Detoxes

Options
Has anyone ever been successful after a week long detox that they can recommend? After the New Years I plan to try one but I'm hoping I can score Black Friday deals for it now.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally removes any toxins that you encounter. In the rare event that your body fails to do this, you would know right away because you would be very, very ill.

"Detoxes" are simply a way to separate you from your money.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

^Came here to post this. Definitely give the first post in this thread a read.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a detox does nothing other than provide temporary results and at a hefty price (money and time spent in the bathroom). Rather than looking for a deal on something that you would start after New Years, why not just start using MFP as designed NOW. By New Years you could lose 5 or so pounds and head into January already in the routine of watching what you eat, logging, exercising... So you'll have a leg up on all the resolutioners just starting out!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    j_marie913 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been successful after a week long detox that they can recommend? After the New Years I plan to try one but I'm hoping I can score Black Friday deals for it now.
    Detoxes aren't scientifically supported to detox anything out of the body. This type of advertising is to get people who lack knowledge about weight loss to spend their hard earned money on a product(s) that just include a calorie deficit, some to the extreme.
    CALORIE DEFICIT is what causes weight loss.
    And if the intention is to "clean out" your body because of "horrible" eating, just eat less and better. That's all you need to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Save your money! No need to waste it on some worthless scam no matter how good of a sale it is.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing to get lighter will be your wallet, and the only 'detox' occurring will be to 'detox' your bank account of some dirty money.

Your body has built-in mechanisms to "detox" itself. Unless you're coming off an addiction to drugs/alcohol, no "detox" does anything but rip you off.

Ask somebody what specific 'toxins' a detox is supposed to remove, and by what mechanism it happens. I have yet to see anybody give a credible answer to those questions.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Ask somebody what specific 'toxins' a detox is supposed to remove, and by what mechanism it happens.

The GMOZ and the Glutinz, of course.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've asked this question a hundred times on here and have never, not once, received an answer..

What toxins are you hoping to remove from your body. What have you eaten or drunk that has made you toxic?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    My body detoxes itself.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    I've asked this question a hundred times on here and have never, not once, received an answer..

What toxins are you hoping to remove from your body. What have you eaten or drunk that has made you toxic?

I guess maybe if you've been eating uranium and drinking arsenic, a detox would be in order.

But you'd have more pressing issues than wanting to "jump start" your weight loss.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options

...and you'll never get an answer.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    These detox questions pop up everyday, and at work I hear the odd employee talk about them...teas, pills, drinks, chocolates, acai berry....amazing how many. I do not know anyone who said how amazing they felt after, and how they all of a sudden were inspired on the strength of this new found cleanliness to take care of themselves and lose weight.
    Eat better, save your money for electronics and wine.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "I guess maybe if you've been eating uranium and drinking arsenic"

You mean they don't give you superpowers?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    "I guess maybe if you've been eating uranium and drinking arsenic"

You mean they don't give you superpowers?

*looks around furtively* Shhhhh.....