Tabata workout

Options
I just finished a 60 minute Tabata workout at a YMCA fitness class. I'm curious about how to log this?? Any help is appreciated!!

Replies

• melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I generally use the circuit training option. Just be careful...MFP usually over-estimates calorie burn.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That's really long for a tabata workout. I would be on the sidelines hurling.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I just finished a 60 minute Tabata workout at a YMCA fitness class. I'm curious about how to log this?? Any help is appreciated!!
    Not a Tabata workout though. True Tabata protocol is 4 minutes long with 100% output during that time. No one will put out 100% in 60 minutes.
    Not saying your workout wasn't tough, but it's an interval training workout and not Tabata. Lots of gyms are misusing the terminology.

Circuit training workout would probably be closest if you want to log it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. The class is actually called Fierce & I misspoke. Before beginning different segments of the workout ... She mentioned "the next Tabata workout is....." It's not specifically called Tabata workout... Only segments used. Please forgive, I was delirious.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. The class is actually called Fierce & I misspoke. Before beginning different segments of the workout ... She mentioned "the next Tabata workout is....." It's not specifically called Tabata workout... Only segments used. Please forgive, I was delirious.

This is actually a side effect of a tabata workout.

:wink:
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I actually LOVE IT!!! never thought I'd Ever Ever Ever say that .... Sorta proud
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    No problem. It's not on you, but on the instructor for not using correct terminology. That's why when some talk about Tabata like it wasn't as hard as they thought because they took a class where the instructor says it was Tabata, it does a disservice to the actual protocol.
    If you really want to do Tabata, just try doing half of it (2 minutes) and see how hard it can really be. Sprinting would be a great test. So remember, sprint as fast as you can with full effort for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds, then repeat. Many people gas out on the 3rd sprint.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No problem. It's not on you, but on the instructor for not using correct terminology. That's why when some talk about Tabata like it wasn't as hard as they thought because they took a class where the instructor says it was Tabata, it does a disservice to the actual protocol.
    If you really want to do Tabata, just try doing half of it (2 minutes) and see how hard it can really be. Sprinting would be a great test. So remember, sprint as fast as you can with full effort for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds, then repeat. Many people gas out on the 3rd sprint.

Yeah, unfortunately even a lot of fitness programs play loose with terminology. I see a lot of circuit training programs billed as interval training, and a lot of HIIT billed as Tabata, when they aren't actually.

To the OP: Tabata is specific type of high-intensity interval training where you do 20 seconds of maximum effort separated with 10 seconds of lower-effort recovery, and repeat 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. Classically it was done on an exercise cycle but any cardiovascular exercise could be used and still called Tabata. Even for HIIT it's pretty brutal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately even a lot of fitness programs play loose with terminology. I see a lot of circuit training programs billed as interval training, and a lot of HIIT billed as Tabata, when they aren't actually.

To the OP: Tabata is specific type of high-intensity interval training where you do 20 seconds of maximum effort separated with 10 seconds of lower-effort recovery, and repeat 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. Classically it was done on an exercise cycle but any cardiovascular exercise could be used and still called Tabata. Even for HIIT it's pretty brutal.

For that matter, a lot of what people are calling HIIT isn't actually HIIT at all. HIIT has become quite the trendy thing, but what most people are doing aren't truly HIIT workouts. Basically, if you're not soaked in sweat, shaking all over and ready to puke at the end of your workout, what you just did isn't HIIT/Tabata. If you can do it for longer than 15-20 minutes max, it isn't HIIT. It may be aerobic intervals or circuit training, but it isn't HIIT.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    As designed, Tabata (1E1 protocol), the intensity is at 170% of VO2Max for 20 seconds (energy derived using the phosphagen system) with 10 seconds of rest for 4 minutes. It's a VERY VERY difficult workout.

It's one of four HIIT regimens. The major differences are primarily in the work/rest ratio, total duration of core workout, and intensity. Or basically how the fatigue is accumulated.

The intensity in questioned is normal phased as "go as hard as you can" but it means very different for the untrained or moderately fit. Without knowing your VO2Max, most of us will never actually do a HIIT session as intended or likely reap the desired benefit. Most of us just don't have the aerobic fitness to train at that intensity for the duration. It's a honing (finishing) tool for competition where seconds (or micro) determines the winner (also needed is the aerobic base to get into the mix in the first place). The benefits are also short lived due to the accumulated fatigue and subsequent loss of fitness. It's brutal and in most cases unnecessary (unless you're in the state and national ranks with higher aspirations).