How come squats are SO HARD for me?

Options
I've been lifting heavy for around 5 months now with a trainer, but was only able to start really increasing the weights significantly within the last 2-3 months, due to SI joint problems because of weak core issues.
Anyway, now that I'm trying to get progressive overload on my compound lifts, I've noticed that back squatting feels awful for me. I've been fighting to get over 40kg for the last month, and it took me the whole time just to get to 42.5kg a few days ago :( In contrast, I'm BENCHING 40kg, and my deadlift has gone up 10+kg in this time (I'm up to 60kg), whilst my squat is almost motionless...unless I can get 45kg tomorrow :s
It's getting very frustrating, and it's got to the point that I now dread squatting with a passion...does anyone have any advice? Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it's due to my core muscles having been weak before I started lifting?
I'd appreciate any advice, thanks guys! :)

Replies

• saynotocardio
    saynotocardio Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you still working with the trainer? I know that for me my bench was my weakness. I think we all have a weakness that we just have to work through. I have been lifting heavy for 8 months and I just now am able to put up 210 (99kg) on bench, while my one rep back squat is 385. Mind you im 6'0 200lb male.

I say just keep working at it, and make sure to stay with the trainer so that your form is proper. You're fairly young and its new so just keep working and you'll slowly get there.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Back Squatting places most of the emphasis on the posterior chain, glutes and hamstrings, but it is crucial that you maintain proper form with an upright back, so just like most exercises it does require core and lower back strength and stability. The front squat places a lot more emphasis on the core, low back and quads. Where are you fatiguing when you do the squats? do you feel stress in your back or are your legs unable to handle the load? When you say it feels awful, how so? Are you using a free barbell or are you using a smith machine? Using a smith machine can help as it stabilizes you a bit more than the free weights and can allow a greater range of motion. Do you have similar issues with other lower body moves (lunges, sumo squats, hip thrusts, donkey kicks, leg press?)
  • Gabrielbk97
    Gabrielbk97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Doing a squat you have have good form and breathe properly while doing the lift. But it takes time to get to actually put up some weight. For me it helps doing sets of 5 and reps of 5 to increase strength. I am about 5'9 and 181lbs. Repping 225 on bench and repping 315 on squat and deadlift at about 420 as if right now. Just stay consistent and eat. Good luck on your goals!
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Are you still working with the trainer? I know that for me my bench was my weakness. I think we all have a weakness that we just have to work through. I have been lifting heavy for 8 months and I just now am able to put up 210 (99kg) on bench, while my one rep back squat is 385. Mind you im 6'0 200lb male.

I say just keep working at it, and make sure to stay with the trainer so that your form is proper. You're fairly young and its new so just keep working and you'll slowly get there.

I train with him frequently, yes - roughly 3 days a week (and then I train 3 other days myself). It's reassuring to know that it's not just me with a comparatively weaker lift! Thanks for the advice :smiley:
  • sophzhr
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Back Squatting places most of the emphasis on the posterior chain, glutes and hamstrings, but it is crucial that you maintain proper form with an upright back, so just like most exercises it does require core and lower back strength and stability. The front squat places a lot more emphasis on the core, low back and quads. Where are you fatiguing when you do the squats? do you feel stress in your back or are your legs unable to handle the load? When you say it feels awful, how so? Are you using a free barbell or are you using a smith machine? Using a smith machine can help as it stabilizes you a bit more than the free weights and can allow a greater range of motion. Do you have similar issues with other lower body moves (lunges, sumo squats, hip thrusts, donkey kicks, leg press?)

