Losing weight while on prednisone?

Options
I am 19 and on prednisone, I've been on it since July and ive gained 45 lbs...I went from 96lbs to 140...I am DESPERATE to lose weight as I am now almost considered overweight and it is not good for me.

Does anybody have any tip for losing weight while on this steriod?? I know it is very difficult but it needs to be done...I am currently tapering off of it SLOWLY..5mg per week. I should be off of it January 7, if my body allows me to..please help me :/

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Calorie control

Steroids can lead to water weight and increased appetite

If you're overeating you will put on weight so calorie control but the water weight will go when you're off it

Good luck
  • Mondoweft
    Mondoweft Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am on 7.5mg per day, and currently losing. For me I pre-pack my days meals and snacks in a cold pack and only eat from that. It is the only way I can stay in my calorie allotment. If I earn more calories then I decide directly after a meal what I will have and pack it.

Part of this for me was to learn to ignore my hunger signs and eat on a schedule. Hopefully one day I will get off this medication and then I will have to learn to listen to my body again.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Start taking Fish Oil (1 cap each meal) and the natural form of Vitamin E (d-alph, NOT dl-alpha), 400 iu/each day. Also Turmeric capsule twice daily. These natural anti-inflammatory supplements should allow you to get
    off the Prednisone more quickly.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was on it a long time ago 40mg a day I gained 40 pounds I stopped gaining weight as they started to taper me off but I didn't start losing until after I stopped taking it but I think with calorie control you could probably lose on a low dosage. Good Luck.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Things will be easier once you've tapered off. I had to take it for a while too. My doctor explained to me that prednisone itself doesn't make you gain that much weight, it just makes you hungry like bear. I was forewarned, so I kept a sharp eye on my eating and didn't gain, and then after I was off it my hunger levels went back to normal.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It seems that people have opposite reactions to prednisone. I've never been able to eat on it and I want to pace and run laps like crazy!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It makes me hyper and hungry! I was up in the middle of the night making grilled cheese and tuna! :dizzy:
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off it for years... When I'm on any dose above 25/30 I find it so hard to control my appetite, I'm literally like a cookie monster, so I work out to gain lots of calories! However, now I'm on "only" 10mg, and as mentioned above, I know at beginning of day how my calories will be allocated and I stick to it vigorously. I prefer to eat lots at supper, and not much snacking (Once I start, i find it hard to stop...) You need to find a program that works for you. My suggestion would be to log everything and keep note of which meals keep you fuller for longer and then repeat those often.....
  • janelleeraee
    janelleeraee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your tips!! I just need to be more disciplined! :/