Pre Workout?

Options
Hey I'm looking to get a pre workout supplement and was interested if anyone had any opinions on it and suggestions on what kind/brand is better???

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a pre workout? Because everyone else thinks they're necessary?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    coffee- it's my preworkout of choice.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Banana and a caffeine pill for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Before and during - coffee with coconut oil, protein powder, and chia seeds.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not necessary....but if u really want one. I'd go with...

e3llb0rewnco.jpg

>:)

• elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    coffee- it's my preworkout of choice.

+1 yep, I love my coffee. Also, I usually eat 2 or 3 hours before my workout.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

I'm ok with a banana... but anyone who chooses to take a caffeine pill vs drinking actual coffee should probably not be trusted! :p

I eat super light early in the day, and the vast majority of my exercise is done after at least 12-16 hours of minimal food. And as long as I've got a couple hundred calories in me after I wake up, I don't think I suffer from lack of nutrition unless I'm going to hit it hard and burn 1000+ calories doing cardio or something.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Coffee. I can't stand pre-workout supplements/drinks - they make me feel jittery and my workouts go just fine without them anyway. Waste of money IMO.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    richln wrote: »

I'm ok with a banana... but anyone who chooses to take a caffeine pill vs drinking actual coffee should probably not be trusted! :p

I eat super light early in the day, and the vast majority of my exercise is done after at least 12-16 hours of minimal food. And as long as I've got a couple hundred calories in me after I wake up, I don't think I suffer from lack of nutrition unless I'm going to hit it hard and burn 1000+ calories doing cardio or something.

I love my coffee, just can't do it before a workout because of reflux.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Coffee, water, a small sandwich.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't work for me as I take the subway home one hour on my way to the gym, as I'm simultaneously falling asleep after working with children all day and being pushed around by rush hour commuters...sooooo...I like MuscleTech. C4 is fine if it is your first pre workout.
  • kmayers143
    kmayers143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use C4 as well. Fruit Punch is good. That's usually my go to one.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do C4 and creatine although coffee would work the cost is about the same day to day and I like a cold drink when working out.

For cardio my HR is consistently 15-20 beats faster on C4 (145-150) than not on C4 so I don't use it for cardio any longer now that my weight is where I want it..
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hate beta alanine, which is in most pre-workouts. I am very sensitive to it and end up itchy over every inch of my body. I use MAN Sports Game Day. Great pump and good energy.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee haha
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Love preworkouts. Love the caffeine kick. Love the beta alanine itch. No matter how tired I am, I always get revved up mentally to go lift after a preworkout. Currently using Pulse by Legion for the last 6 months, and pretty happy with it. If you don't like beta alanine though, this won't be the one for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Caffeine has no impact on me, so I don't really do anything for a pre workout.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Caffeine has no impact on me, so I don't really do anything for a pre workout.

Thanks for this post. I have a high tolerance to stimulants and had been considering a pre workout since my exercise routine could use a kick in the pants. I think maybe I just need to kick it in without trying supplements.
  • kmalesic6767
    kmalesic6767 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Beet juice powder mixed with Vega energizer and pycnogenol. If I'm doing core workouts, I add 2 pills of amplified creatine 189. My stamina for my age is very good. Have to stay consistent on your workouts though, that is the key.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Breakfast or lunch or a glass of water is my normal pre workout.

I'm a non-responder to caffeine as well @psulemon - fell asleep riding a motorbike home from nightshift once despite caffeine pills.