Thanks for the reply :) I'm completely sure that my back never rounds when I squat, but it doesn't stay completely vertical either...would you say this is an issue? It's more like at a 45 degree angle.
    In terms of fatigue, it's less of a stress/burn in a certain area, and more like my entire body is struggling. My body shakes under the bar, and every rep I feel like I'm going to fail it (even though I never have) :s I've worked my way up to these weights slowly, so I'd hoped that it would not be so much of a struggle to just add 2.5kg each time...guess not :neutral: I'm using a barbell btw, I'm not a fan of trying the smith machine really, at the advice of my trainer and my own preferences. I'm fine with other leg movements (except leg press, I didn't like the position at all.... I almost felt like it was compressing my lower back if that makes sense...)
  • sophzhr
    Options
    Doing a squat you have have good form and breathe properly while doing the lift. But it takes time to get to actually put up some weight. For me it helps doing sets of 5 and reps of 5 to increase strength. I am about 5'9 and 181lbs. Repping 225 on bench and repping 315 on squat and deadlift at about 420 as if right now. Just stay consistent and eat. Good luck on your goals!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion - I've been using the 5x5 sets/reps in the hope that I could keep adding weight consistently each workout, but sadly that has not gone to plan hah! I'm happy with my form, but not so much with breathing patterns. I've read so many different pieces on advice on the 'right' way to breathe, and I'm still not sure I'm happy with my current one (which is basically just gasping for breath sporadically so I don't pass out :D ). Can I ask what pattern you would suggest?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    sophzhr wrote: »
    fernt21 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply :) I'm completely sure that my back never rounds when I squat, but it doesn't stay completely vertical either...would you say this is an issue? It's more like at a 45 degree angle.
    In terms of fatigue, it's less of a stress/burn in a certain area, and more like my entire body is struggling. My body shakes under the bar, and every rep I feel like I'm going to fail it (even though I never have) :s I've worked my way up to these weights slowly, so I'd hoped that it would not be so much of a struggle to just add 2.5kg each time...guess not :neutral: I'm using a barbell btw, I'm not a fan of trying the smith machine really, at the advice of my trainer and my own preferences. I'm fine with other leg movements (except leg press, I didn't like the position at all.... I almost felt like it was compressing my lower back if that makes sense...)

First, a minor point to make is that the hamstrings don't have any significant change in length during the squat because they shorten at one joint and lengthen simultaneously at the other joint (they stretch at the hip and shorten at the knee). The opposite is true during lockout in that they stretch at the knee during knee extension and they shorten at the hip during hip extension. You can also look at EMG data analyzing hamstring activity during the squat and see that it's not huge.

http://www.strengtheory.com/hamstrings-the-most-overrated-muscle-group-for-the-squat/

But to your point:

Spine angle is going to be determined by individual segment lengths on your body as well as bar placement. The only general statements we can make would be that the barbell should exist roughly over the center of your foot during the squat, and in general, you will have more forward lean in a low bar squat vs high bar squat vs front squat (most upright squat). If you think about the requirement of the bar maintaining a position over the center of your foot you can see why this is the case.

I would have to see your squat to make any technical recommendations, if you'd like you can upload a video and PM it to me.

As for a general recommendation though, I'd consider squatting at very high frequency for motor learning. You may have to reduce the load or reduce the volume or both, but if you can squat 3+ days per week I would absolutely do it, even if some of that work is very light.

Remember that squatting is not strictly a function of raw strength, it is the demonstration of strength in the squat. In other words it is a skill that you are displaying strength with.

The skill component is quite high relative to something like a leg press, and acquiring proper technique (and getting very good at executing that proper technique) will make a HUGE difference in your ability to add weight to the barbell.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Aside: On one hand there are structural differences from person to person that may make one lift great for you and another lift awful.

Having said that, I vividly remember a great deal of frustration when I was learning how to squat. I was the guy doing partial reps with 275 and the bar pad in running shoes.

I also remember wondering if I'd ever get to a point that squatting a) didn't hurt my knees and b) felt natural.

It wasn't until I started squatting very frequently, with lighter loads, with additional PRACTICE SQUATTING that I learned how to squat properly.

It's now my best lift proportionately speaking, and it feels the most natural. I don't have to put any thought into it, I just put the bar on my back and squat.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    hey first of all don't panic. 2 or 3 months really isn't long at all in the scheme of things. Patience, and a progressive overload program like you are doing will see you succeed. It is a new skill you are trying to develop, so practice practice and more practice.

Re breathing, I hold my breath on the way down and in the hole, then sharply exhale on the way up. While I am at the top, waiting for the next rep, a slow and steady inhale and exhale, then rinse and repeat. Could you post a form video?

Get plenty of assistance exercises in to help with the core. Don't wear a belt. Front squats, split squats, goblet squats, and weighted planks to name a few.

How many times do you squat a week? Generally I'll do a low rep heavy day, then a high rep light day to practice form.

good luck!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you're supposed to inhale, hold your breath, squat and exhale on your way up
  • sophzhr
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Aside: On one hand there are structural differences from person to person that may make one lift great for you and another lift awful.

Having said that, I vividly remember a great deal of frustration when I was learning how to squat. I was the guy doing partial reps with 275 and the bar pad in running shoes.

