Protein in vegetarian diet

Options
Hi everyone, As you know one needs more protein and less carbs in order to get abs and weight loss but the issue is tht i am vegetarian. I try to eat eggs, chickpeas and quinoa but i need more options of protein so that i can have it with every meal. Can anyone help?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, tofu, yoghurt, TVP (quorn)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Whey protein Isolate! No brainer!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're eating now, but you don't necessarily need to eat more protein and less carbohydrates to lose weight. Weight is lost based on calories consumed, not the amount of carbohydrates that you eat. I lost weight while about 60% of my diet was carbohydrates -- I just counted calories. And I'm now maintaining that weight loss. That said, if you're looking to add more protein to your diet, there are some good sources in the post above mine. I also like seitan (very high protein), tempeh, and protein powders. There are so many good bean choices besides chickpeas -- I love black beans, lentils, and kidney beans especially. Mixing up your beans will also give you more variety in your diet.
  • hotelsix
    hotelsix Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This chart may be useful to you.
    You can also try protein powders.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    tempeh,seitan,tofu,beans,oatmeal,nuts,green peas,tvp
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I eat at a calorie deficit and I try and eat my minimum protein to prevent unintended side effects. You can lose weight on an all-carb diet. Not that I am advocating that.

protein2.jpg
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Dairy all day.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Lentils tofu Greek yoghurt

If your a "vegetarian" fish is also good.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

If you're a vegetarian fish is not an option. If you add fish to a vegetarian diet then you're a pescatarian.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    If you have a high protein target, and a medium to low carb target, it might not be possible to meet those without protein supplements.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

If you're a vegetarian fish is not an option. If you add fish to a vegetarian diet then you're a pescatarian.

Yeah that's why I said vegetarian in quotes :smiley:

For some vegetarian is not eating cute animals like cows and chickens.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    xaynabshah wrote: »
    Hi everyone, As you know one needs more protein and less carbs in order to get abs and weight loss but the issue is tht i am vegetarian. I try to eat eggs, chickpeas and quinoa but i need more options of protein so that i can have it with every meal. Can anyone help?

Sorry, that isn't actually true.

But if you need to reach your goal i would suggest tofu, seitan, quorn, greek yogurt, whey protein powder, and protein bars.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    before finding a greek yogurt i actually like, i use to often use manitoba harvest hemp hearts with most meals for extra protein & fiber. you can sprinkle/add them to just about anything, especially great mixed into quinoa, oatmeal, vegetables and green/fruit smoothies IMO.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    xaynabshah wrote: »

This isn't true
    You need low body fat and progressive resistance work
    You should aim for a minimum of 0.64-0.8g protein per lb bodyweight
    Carbs not relevant
  • usakotaco
    usakotaco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A regular meal of mine is the quorn "chicken tenders" with any stir fry veggies, and change up how I season it to keep it interesting. I know not everyone is into meat substitutes as vegetarians, but it just makes it so easy to have a familiar meal. Also, premier protein shakes (great blended with pb2 and banana) or Quest bars make really good easy sources of protein that you don't have to resort prep
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The reason that eating enough protein is hard for some people is because they are not willing to reduce carbs/sugars in order to fit the protein into their day. :)
    Also, some are not comfortable with the fat that often comes with some protein.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I eat a mostly vegan diet and yoghurt and have no problems eating more than adequate daily protein while losing weight. Either of two approaches work:

1. Exercise daily, so that your total calories a day can increase
    2. Avoid junk food for sure, and moderate fruits so that your protein/calorie ratio is higher.

As an example, using the famous 1200 kCal a day MFP diet regimen for a sedentary person, a 50 Kg lean mass and a 0.8 gram/Kg daily protein requirement, the arithmetic looks this way:

40 grams of protein a day, equal to 160 kCal
    160/1200 = 13.3% average protein calories in your foods.

There are too many foods to count that have 13% protein (cal/cal), so eat a tasty, varied diet. When I have looked at my logs my average protein is in the 30 - 35% range IIRC.
  • PalmChris
    PalmChris Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but Birdseye has some protein steamfresh packs in 4 flavor/mix assortments, containing beans, lentils, quinoa, a couple of them have soy beans. Not bad. Then theres always pinto beans, black beans...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Give lupins a try. I usually have them as a snack. They are easy to prepare too, just boil until they're ready in water salted to taste. No other ingredients needed. They have 26 grams of protein per cup, which has 193 calories, that's more than half of their calories in protein alone. One of the highest vegetarian protein options after eggs and soy products.