Mirena

Options
Do any women on here have the Mirena IUD, and do you notice that you've gained weight or its harder to lose because of it?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena through both my bodybuilding competitions. I got it right before I started losing weight and didn't find it harder to lose due to it. I'm currently not on birth control and am losing weight for my next bodybuilding competition. It hasn't been harder or easier compared to when I was on Mirena.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for five years and just got it removed two weeks ago. It didn't impact my weight one way or another.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd (or 4th, I can't remember) Mirena. It has never had an impact on my weight either.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have it and have had no problems. I've lost 25lbs just counting my calories.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena. I haven't had any issues with my weight loss. One of the key features of Mirena is that the hormones in your blood are supposed to be much lower than the pill or Depo or other options.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena. I didn't notice any extra gain due to either, and have been losing just fine. (I gained about 20 pounds over 9 months after getting my first one out! LOL)

I love it!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena since 2012 and it's had zero impact on my weight. I've been dieting since July and the weight is coming off just fine.

10382200.png
  • tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've read online that it can have an affect on weight.

I've not had it though, I've had the nexplanon implant, I think it's similar hormones? I found it incredibly difficult to lose weight with it
  • CHERHUN
    CHERHUN Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had one for many years never noticed if it effected my weight but I did start to flow heavy and had big clots so had it rmoved
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for the past four years and have lost over 40lbs. When I first tried to lose weight and wasn't having any luck I blamed the Mirena but the truth was I wasn't measuring my food with a scale or logging everything I put in my mouth. I thought I was eating less than what I really was. Once I started to track everything I started to lose. :smiley:
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have one and I'm the same as @CheekyRunner I used it as an excuse for not losing weight as I'd read it that it makes it hard.....really I was just cheating myself once I started being honest with myself and got food under control I'm back to normal again actually I'm better than normal, fat loss and muscle growth is better than ever!!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena for 5 years after my first baby. Didn't start gaining until after I had it taken out... Mostly because I accidentally got pregnant RIGHT after I had it taken out (Doctor told me I couldn't get pregnant for 6 months after I had it taken out)

I currently have the mirena right now as it worked for 5 years before so I decided to use it again.
  • svts123
    svts123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got mine in August and have managed to lose weight with it, I too had had the implant before this. As an unrelated to weight loss (sorry!) question - has anyone else found they're getting spotty with it?! Or if you've had it for a while, did the spots go? I feel like I'm 15 again! :(
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    svts123 wrote: »
    I got mine in August and have managed to lose weight with it, I too had had the implant before this. As an unrelated to weight loss (sorry!) question - has anyone else found they're getting spotty with it?! Or if you've had it for a while, did the spots go? I feel like I'm 15 again! :(

I'm on my second one. I was "spotty" for 4-6 months with the first one and have only had 2/3 periods in the past 8 years. When I had the 2nd one put in, I was spotty for that month.
  • svts123
    svts123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    svts123 wrote: »

I'm on my second one. I was "spotty" for 4-6 months with the first one and have only had 2/3 periods in the past 8 years. When I had the 2nd one put in, I was spotty for that month.

That's reassuring... hopefully a couple of months until normality :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I've had one for 4 1/2 years. I have gained weight during this time, however, I think the weight gain has more to do with a bad diet and lack of exercise. Plus, no periods in 4 years!!!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have had one for 3.5 years now, and no weight gain or problems with losing. My biggest complaints are the acne it has caused and occasional cramping/stabbing pains when I sneeze or bend the wrong way.