I also remember wondering if I'd ever get to a point that squatting a) didn't hurt my knees and b) felt natural.

It wasn't until I started squatting very frequently, with lighter loads, with additional PRACTICE SQUATTING that I learned how to squat properly.

It's now my best lift proportionately speaking, and it feels the most natural. I don't have to put any thought into it, I just put the bar on my back and squat.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write out all that advice for me, I really appreciate it :) I'll definitely pay attention to trying to keep the bar over the centre of my foot...I'll be squatting tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to work out if something needs tweaking. Are you of the opinion that there's a difference between the high and low bar squat? Is one superior to the other in terms of keeping good form and hitting depth? I only manage to hit parallel when I squat at these heavier weights, but I'd prefer to be doing them *kitten*-to-grass :/
    I try and do back squats a minimum of twice a week, so I'll make an effort to try and get one other training day in...would you suggest that I just focus on back squats every time, or mix it up (front squats, goblet squats etc.)?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I had a ton of problems doing back squats last year. This is what has helped me:

- eating more. I've mostly eaten at maintenence this year, going up and down 5 lbs with a few short cuts in there. I've found that I just don't add much to my squat when eating in a deficit over 200ish calories.
    - front squats. I didn't back squat at all from December until October.
    - squatting 3-4 times per week, one heavy day, one light day, 1-2 medium days. Doing the movement over and over again makes it feel more natural. Three 15 rep sets of goblet squats on light days really helped with this.
    - following a non- 5x5 program. I did Strong Curves (mostly 8+ reps) and 5/3/1 (lower reps but only 3 sets required on heaviest days.)
    - glute work. Barbell hip thrusts, barbell glute bridges, RDLS with a focus on feeling it in the glutes.
    - breathing. Big breath at top, expanding your diaphragm, hold it and descend, exhale as you come back up. Pause at top and breathe in again, lather, rinse, repeat.
  • sophzhr
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    hey first of all don't panic. 2 or 3 months really isn't long at all in the scheme of things. Patience, and a progressive overload program like you are doing will see you succeed. It is a new skill you are trying to develop, so practice practice and more practice.

Re breathing, I hold my breath on the way down and in the hole, then sharply exhale on the way up. While I am at the top, waiting for the next rep, a slow and steady inhale and exhale, then rinse and repeat. Could you post a form video?

Get plenty of assistance exercises in to help with the core. Don't wear a belt. Front squats, split squats, goblet squats, and weighted planks to name a few.

How many times do you squat a week? Generally I'll do a low rep heavy day, then a high rep light day to practice form.

good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely trying hard to be patient, I just don't want to spin my wheels needlessly either :D It was interesting to read your breathing pattern...I've never exhaled on the up (I hold my breath until I'm red in the face lol), so I may give that a try. I squat an average of twice a week currently, usually one day is heavy without fail, and the other will depend on how I feel. I try and keep exercises like lunges, split squats, SL deadlifts etc. in my training week, and I train core twice.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write out all that advice for me, I really appreciate it :) I'll definitely pay attention to trying to keep the bar over the centre of my foot...I'll be squatting tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to work out if something needs tweaking. Are you of the opinion that there's a difference between the high and low bar squat? Is one superior to the other in terms of keeping good form and hitting depth? I only manage to hit parallel when I squat at these heavier weights, but I'd prefer to be doing them *kitten*-to-grass :/
    I try and do back squats a minimum of twice a week, so I'll make an effort to try and get one other training day in...would you suggest that I just focus on back squats every time, or mix it up (front squats, goblet squats etc.)?

Regarding bar placement I'd leave that up to comfort/personal preference at first. Do whatever feels better.

As for depth it's a somewhat tricky topic because people have varying degrees of mobility and training goals. I'd generally say that if you are CAPABLE of squatting to parallel or just below parallel then you should do it. But at some point it's likely that you'll get lumbar rounding at the lower depths of squatting, so trying to go exceptionally low could be a detriment at some point. I've had a few clients now where I've had them squat shallower, to just below parallel specifically to eliminate lumbar rounding.

