egg whites or egg beaters?

Options
adagolden
adagolden Posts: 146 Member
Ok, was at the supermarket today and trying to decide which egg substitute I should get. They really look almost the same, nutrition wise to me. Other than a tiny bit more sodium in the egg beaters, they are so similar.

Is one better than the other?

Replies

• ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Egg whites are better. The cartons only contain egg whites. Egg beaters contain egg whites and another paragraph of additives and crap. That would be why egg whites ARE better.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I say egg whites, but that is just my opinion.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    definitely the egg whites ;)
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use the egg white because they are just pure egg whites. I usually add 1 whole egg to the the omelet or scrambled egg I'm making with them only because I don't like just plain egg whites.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I say real eggwhites from whole eggs! MUCH cheaper and they only take a second to crack & separate....and you know egg-sactly what you are getting :laugh: (sorry...couldn't resist!)
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i like beaters for quiches and frittatas. i never buy the just whites.......i crack eggs for that.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am going to go with egg whites because it is natural and not processed
  • egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am such a picky eater so I guess for me I need a yellow egg. I tried egg whites and I just couldn't get over the fact that they didn't look or taste too much like eggs. I tried to put some Hot Sauce on it to color it up. I like Egg Beaters.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I say real eggwhites from whole eggs! MUCH cheaper and they only take a second to crack & separate....and you know egg-sactly what you are getting :laugh: (sorry...couldn't resist!)
    100% agreed!!! Who knows where those "egg beaters" really come from...and what they are! Your egg-scatly right hahah!!! and clever ;)
  • Butterfly310
    Options
    Egg whites all the way. They are delicious and taste like real eggs, and are way better for you.
  • Butterfly310
    Options
    Cograts on 26 lbs lost!!!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the others ... Egg Whites for if you want whites, and if you want more eggy eggs just use real eggs or put a real whole egg in with some egg whites.

Real eggs get a bad rap - they are very healthy and good for you. Much better than fake eggs no matter how you figure. :flowerforyou:
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am such a picky eater so I guess for me I need a yellow egg. I tried egg whites and I just couldn't get over the fact that they didn't look or taste too much like eggs. I tried to put some Hot Sauce on it to color it up. I like Egg Beaters.

me too....same reasons...lol :flowerforyou:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it's both cheaper and healthier to buy plain old eggs and toss the yolks. Then you've got 100% egg whites, no added chemicals, no stabilizers or any of that misc. nonsense.

So you hate to waste?

Save the yolks and teach your kids how to make tempera paint with them...
    http://www.adelle.com.au/how-to-make-tempera-paint.

A little food coloring and yolks you were going to toss any way. So you can have lots of fun experimenting. If it doesn't turn out try something different with the next batch.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I ended up getting the egg whites and had a delicious mixture of turkey, peppers and cheese mixed with it. I think I will stick with the whites, they are so good.

Again, great advice from you all, thank you.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of egg whites. I buy a brand called "All Whites" and that's exactly what they are. It is a little more expensive than just buying eggs and separating them but in the morning (I run a business AND have a full time job) I don't always have a lot of time so every second counts.
  • egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you - I was being to think I was weirder that I already am.