How To Count How Many Calories You Burn After Exercise

Options
I need some advise on how to properly calculate how many calories I am burning after a given workout. I realize how critical this is when you are counting the calories that I am eating. So when I do my strength training workout, how do I know how much I am burning? I typically will do a DVD workout with whole body strength training... aka The Firm, etc.

So, if anyone could help me, that would be great.

Thanks.

Replies

• truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a Heart Rate Monitor? I heard that they are supposed to be accurate.
  • missana221
    missana221 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about that to!
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    yes truchamp is right a HRM is the way to go
  • robjuliew
    robjuliew Posts: 13
    Options
    I do the firm also, you can't calculate how many calories your burning without wearing a heart rate monitor. Each firm workout I do burns a different amount of calories each time. I have a polar F4 and it was about $80, I love it!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    An HRM is the best way to go. Just get one with the chest strap and make sure it is one that counts calories. Both Polar and Timex are really good.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor?
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    you definetely need a Heart Rate Monitor, especially when u workout at home. MFP calculation are always waaay off. HRM is your best investment.
  • tffnyhlms
    tffnyhlms Posts: 3
    Options
    invest in a heart rate monitor. My trainer convinced me to buy one several weeks ago and I absolutely love it! It is quite fun to count the calories you are burning during a workout - I actually burn way more calories than I ever imagined during any activity I do (as compared with the standard calorie counters online that you input your information to. I found a Timex on Amazon for $35 with free shipping that counts calories, length of workout, peak hear rate, average heart rate, & recovery time. It also tells time so you can wear it as a watch. I love it! It's definitely worth the investment & it is accurate.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    If you don't have a heart rate monitor this is a method you could use.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/73315-calculate-calories-burned-based-heart/
  • chuckycheez
    Options
    I'm not sure of a accurate way to measure strength training calories. I do mostly cardio (speed walking) and use a Garmin gps based training device.It's very accurate and tracks heart rate, pace, milage, calories burned, and elapsed time. It also maps the route you take, which can be downloaded and seen at Garmins web site for free. It's great! I wouldn't do cardio without one. Hope this helps a little.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A Heart Rate Monitor is good when you are running or other cardio exercises, but for weight lifting it's not terribly accurate.

Lifting weights are more power based, and are hard to judge the caloric intake used. It’s like a car all have different gas mileage ratings. Each car is different, even if they’re the same make and model they can get different gas mileage. The health of the person, the age, the physical well being. They all are factors.

Humans are the same, we all get different cardio mileage. Body make up and muscular structure make a huge difference. The young lady that asked the question and could workout with the same weight, but get different results. The weight could be very light for her and heavy for me. The results of the workout will be different.

I’ve been lifting weights for years. Rarely does a heart rate get above 120 beats per minute for a prolonged time period. The exercise itself could also be a huge factor as well. If we are doing chest flies our heart rates could go up signifantly for a few minutes and then go back down. If we were to do heavy squats our heart rate might not go up to signifantly, but our caloric intake would go up based on the fact that it takes a lot more energy to do heavy squats than it does to do chest flies.

There is a huge variable and difference in the exercises.

I asked the good folks at MFP why they didn’t have weight lifting categorized like the cardio stuff and the above is part of their answer.

They have a general category under the cardiovascular heading listed as Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) it is generalized and they don’t break it down, because for the variable of the exercise.

Heart monitors are good for cardio workouts, but not so much for weight lifting.
  • StShellie
    StShellie Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! I guess I'm gonna have to invest in a heart monitor. I'm so new to this counting calories, so keeping up with how many I actually burn is daunting at times. I'm definitely not new to working out! I'm completely sold on weight lifting and jogging, because it works!! I'm just needing to get back in the habit after having a baby, so I figured counting my calorie intake would help me be accountable.

Now, to search for a good HR monitor!