As for what to focus on, if you are still new to squatting I would consider adding in light goblet squats for mobility and just keep the total volume and weight low but do them frequently. In addition, squat at least 3/week. If recovery becomes an issue then adjust load/volume and keep frequency high.
  • sophzhr
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I had a ton of problems doing back squats last year. This is what has helped me:

- eating more. I've mostly eaten at maintenence this year, going up and down 5 lbs with a few short cuts in there. I've found that I just don't add much to my squat when eating in a deficit over 200ish calories.
    - squatting 3-4 times per week, one heavy day, one light day, 1-2 medium days. Doing the movement over and over again makes it feel more natural. Three 15 rep sets of goblet squats on light days really helped with this.
    - following a non- 5x5 program. I did Strong Curves (mostly 8+ reps) and 5/3/1 (lower reps but only 3 sets required on heaviest days.)
    - glute work. Barbell hip thrusts, barbell glute bridges, RDLS with a focus on feeling it in the glutes.

Thanks for the suggestions! I eat around maintenance currently (I'm trying to lose fat, but I don't really care if it's at a snails pace) so hopefully it's not due to an lacking energy. Can I ask how often you added in glute work?
  • sophzhr
    Options

Regarding bar placement I'd leave that up to comfort/personal preference at first. Do whatever feels better.

As for depth it's a somewhat tricky topic because people have varying degrees of mobility and training goals. I'd generally say that if you are CAPABLE of squatting to parallel or just below parallel then you should do it. But at some point it's likely that you'll get lumbar rounding at the lower depths of squatting, so trying to go exceptionally low could be a detriment at some point. I've had a few clients now where I've had them squat shallower, to just below parallel specifically to eliminate lumbar rounding.

As for what to focus on, if you are still new to squatting I would consider adding in light goblet squats for mobility and just keep the total volume and weight low but do them frequently. In addition, squat at least 3/week. If recovery becomes an issue then adjust load/volume and keep frequency high.

Got it, thanks a lot Sidesteel :smiley: I don't have any mobility issues with lighter weights, but with the heavy days there's a bit of mental fear there that the lower I go the less likely I am to come back up :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions! I eat around maintenance currently (I'm trying to lose fat, but I don't really care if it's at a snails pace) so hopefully it's not due to an lacking energy. Can I ask how often you added in glute work?

I forgot to add in a point about breathing and just edited it in above.

Direct glute work (hip thrusts, glute bridges, band abductions) 3x/week, twice on my lower body days and once on an upper body day or on a separate day. Remember to feel (engage) them during most lower body exercises and some upper body exercises (e.g., ohp.)
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options

- breathing. Big breath at top, expanding your diaphragm, hold it and descend, exhale as you come back up. Pause at top and breathe in again, lather, rinse, repeat.

oh yeah +1 on the eats, forgot about that.

and ++1 on the front squat campaign. I'm doing something similar, no heavy back squats for a year, 5/3/1 to bring up front squats. So far 12kg in 5 months.
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options

It's normal that your back is not vertical. This would not be even possible. Physics. Back bents a bit when you push ars back.

We all have different physiques, different genetics. So my advice to you is take it slow. When you say your body shakes at 40kg. Be happy with that. It's maximum you can give. Don't be discouraged and don't rush.

I have similar problem with my bench.

And as it was already said make sure you eat well. I can feel enormous difference at my workout performance depending on what I eat.

• ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Don't be too discouraged about your squat plateauing for a little bit, it will happen with each of your lifts at different times. For me, my worst lift is bench. I only put about 15lbs (~7kg) on my bench in the past year, but my squat has gone up by about 60lbs (~27kg) and my deadlift has gone up by about 65lbs (~30kg). Furthermore, there are technical aspects of each lift that, if not performed correctly, can keep you from putting up weight that you otherwise have the strength to put up. Technical aspects will of course vary from lifter to lifter based on leverages, where you place the bar, etc. but they still need to be executed correctly. It is hard to give advice on whether you are performing the technical aspects correctly without a video, but I would suggest that you record your work sets so you can watch each one right afterward to see what you are doing and tweak accordingly for the next set. But as far as progress goes, I would like to echo what a lot of people here have already said - put in lots of work volume and your max will go up. Do a lot of volume at sub-maximal weights and you will be able to cash in on all that volume later by maxing out with numbers you have not yet hit. A mistake that a lot of newer lifters make is trying to PR every few days, every other week, etc. When you only work up to heavy singles so often, you run the risk of putting solid work too far on the back burner and thus not giving your body the work volume it needs to build strength, in turn plateauing your lift because your body can only get so far with that kind of training. I hope that some of this was helpful to you. :)