Any nice person that can help me ?

Options
In 2012 I lost 70lbs never got to goal sadly I've regained 30lbs though lost 8 in 4 weeks on weightwatchers but they are changing plan and app is messed up so I'm coming back to mfp
I lost my baby in June at 5 months pregnant to sepsis and in total I had 5 months bedrest due to bleeding bad then developed hemoraghing I needed 11 blood transfusions in 3 months A&E 4 times once recuss and seriously thought I'd die was in intensive care too.
So as you can imagine my fitness level was 0 and for 4 weeks I've been aiming fir 10,000 steps a day dog walking as I'm way off exercise as in cardio or weights had bad anemia .
I'm now 215lbs 5ft 2 aged 46
I'd like to be 136lbs I so want to get to goal

I know I should work out my bmr and calorie intake to lose but can't temper how ?
I'd appreciate any help
Thankyou

Replies

• melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    sandown12 wrote: »
    In 2012 I lost 70lbs never got to goal sadly I've regained 30lbs though lost 8 in 4 weeks on weightwatchers but they are changing plan and app is messed up so I'm coming back to mfp
    I lost my baby in June at 5 months pregnant to sepsis and in total I had 5 months bedrest due to bleeding bad then developed hemoraghing I needed 11 blood transfusions in 3 months A&E 4 times once recuss and seriously thought I'd die was in intensive care too.
    So as you can imagine my fitness level was 0 and for 4 weeks I've been aiming fir 10,000 steps a day dog walking as I'm way off exercise as in cardio or weights had bad anemia .
    I'm now 215lbs 5ft 2 aged 46
    I'd like to be 136lbs I so want to get to goal

I know I should work out my bmr and calorie intake to lose but can't temper how ?
    I'd appreciate any help
    Thankyou

You do not need to do it manually.
    Just give your stats to MFP, set a reasonable weight loss goal, and it will do the calculatiosn for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So sorry about the baby and the medical issues.

I agree with aggelikik that it's easier to start by going through MFP. You just tell it your current stats and goal (say, 1.5 lb/week) and your activity level (if you get close to or hit 10,000 steps usually, that's lightly active). Then, if you do work up to doing other exercise you'd log that and get more calories that day, to keep the overall deficit consistent and avoid burning out. (If you have a Fitbit or some other activity tracker you can sync it with MFP.)

If for some reason you don't want to use MFP but a custom goal, it's not BMR that you want, but TDEE - 20%. BMR alone isn't really useful. A good calculator for TDEE (that will also figure out the -20% bit) is http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you had to go through that. Don't worry, fitness will come back quickly, just listen to your body. Diet is key to weight loss, and with anemia, your macros and micros will be important.

MFP uses your height, weight, and current activity level and tells you how many calories to eat to loose the amount of weight you asked to loose per week. At your height and activity level, I would start slow. You don't want to feel like your are starving and then binge, so perhaps set your goal for a loss of 0.5 or 1 lb per week and see how you feel. This will be a process, and I think the slower the better. Also, if you exercise, you tell MFP what you did and it will give you back calories so you stay at the correct goal for the week. Because the estimates on this app tend to be over, only eat back 50% of those calories or wear a heart rate monitor during exercise and then you can eat back all of them.

The TDEE method isn't hard, but I suggest giving the app a try first.

Good luck!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thankyou got your help
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have had so many personal problems. For the easiest approach to a calorie level for the day, rely on MFP's calculation. It adds a level of frustration if you insist of doing extra work, unless you're an athlete or training for something where it's critical.

If you're walking regularly, put your activity level above sedentary.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Seriously consider a Ketogenic Diet. It's probably your best bet. The book "The Rosedale Diet" would be a good read.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to work out anything. You can just plug your info in and let the MFP do it's job. :) No reason to make it harder.

You sound like you've been through the ringer. I hope things start looking up for you soon!!
  • sandown12
    Options
    Thankyou both I started mfp today after 1/2lb gain on ww last week @ 100%
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Well, your weight will go up and down, especially premenstrually. That said, I've done WW and prefer MFP. I just plugged my stats into the system and let it tell me how many calories I should eat per day.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You've batted thru a lot of medical adversity and harbored a very sad loss.
    Start slow & be kind to yourself. This will seem slow some days but is infinitely easier. You've got this! xo
    (PS... any chance you're in perimenopause? Sorry if that seems nebby! I only ask because I had my last daughter near 40 & entered perimenopause then active menopause almost immediately. And during this phase it's not impossible to lose weight but it can be slower with narrower math ratios. I wish someone had told me!!!)
  • sandown12
    Options
    I
    scolaris wrote: »
    You've batted thru a lot of medical adversity and harbored a very sad loss.
    Start slow & be kind to yourself. This will seem slow some days but is infinitely easier. You've got this! xo
    (PS... any chance you're in perimenopause? Sorry if that seems nebby! I only ask because I had my last daughter near 40 & entered perimenopause then active menopause almost immediately. And during this phase it's not impossible to lose weight but it can be slower with narrower math ratios. I wish someone had told me!!!)

had blood tests last year said I wasn't near perimenopause but I'm wondering if it's the new Mirena coil last time I had a new one put in I was losing weight every week for 17 weeks new m coil my weightloss stalked was slower and gains I did nothing different , I had to have anew one as hemorraghing it's just disheartening as I can't do exercise except walking for a few months

Thankyou
  • sandown12
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well, your weight will go up and down, especially premenstrually. That said, I've done WW and prefer MFP. I just plugged my stats into the system and let it tell me how many calories I should eat per day.

Thankyou it's not totm that's 3 weeks away think it's my new mirena coil
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've been through a lot. I'm so glad you pulled through!
    As far as calories, if you want to work out your BMR, a simple Google search should lead you to sites that will calculate that for you. It's probably best if you look at several calculators and average the results.
    Having said that, though, it's not strictly necessary. You can just plug your info into MFP and eat the number of calories it gives you.
  • sandown12
    Options
    Wow, you've been through a lot. I'm so glad you pulled through!
    As far as calories, if you want to work out your BMR, a simple Google search should lead you to sites that will calculate that for you. It's probably best if you look at several calculators and average the results.
    Having said that, though, it's not strictly necessary. You can just plug your info into MFP and eat the number of calories it gives you.

Thankyou Jennifer
    It's been a bad year but I'm grateful to be here as it looked bad a couple times
    I had a look and as you said stuck my figures into mfp going by that :)