Wrong time of year??

Options
Really finding it hard to focus on eating heathy and making right choices, is it the wrong time of year or maybe I'm not in the right mind to start eating heathy?
I need to lose minimum of 18lbs would like 28lbs got my calories at 1500 just finding it hard to say NO!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Any time of year you can find an excuse not to start. Lose the excuses. Even if you don't do perfect start now, after the holidays you'll be further ahead then if you didn't start at all.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend I set my calories at 1/2 lb loss then up it until after the festive season?
    I lost almost 4 stone on slimming world then they changed their plan and I don't like it, plus they make you feel bad when you gain so when I know i've gained I didn't go!!
    I hate the way I look, I feel sick when I look at myself in the mirror and I know people look at me and are saying OMG she's gained weight
  • MandyC1972
    MandyC1972 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I joined 2 weeks ago and just because it's nearly Christmas doesn't give an excuse to drop out. In 2 weeks I've lost 1/2 a pound so that works out as 1/4 lb per week. Now I know that doesn't seem like much but the way I look at it is I'm lighter than I was 2 weeks ago. I don't have a lot to loose therefore my calories are very limited which makes it difficult. I up my calorie intake with exercise it's something I do every week anyway. You do what you think is achievable and if it mean 1/2 lb goal per week just do it, stop thinking about it and get on with it. You can do this!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you like, go on and start small/slow and keep adding nice changes as you go. Then you'll get to enjoy the holiday food almost as much as you usually do as you also slip into your new lifestyle. It's great to jump in completely and even do it all this time of year, but just starting and doing better is a good start.

Log everything, though. You do have to know what you are consuming. If you plan on adding exercise, go on and start some of that now, too. Good luck!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Agree... That's an excuse. If you wait, you'll find a new excuse to match the new season. Having targeted losses, however, can be very smart. So set yourself to the least ambitious level & get really really good at this during the holiday season. Win, win.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Also: when 'people' look at us, they are rarely thinking anything about us. Period. We are all remarkably self absorbed in this way, and tend to focus on our own problems. Rewrite that script in your head. This is not about what 'other people' might (however unlikely) possibly think. This is by you, for you, about you. Get in your own head & stay there!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend I set my calories at 1/2 lb loss then up it until after the festive season?
    I lost almost 4 stone on slimming world then they changed their plan and I don't like it, plus they make you feel bad when you gain so when I know i've gained I didn't go!!
    I hate the way I look, I feel sick when I look at myself in the mirror and I know people look at me and are saying OMG she's gained weight

It's not a bad idea to go for 1/2 lb particularly with such a small amount to lose

If you like the old slimming world plan there's no reason you can't continue to follow it

Anybody making you feel bad for gaining weight is not worth your attention

Nobody ever thinks OMG she's gained weight...you are not that much of a focus for other people, none of us are

Do this for you...but quit the self loathing and the excuses

You can do it
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    It's never a good time. It's always a good time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In you can, consider increasing your activity during this time.
  • lilypond45
    lilypond45 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started two weeks ago (again). I think it's a great time of year to start. It's good to get control before the floodgates open. Today I'm going to a Christmas fair, previous years I would have eaten normally, scoffed down mince pies etc. This year I'm being careful before I go and saving calories for that mince pie. It would be so depressing to start new year even heavier.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    "A year from now you'd wish you started today ". This always keeps me going.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Take this time to focus on logging your food. Find out the places that you are losing the battle at the dinner table. Are you snacking between meals? Is portion control your problem?

I would just log everything you eat for the next little while. If you want to set a goal weight loss of 1/2 to 1 pound per week, great, but use this time to get to know yourself.

Dieting is a lifestyle change, so this is not a sprint, it's an ultra-marathon. The holidays will come around next year, and you'll want to be prepared for them when they do. Losing 28 lbs is the first step; keeping it off will be the hard part.

If you can understand some of the reasons that you got to where you are, that's the beginning to making a change!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Saying NO is not always a bad thing. It can be liberating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

With only 18-28 pounds to go your weekly weight loss goal shouldn't be higher than 1/2 pound per week anyway, despite what the system may tell you. So you could set your goal for that, or even just for maintenance so you have the accountability of logging. Enjoy the holidays!

I'm naturally more active in the warmer weather so joined a gym last month so I would keep my activity level up.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that this is a life change. You won't ever go back to eating mindlessly. So you will always have challenges like holidays and other celebrations and eating out. Also keep in mind that in doing this you are trying to learn a new skill. That means you won't be perfect at it right away. You are going to mess up, have bad days, binge, eat things you know you shouldn't and so on. You will also feel amazing the day you turn away from the cheesecake, only eat two slices of pizza, see the numbers on the scale slowly get smaller, feel better in your own skin, enjoy wearing a new outfit that you could not fit into before.

It is never a bad time to start. If you wait for the right time it will never happen. There is no right time. You just start when you reach the point that not starting is unacceptable.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5:2 - intermitant fasting where I eat normally 5 days and fast (eat less than 500 calories) for two days. This way I'm not feeling deprived of all the niceities that are about this time of year, and 'you can do anything for one day' or 'I can eat it tomorrow' is enough to get me through fast days.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there isn't a right or wrong time to start improving yourself :)
    Yes - the christmas season will probably be a little more challenging in terms of will-power but it's not impossible to maintain a healthy plan if it's sustainable and sensible. Start off by educating yourself about the process. Experiment with food and get to grips with 'tracking'. This is a lifestyle change (as cliche as that sounds) :)