Disgusted with myself

Options
I promised myself I'd do a month of trying to stay within calories and no "cheats." After a week and a half, I had a higher calorie meal and a couple desserts on Thanksgiving and then fell out of routine for two more days. I could have stuck to routine if id had willpower, but I was weak and lazy. I've also put on water weight that id lost in the previous week.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    I promised myself I'd do a month of trying to stay within calories and no "cheats." After a week and a half, I had a higher calorie meal and a couple desserts on Thanksgiving and then fell out of routine for two more days. I could have stuck to routine if id had willpower, but I was weak and lazy. I've also put on water weight that id lost in the previous week.

Log it and carry on.

Congrats on losing 20 of your goal of 40 lbs! That's great!

"Don't let a stumble in the road be the end of it."

Also, if you're looking for tips, can I ask what your weekly goal is set to? Is it too aggressive, perhaps?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Start tomorrow. It will be okay!! That happens to a lot of people. Just don't let a couple of bad days turn into a couple of bad weeks. Get back to it
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Who cares about water weight? It comes and goes. What matters is fat loss. Don't deny yourself the occasional treat and it might lessen your cravings. My motto when I was losing here was 'If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!' Maybe that saying will help you, too. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think if you try to look at it too black and white, it's really easy to not make that mark every single day and then get down on yourself for not being perfect. Perfection (no cheats, never over) is a lot to ask from anyone. Would you tell a friend who didn't stick to their plan 100% that you are disgusted with them? If not, why is it okay to say this to yourself?

Honestly, the easiest place to start it to say that you will log consistently for this week. The good, the bad, the ugly. Just log it. Then do it again next week. Evaluate your goal and progress, but don't be so hard on yourself. The days you have logged are less than 700. Are you logging everything, or is this your plan? Consistently eating that low can certainly lead to binge/restrict cycles, along with a whole host of medical issues. You really should reevaluate this plan, and get some help setting up a plan which is sustainable for the long-term.

Your comment about regaining water weight... water weight is an illusion, it causes spikes and drops. Losing/gaining water weight is not the same as fat.

See your doctor, show him your diary, and ask for a referral to a dietician.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What's your weekly weight loss goal? Maybe it's too aggressive. If it's -2lbs/week, go to -1 or -0.5lbs a week, much more doable.

And/or (hopefully and), you could increase your protein, fat, and fibre targets to see if that helps you feel more full.

Those two things can help a lot. You don't have to be hungry to lose weight. (And having a hard time with an aggressive deficit doesn't mean you lack will power. It means you're hungry. So try either eating more, or changing the food a bit.)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Just log it, don't stop logging and carry on!
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's Thanksgivng -- you're SUPPOSED to gorge!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/thanksgiving
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thanks, every1. Thinking over the advice.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Seriously consider your plan and how much you are consuming. If you are actually aiming to eat less than 700, there are serious health risks.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Seriously consider your plan and how much you are consuming. If you are actually aiming to eat less than 700, there are serious health risks.

I really really hope all those days I saw were just not complete. 4 Pillsbury crescents and 12 oz of iced tea and 8 oz of grape juice don't make a single meal let alone a whole day. No protein, no fiber ... you're going to cause yourself very serious health problems. If your logged days are in fact accurate I suggest you seek professional help because that combined with feeling "disgusted" with yourself are massive red flags.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 1000, I just don't log everything as some of the food I ear isn't cooked by me. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hon, this kind of thinking is exactly why it's taken me so many tries to get it right. I set these hard and fast rules, and then "failed", got all down on myself, kicked myself about and gave up because it was too hard. You don't need to be perfect. To succeed, you just need to make more good decisions than bad. A day over won't derail you, and in fact can keep you sane but really negative self talk and hard and fast rules CAN derail you and can do very little for that whole sane thing ;)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's a day or two and not the end of the world. Log them, get back up, and continue on. Nobody gaining weight gained it in a day, and we aren't going to lose it in a day either.

b0jsobap03xd.jpg

The above is from my diary. I continued on a downward weight trend. And yes that's a single day!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I eat more than 1000, I just don't log everything as some of the food I ear isn't cooked by me. :)

If this is the case, then it's going to be very difficult for you to determine how much you are actually eating to evaluate the effectiveness and suitability of you plan. How much are you losing each week (not considering your current water weight gain)?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I really really hope all those days I saw were just not complete. 4 Pillsbury crescents and 12 oz of iced tea and 8 oz of grape juice don't make a single meal let alone a whole day. No protein, no fiber ... you're going to cause yourself very serious health problems. If your logged days are in fact accurate I suggest you seek professional help because that combined with feeling "disgusted" with yourself are massive red flags.

Those were my thoughts too.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Looking at your posting history, specifically over your mild freak out over a Pillsbury cinnamon roll ... I'm going to stick with the seeking professional help answer.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would've been a bit easier if you hadn't picked November? Give yourself as much chance at succeeding as possible, but learn to accept that, at times, you will fail. You'll need to do both if you want to succeed in the long run.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The most helpful thing I figured out when starting this time (back in Jan '14) was that it's not helpful to try to be perfect and it's not helpful to beat yourself up if you aren't. Small changes can be the most important ones, and accepting that I'm human and that a screw up is a learning experience, not a failure (let alone a failure that ruins everything), makes it so much easier to just keep going. I'd bet that the all or nothing approach is making this a lot harder for you. Being less strict but consistent gets you to goal faster than trying to be impossibly perfect and then (in your mind) failing and going way off plan for days, and it also avoids feeling horrible about the "failures" (in your own mind).

Also, as others have said, if you are agonizing over the occasional higher cal day or treat, maybe it is time to talk to a professional about your relationship with food. Getting into a cycle of being super strict and then the opposite is likely to mess you up if you continue with it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Quit spanking yourself. Log it and move on. :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Quit spanking yourself. Log it and move on. :)

This. A fleeting dalliance with a piece of food isn't worth the angst. Reserve that for something important, like finances or significant others.