too)
    Maybe I'm not the only one- and why so many avoid it like the plaque??????? Just a suggestion.
    I know- EVERYTHING in moderation........but until I master it, I just avoid it.
    Like the old saying goes, "I don't need lead to temptation, I KNOW exactly where it's at...."