Dropping dress/jeans sizes?

Options
I'm just wondering what a reasonable expectation is, as far as losing inches and dropping down in dress sizes? I know that there are a million variables (muscle tone, for one) but in general, how many pounds lost means going down a size?

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where your body tends to lose weight from. I haven't lost more than 1 jean size with 16 lbs, but there are people that lose much more. My personal trainer also said that it is realistic for me to weigh 162 lbs and be a size 6 if I do muscle building whereas when I weighed that a few years ago, I was a size 10.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    I am curious about this as well. All I know is, I've been wearing a size 32 pair of jeans for the last month that literally falls off my behind. (I'm not a fan of belts.) I convinced hubby to go browsing at the mall today. I not only found a pair of XXL drawstring pants, but got 2 new bras (thankfully not much as changed in that department) and tried on 3 different pairs of jeans.. The smallest was a 26 and it FIT PERFECTLY. I've only lost 35lbs, so if I can go from a 32 to a 26 in 4 months, I'm not wondering if maybe I'll be in a size 18 come our anniversary trip to New York in 4 months!

Sorry, didn't meant to hijack.. still running off the high of a wonderful NSV :)
  • beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For me it is 20 lbs. But I know some people that drop a size when they lose 10 lbs.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Took me about 20 -25 pounds, of course I'm tall and had a lot to lose. Now it's about 10-15 pounds or so.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how big you are. I've noticed that when I'm heavier, it takes about 15 lbs. or so before I drop a size. When I'm at a more reasonable weight, it's about every 10 lbs. :)
  • Losinitforgood
    Losinitforgood Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost about 33 from what is my normal, 230 lb 5'6", frame... and I have gone down only 2 pant sizes (22-18). for me I think the reason is because most of the weight I lost was from my upper body, and only some lost from my lower body. otherwise, like others have said it depends on your body type.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I was 167 lbs I wore size 15 jeans.
    Now at 130 lbs I wear size 7 jeans.

So I guess that is roughly a pant size for every 5 lbs.
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me it is 20 lbs. But I know some people that drop a size when they lose 10 lbs.

This was me. Every 10 pounds I had to buy new clothes. It was expensive. :(
  • kiwipez
    kiwipez Posts: 144
    Options
    30 lbs for me was 2 sizes.
  • pebbles72
    pebbles72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs and 1 dress size.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I weighed 155 and a size 10. I know weigh 133 and am in a size 4. But I really thing it depends on where you\r weight is as well.
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    It took me 60 pounds to drop a size, YMMV, obviously.
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dropping the sizes is great - I just wish all the manufacturers would use the same tape measures - that is so annoying one company's size 12 is another company's size 16.....ggggrrrrrrrr......:explode:
  • bsolada
    bsolada Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am weird but I have only lost 13 pounds but I have lost at least 2 sizes, close to 3. I am not short, 5'5 1/4" tall, not sure why I have lost so many sizes, but I am not complaining. :happy:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 35 pounds and I'm still the same size...a little disappointed especially because I know i've lost weight in my stomach but it makes me feel better seeing the poster above, that it takes different amounts lost to affect jean sizes!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    15-20 for me, 20 for it to actually look good, LOL.
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For me, it's apx every 10 lbs.

Interesting tid bit, though... I weigh 132 and wear a size 8. My trainer weighs 138 and wears a size 4. So, you're right about muscle tone, etc.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I was 167 lbs I wore size 15 jeans.
    Now at 130 lbs I wear size 7 jeans.

So I guess that is roughly a pant size for every 5 lbs.

15 --> 13 --> 11 --> 9 --> 7 = 4 sizes
    So that's a little over 9 lbs per size

as for me:
    I started at 175 and size 14 and
    at 150 my size 10s are a little roomy, but the 8s are a little too snug to be seen in public.
    So I'm about 12 lbs per size
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It took 20 lbs for me to go from 18/20 to 16. I hope it gets easier the smaller I get but I hate that clothing isn't all sized the same. How annoying! To be one size in one store and larger in the next store.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Dropping the sizes is great - I just wish all the manufacturers would use the same tape measures - that is so annoying one company's size 12 is another company's size 16.....ggggrrrrrrrr......:explode:

Amen,

I've size 13/14s in the closet that I bought 30 years ago when I weighed 125 lbs.
    I was wearing 13/14s at my start weight of 175 lbs.

Now I'm feeling sassy because I'm a size 10. While I'm 25 pounds over my lowest weight this is my smallest "size"