increasing lung compacity

Options
I am starting to jog not only to lose wieght but to also increase my lung compacity. As a teenager I got double infection pneumonia and had to have 2 lobes removed. as I entered my thirties I have been experiencing increased shortness of breathe and fatigue. Is anyone else starting to jog with lung/or breathing issues?

Replies

• Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate. I had non hodgekins lymphoma in my lung and had part of one lobe removed. I did lose some of my lung function. I have started running the last month or so and have found it helps immensely with helping my lung get back its elasticity. I am able to more and more each day. The lungs are amazing and can regenerate and heal some. If I can do it....so can you.
  • purrpurplemeow83
    purrpurplemeow83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate. I had non hodgekins lymphoma in my lung and had part of one lobe removed. I did lose some of my lung function. I have started running the last month or so and have found it helps immensely with helping my lung get back its elasticity. I am able to more and more each day. The lungs are amazing and can regenerate and heal some. If I can do it....so can you.

Awe thank u! Today marks my second wk, I ran 3 blocks w/o stopping today yay!, I feel this difference in my breathing and energy level already. I just pray I can keep at it. let's run for our lung/lungs! :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    try yoga and meditation too. that can help improve lung function. Im asthmatic and those things helped me with lung function. running will also improve it too. it will get better with time.
  • purrpurplemeow83
    purrpurplemeow83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    try yoga and meditation too. that can help improve lung function. Im asthmatic and those things helped me with lung function. running will also improve it too. it will get better with time.

Thank u :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you are welcome. hope you can improve things! good luck
  • KayroseDoodle
    KayroseDoodle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! My family has a history of heart problems plus I've been worn out by mono and asthma at a young age. While I hate running, it's good to know that I am not alone in my goal of increasing my lung capacity. I have been starting with fast paced walking to keep my body from feeling too fatigued by running. Hopefully I'll still see similar results...
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been told that swimming is the best lung capacity exercise I can do as an asthmatic. Maybe its something to consider for days with bad weather? Or if your knees or other joints need a break.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    Most people breathe incorrectly when it comes to exercise. Try breathing with your diaphragm for a "deeper" intake of air. Many people only put enough air in their "upper" lungs and don't use full capacity by not using the diaphragm correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png