Should I attempt 5k or wait?

Replies

• djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    If the Dr says you will not harm yourself then go for it just to experience the "across the bridge and over the river" view. You can get an idea of the incline so when you are at 100% you know best what to expect. Set no goal but to finish it whether or not you run or walk.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    djscavone wrote: »
    If the Dr says you will not harm yourself then go for it just to experience the "across the bridge and over the river" view. You can get an idea of the incline so when you are at 100% you know best what to expect. Set no goal but to finish it whether or not you run or walk.

Good feedback! Thank you!
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Just keep in mind to go at your own pace. Run a little, walk some, run...etc. Keep well hydrated and nourished.
    If at any time you think you need to rest, just do it.
    Hope you have fun with whatever you decide!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Just do it what do you have to lose?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    I agree with walking the first 2 miles (speed walk) then run the last bit. Good for you for doing all this!

Thank you! I'm planning on walking 1 mile at most, but I found out last night the temp will be just under freezing still by the time it starts. I love running in cool weather, but never have that cold, I have to find warm stuff to wear, at least for my head anyways, so we will see how that affects my running.

I agree with Stan on the importance of running outside to accustom your body to the surface. In addition, there's no substitute for running outside to accustom your body to the weather. Freezing isn't all that cold to run in; but it's a big jump from running at indoor temperature to running at freezing. It's a lot easier if you start running outside in shirt sleeve weather and just adapt through the fall as the weather gets colder.

That, and as the weather changes you learn what you need to wear outside for various weather conditions. It's much better to already *know* how you need to dress for running at freezing than to be guessing on race day. Unfortunately, no one else can tell you specifically what to wear, because different people react differently and need to add layers at different temperatures.
  • Becky_44
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for your feedback! It is much appreciated. I know Stan gives great running advice too, he helped me achieve my goals when I first started running over a year ago. So the advice I get is very valuable to me!

I know what is comfortable for me to run in, and I know how my body reacts to the cold, so I am wearing a long sleeve shirt that's not thick, but will give me a little more than my light jacket, then I have some gloves and hat, so I can take both off and stuff in my pocket if I need. When I run at home, I'm in the back room, that isn't insulated but we have a vent, so I turn the heat off and open the door, I start out real cold, so much so it's hard to move, but as soon as I get going it feels amazing. And that's what I have done with this cold system we have had. I know none of it will be the same as running out there, but I have rode and walked in very wet, cold, stormy even snowy weather so I have some idea of what I need. I just was curious what others do.

Like I said, I don't know if this is at all practical as far as running a full 5k, I know I am not where I wanted to be when it came time, but I'm signed up and have my packet for tomorrow, and since the only time I have walked for anything was Relay for Life this past Summer, this will be a very welcomed challenge for me no matter the outcome! :smiley:
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    I agree with walking the first 2 miles (speed walk) then run the last bit. Good for you for doing all this!

Thank you! I'm planning on walking 1 mile at most, but I found out last night the temp will be just under freezing still by the time it starts. I love running in cool weather, but never have that cold, I have to find warm stuff to wear, at least for my head anyways, so we will see how that affects my running.

I agree with Stan on the importance of running outside to accustom your body to the surface. In addition, there's no substitute for running outside to accustom your body to the weather. Freezing isn't all that cold to run in; but it's a big jump from running at indoor temperature to running at freezing. It's a lot easier if you start running outside in shirt sleeve weather and just adapt through the fall as the weather gets colder.

That, and as the weather changes you learn what you need to wear outside for various weather conditions. It's much better to already *know* how you need to dress for running at freezing than to be guessing on race day. Unfortunately, no one else can tell you specifically what to wear, because different people react differently and need to add layers at different temperatures.
  • Becky_44
    That's what I was thinking when I signed up! ;) Thank you!
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Just do it what do you have to lose?

• Becky_44
    Thank you! That's the most important thing for me is to have fun! I think no matter what, that's what it will be!
    Just keep in mind to go at your own pace. Run a little, walk some, run...etc. Keep well hydrated and nourished.
    If at any time you think you need to rest, just do it.
    Hope you have fun with whatever you decide!

• Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 121 Member
    All you need to do is finish. Treat that as your goal, ignore how much time you walk and how fast you run - thats NOT important for this first 5km. Just be in the moment, enjoy the outside, enjoy the fresh air as it cools you...focus on just keeping your breath nice and steady and love it.

It you need something to think about remember the "Tortoise and the Hare!!!"

It's Thanks Giving, YOUR first 5km race and you ONLY need to finish. Finishing will then give you a target to beat for the future...but the first one says:

"Hi I'm Becky, I'm giving thanks for the journey i'm on, the life I have and the life i want and this is the first of many races"

Happy Thanks Giving Becky, have a great day, enjoy it.
  • Becky_44
    edited November 2015
    Wow! Thank you so much for this! I so appreciate it!

We lost my dad 5 months ago, I had already been struggling with a dark depression the last couple of years, and I told myself that my dad passing was not going to send me deeper into that. He was an amazing man, full of love and courage, and I have been living through his strength since, and this was one of the steps I wanted/needed to take as a way to honor my dads life, by living my life to its fullest, no matter how much fear I have to face, So you really nailed what my intentions are here! :)

Ian_Davies wrote: »
    All you need to do is finish. Treat that as your goal, ignore how much time you walk and how fast you run - thats NOT important for this first 5km. Just be in the moment, enjoy the outside, enjoy the fresh air as it cools you...focus on just keeping your breath nice and steady and love it.
    It you need something to think about remember the "Tortoise and the Hare!!!"

It's Thanks Giving, YOUR first 5km race and you ONLY need to finish. Finishing will then give you a target to beat for the future...but the first one says:

"Hi I'm Becky, I'm giving thanks for the journey i'm on, the life I have and the life i want and this is the first of many races"

Happy Thanks Giving Becky, have a great day, enjoy it.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Looking forward to hearing how you go today, Becky!

Just remember:

'Finished Last'
    Beats 'did not finish'
    Beats 'did not start'.

You've already started with C25K, so you're a winner for sure!

Just have fun, and good luck!
  • Becky_44
    Thank you! It was incredibly fun!
    Orphia wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing how you go today, Becky!

Just remember:

'Finished Last'
    Beats 'did not finish'
    Beats 'did not start'.

You've already started with C25K, so you're a winner for sure!

Just have fun, and good luck!

• Becky_44
    The Run'ucopia was SOOO much fun!! And it went way better than I expected! I ran all but about a min, had to relieve the pressure off my calf, took my hat off and cooled down a bit, and ran the rest. I even thought we were near the finish line only to find we were running past it for another large loop before coming back up and I forgot about some of the incline, and forgot how much of a climb the hill to the bridge was but I ran all those. It really felt amazing! My pace was steady all the way through, I was really proud of that cause I have struggled so much with my pace out on the road. The pavement didn't phase me at all. And then I was on a natural high the rest of the day! With the struggles I have had to run, it really was a dream to do what I did yesterday!

Thank you all for your support, encouragement, and advice! I most likely would not have signed up if not for you all! :)
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Yay!!!! Congratulations, Becky!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Wahoo! Remember this feeling.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Yay Becky! Well done!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Well done, Becky!

Enjoy the feeling, and be sure to allow your body enough recovery time after running farther than you knew you could. Don't beat yourself up if you find your training runs the next few days harder than you expected. Be gentle with yourself, because recovery is an important part of the training cycle.
  • Becky_44
    edited November 2015
    Thanks all! And thanks for the great after race advice!!
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Well done, Becky!

Enjoy the feeling, and be sure to allow your body enough recovery time after running farther than you knew you could. Don't beat yourself up if you find your training runs the next few days harder than you expected. Be gentle with yourself, because recovery is an important part of the training cycle.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2015
    congrats

and in the future, what to wear for the weather outside
  • Becky_44
    moyer566 wrote: »
    congrats

and in the future, what to wear for the weather outside

Thank you!