Car accident and surgery -- major setback!

Options
Need your advice! I was in a car accident on Sunday and my wrist is broken in two places. It needs surgery and healing time. I'm disappointed because I'd just started really getting into running! Have any of you dealt with a major setback like this? I still have 20 pounds to lose!

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that! I know how frustrating it is when you are getting into something and then you have to stop. Why don't you try walking? Like make a plan to walk long distances? Or if you have a treadmill you can work on increasing the incline. Good luck!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I injured my neck 9 months ago in such a way that it kept me from any physical exertion for 4 months, and another 3 months at limited exertion. It also complicated my eating habits because frankly it hurt to be standing up to do anything, like cooking and meal prep.

I'm just getting back into my normal routines in the past 4 weeks. I completely understand the frustration.

The good news is that running will be there when you heal. If you do the complete opposite of me and actually adjust your calorie intake, then you can continue to lose weight.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i hurt my knee back in October and it took me about a month to get back into the gym. I used the month as a mental break, i still tracked but wasn't as accurate and wasn't exercising. Did i gain a few pounds? Yes, however, i feel much better than i did before i took my mental break. Rest up and try to stick to your calorie goal and let your body heal!
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First, I'm glad you're going to be ok. Second, can you use this this time to do other exercises (with doctor's permission of course) or tighten up your eating plan (weighing foods, trying new recipes, etc)?

Healing takes time but it doesn't have to be 100% a setback.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating at maintenance while you are healing. Your body needs fuel to heal efficiently. Consult with your doctor on how active you can be.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had leg surgery in August getting some hardware remove, and with recovery it set me back about 2 months from running. I was careful to watch my calorie intake; and as soon as I could get around some I started walking (with my doc's approval). Then, in October I started easing back into running with the C25K app. I may not be back at the point I was before, but I'm doing something and feel great. Hopefully, your recovery will be a speedy one. I agree with others to get the needed rest and go walking as an exercise. Maybe it won't be too long you can start running some. Make sure your doctor approves of anything you decide to do so that it won't delay recovery. Good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and wish you a speedy recovery :)

If exercise isn't an option for you, just be extra vigilant with your calorie intake whilst you're healing. Perhaps lower your intake whilst your unable to do your exercise. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to eat at maintenance until you are healed so you can put all that energy into recovery.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance or above as your body needs more calories for healing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Remember, that weight loss comes from the deficit, so exercise is unnecessary. After you heal, you'll be able to walk to help that deficit.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I was in a car crash two months ago when someone ran into me while I was riding my bike. We don't call that an accident. It was a car crash. It's not ok for someone to hit a person with a multi-ton piece of equipment.

http://crashnotaccident.com

The result was a fractured hand, bruised ribs and hips. I've been waiting to start pt ant ot because the insurance company that handles my medical submissions is dragging their feet about giving authorization.

All that aside, my activity and eating solution is to walk when I can, give myself time to heal, change my activity level to less active. A broken wrist means I can't continue with my strength training and I was told to stop teaching my fitness classes. But I've been walking, moderating my food, and I'm planning to start working out on the stationary bicycle next week.

I've had worse set backs and this is a matter of being mindful. The worst thing to do in a situation like this is to spend energy arguing with what is.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that, get well soon. 6 shoulder operations and 2 hand operations so have some experience with this. Watch your diet which is 80-90% of weight control/loss. Check with your doctor/PT but you should probably be able to walk and do lower body weight machines at the gym in a week or 2. after the surgery.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Need your advice! I was in a car accident on Sunday and my wrist is broken in two places. It needs surgery and healing time. I'm disappointed because I'd just started really getting into running! Have any of you dealt with a major setback like this? I still have 20 pounds to lose!
    I was in hit by a car early this year. There were several broken bones, confining me to a bed for three weeks and a wheelchair for sometime afterward. I wasn't cleared to run until late July. I raised my distance to 3.5 miles this week and have been feeling pretty fine, though I'm not where I was at before. There was some muscle loss.

I did whatever exercises I could safely do at the time and ate above maintenance (well above to be honest) to aid healing.

My shoulder and ankle have pretty neat scars :wink:
  • alisonadame
    alisonadame Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your words of positivity and wisdom. It's so reassuring to know that I will be able to get back into fitness eventually, but I need to first focus on healing. Thanks again!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance or above as your body needs more calories for healing.

+1. Setbacks from injury *suck* but you've got to think about the long game.