Athsma & Running?

Options
I have had athsma since I was born. It has been quite severe in the past, but in recent years it has gotten better. Partly due to the medication regimen that I am on. I would like to get to a point where I can run. I've never been able to do it before due to the breathing problems. I have always been moderately active to very active at intervals but have been trying to do more & loose a bit of weight the last 3 months. I am 5'1" & 129 lbs. I know running is great for what I'm trying to accomplish. Also I'm trying to push myself to acheive goals out of my comfort zone.
Any suggestions on ways to train my body effectively for running for periods more than 3 minutes without dying would be appreciated.

Replies

• cbtebb
    cbtebb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in the same boat asthma since I was born, but I will admit mine doesn't sound quite as severe. For running I used to really struggle (and still do on a bad day), what I found was running in the cold was better, I just find it easier to breath. Aswell as that I would push myself when I started to struggle breathing, it's almost conditioning your body and if you stop as soon as you start to struggle your body will get used to that so I would push through it until it really was unbearable (but don't give yourself an asthma attack). Also keep your inhaler on you, I just hold it when I run and then if I get into a pickle I can take it. Hope this helps :)
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think I am about to get diagnosed with asthma and I'm so scared. I've ended up in the ER twice this month within days of weening off prednisone. This really feels like a death sentence, so thank you for posting this. It's good to know you can be active with asthma.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?

Is it exercise induced?

Honestly I'd go treadmill to begin with, staying away from cold air...take inhaler before exercise, set treadmill on 1% gradient minimum and see how I go...working to increase endurance and speed ...keeping inhalers close

I'm not fond of running, I do HIIT (so 400m x 11km/hr and 100m at 3.5 then repeat or 1m at 7.5% gradient at 9km/hr and 1 min walk) but it's a matter of building it up

But more importantly doctors clearance first
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Asthma for me as well. I use an Albuterol inhaler a few minutes before doing any cardio. Then one more quick puff just before starting. When I started running I kept it slow. I mean just above a walking pace. Run 3 minutes then walked for one minute or until my breathing returned to normal, repeat. It can take seveal weeks to build up to running continuously. Take your time. Your body will tell you what to do and will adjust with time. Just remember you can increse speed or time but not both at the same time. Good luck.
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question because it's honestly a great one!

And thanks to everyone for their answers! I also have asthma (exercised induced) and have struggles with cardio and breathing.

The only advice I can honestly give is to control your breathing at all times. Deep breaths in and slow breaths out, I've watched it work in lowering my Heart Rate.

Good luck!
  • musicsax
    musicsax Posts: 4,293 Member
    Options
    I too used to suffer with asthma and was on preventative and relief inhalers, but 5 years ago I completely changed my life, I started to lose some weight , just a stone and a half to start with (2 years later another 2 and a half stone), but what really made a difference was that I started to play a saxophone purely for my own enjoyment. I can't deny it was a struggle at times breath wise, but after 2 years of playing every night for at least 30 mins, I no longer needed any medication and haven't needed any since. I am amazed at the difference and would recommend it to anyone.
    Also swimming is a good exercise for asthma suffers as the stokes help to increase the chest capacity.
  • ChelsiH1993
    ChelsiH1993 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate all the help. I will try a mix of all these suggestions and see what works best.
    Thanks again!
  • rbiss
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For me I got a normal cold and about a week after the cold cleared I was wheezing and a struggling to breathe. Albuterol and steroids didn't do much and ended up in the er on day 15. The doctor said it sounded like asthma but I had no history of asthma or allergies. 2 days before I finished a 10 day course of prednisone I started wheezing and within 5 days was back in the er. Currently I'm sitting on my couch using a nebulizer with albuterol ever 4 hours and on 50 mg of prednisone and I'm still short of breath but no wheezing. It's extremely uncomfortable and I can't even imagine this getting better. I hope there is light at the end of this tunnel. I will get serious about loosing some weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @rbiss my hubby developed asthma in middle age, out of the blue. It happens. Getting on top of an allergic reaction means taking enough meds to calm your system down. It's the opposite of pain meds where you take the minimum.

From trial and error I figure hubby's reaction was set off by an allergy to ibuprofen. He also doesn't do well with tree pollen or dust.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Taking ventolin before exercising helped me. Also, I found in the wintertime that the smoke from homes burning wood for heat extremely bothered me. Perhaps keep a record of when things flare up and anything coincidental occurring at the time, so you can help rule out any problems. One thing that might also help as you are just starting out, is to run so many light poles and then walk one and run so many again. Over time, increase the distance that you run. It will help you build up endurance. Best wishes to you.
  • rbiss
    Options
    Thanks jgnatca. I am just starting out and hopefully a good pulmonologist can get me sorted. I miss working out and can accept it might not be the same but I cant keep sitting on my couch dying. Good luck ChelsiH1993!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rbiss wrote: »
    For me I got a normal cold and about a week after the cold cleared I was wheezing and a struggling to breathe. Albuterol and steroids didn't do much and ended up in the er on day 15. The doctor said it sounded like asthma but I had no history of asthma or allergies. 2 days before I finished a 10 day course of prednisone I started wheezing and within 5 days was back in the er. Currently I'm sitting on my couch using a nebulizer with albuterol ever 4 hours and on 50 mg of prednisone and I'm still short of breath but no wheezing. It's extremely uncomfortable and I can't even imagine this getting better. I hope there is light at the end of this tunnel. I will get serious about loosing some weight.
    if the breathing treatments,albuterol and the steroids are not helping much and you are still short of breath. please have them do a ultrasound of your heart as well as a lung function test. I have asthma AND a heart valve defect which for the longest time I thought was my asthma(acting up) and nothing I did helped. once I was diagnosed they put me on some meds and it improved my breathing a lot compared to what it was. I also did workouts to increase my stamina and did yoga which helps with proper breathing techniques and that can help strengthen up your lungs as well. you dont have to have a history of allergies or asthma to just one day end up with it. Im also on an asthma preventative(advair) which helps with everyone. I no longer take meds for the valve defect and its improved some.hope you get this straightened up. I used to be in the er several times a night as a kid and at least twice a week as an adult