Juicing Diet

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Your body uses food as fuel even if you are in a coma. Again, making some educated assumptions based on your profile info (weight loss goal of 225lbs), your BMR - basal metabolic rate - is around 2400-3000. That means your body requires that much fuel to provide for the basic body functions of breathing, pumping blood thru your body, digestion and elimination processes, cell regeneration, etc.

Only providing 800 calories for your body to function is a recipe for disaster.

Please read the following links for a better understanding of successful weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/974889/in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/974888
  • brudius
    brudius Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    brudius wrote: »
    First, let me say thank you for all of the opinions. It is good to hear what people think and different prospectives.

That being said MFP said i should be eating 2340 a day. Even when i am not dieting i don't consume 2340 calories a day. My main problem is that i have a very sedentary lifestyle. I sit in a cubicle and answer phone calls for 9 hours a day.

I mainly want to do this because it will at least give me a jump start to losing weight. On my 15 minute breaks and my 1 hour lunche i try to walk around our large parking lot to burn as many calories as i can. During an average day, it feels impossible to have calories out be more than calories in, unless i only have like 800 calories in.

That many calories for losing? Double check your data and make sure you have it entered correctly. Did you tell MFP that your lifestyle is sedentary? How did you answer the workout question? And how much did you tell it you want to lose per week? Plus, if you height and weight are not correct MFP will not be accurate.

Honestly, the trick to losing excess weight and keeping it off is to train yourself to eat better. This happens gradually. If you try to "jumpstart" anything, you won't really learn how to eat properly and will most likely fail long term.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you succeed.

I double checked, and adjusted a few things now it is saying 1,843 per day to lose 2 pounds per week.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are a very big dude I suppose that makes sense (the more mass you have the higher your metabolism). As you lose this number will come down.

Have you tried following MFP's advice? How long did you stick with it and how certain are you that you logged accurately? There's no magic here. You eat less than you burn and you will lose.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    First, let me say thank you for all of the opinions. It is good to hear what people think and different prospectives.

That being said MFP said i should be eating 2340 a day. Even when i am not dieting i don't consume 2340 calories a day. My main problem is that i have a very sedentary lifestyle. I sit in a cubicle and answer phone calls for 9 hours a day.

I mainly want to do this because it will at least give me a jump start to losing weight. On my 15 minute breaks and my 1 hour lunche i try to walk around our large parking lot to burn as many calories as i can. During an average day, it feels impossible to have calories out be more than calories in, unless i only have like 800 calories in.

I'm glad to see you're reading along. Unfortunately, I think you missed a big point.
    There is no "jump starting" losing weight. What you're referring to is a fast loss of water weight and it will always come back unfortunately. Your calories out includes not only your exercise, but what your body burns by being alive. If MFP says 1800 or so, GO WITH THAT. I promise, it works- I've done it and I'm in maintenance. 800 calories is far too little and is going to leave you with no energy and malnourished.
  • brudius
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Assuming you are a very big dude I suppose that makes sense (the more mass you have the higher your metabolism). As you lose this number will come down.

Have you tried following MFP's advice? How long did you stick with it and how certain are you that you logged accurately? There's no magic here. You eat less than you burn and you will lose.

I weigh 285. Everything is logged accurately, i just don't burn enough. Which i am trying to change.
  • brudius
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I'm glad to see you're reading along. Unfortunately, I think you missed a big point.
    There is no "jump starting" losing weight. What you're referring to is a fast loss of water weight and it will always come back unfortunately. Your calories out includes not only your exercise, but what your body burns by being alive. If MFP says 1800 or so, GO WITH THAT. I promise, it works- I've done it and I'm in maintenance. 800 calories is far too little and is going to leave you with no energy and malnourished.

I am doing more than 800, closer to 1000-1200 with throwing in a solid food items. I am not doing 100% juice, but it is a majority of my intake in the day though.

Last time i did the juicing i did 100% juice. This time i am doing it a bit different. Taking in some solid fruit, some lean white meat, eggs, etc. I am trying to keep everything completely accurate with food scales to weigh food as well.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

I am doing more than 800, closer to 1000-1200 with throwing in a solid food items. I am not doing 100% juice, but it is a majority of my intake in the day though.

Last time i did the juicing i did 100% juice. This time i am doing it a bit different. Taking in some solid fruit, some lean white meat, eggs, etc. I am trying to keep everything completely accurate with food scales to weigh food as well.

You're still well below the recommended minimum for men, which is 1500. If MFP says you will lose at 1800, why would you deprive yourself of 800+ calories?
  • brudius
    edited November 2015
    Options

You're still well below the recommended minimum for men, which is 1500. If MFP says you will lose at 1800, why would you deprive yourself of 800+ calories?

I guess it is the mentality that eating more means i will lose less. It is hard for me to change that. Since i have never been successful it is something i need to try to break through. I just turned 29 also and i don't want to weigh what i do when i hit 30.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I guess it is the mentality that eating more means i will lose less. It is hard for me to change that. Since i have never been successful it is something i need to try to break through. I just turned 29 also and i don't want to weigh what i do when i hit 30.

If you make it to hard/restrictive for yourself, you are likely to give up and you will do exactly what you are saying you don't want to do. Do you have an activity tracker? Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh all solid/semi-solid food items (peanut butter, and prepackaged goods like protein bars)?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Losing more than 2 lbs per week is unsafe and can hurt you in the long run. You don't want to lose lean body mass or suffer the consequences of malnutrition. I am turning 30 in a few weeks and I get it- I started MFP when I turned 29 for the same reason.

But there are a LOT of people here that will back me up in saying slow and steady is the way to go because it keeps you healthy and better off in the long run. At 2lbs a week, you're looking at 96 lbs in a year. Weight loss isn't linear and as you reach your goal weight, you're not likely to sustain such a high rate of loss, but I'm trying to put it into perspective for you. 2lbs a week is a great place to start.
  • brudius
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

If you make it to hard/restrictive for yourself, you are likely to give up and you will do exactly what you are saying you don't want to do. Do you have an activity tracker? Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh all solid/semi-solid food items (peanut butter, and prepackaged goods like protein bars)?

I have an apple watch to track my activity. The scale i have is specifically for food.
  • brudius
    Options

Losing more than 2 lbs per week is unsafe and can hurt you in the long run. You don't want to lose lean body mass or suffer the consequences of malnutrition. I am turning 30 in a few weeks and I get it- I started MFP when I turned 29 for the same reason.

But there are a LOT of people here that will back me up in saying slow and steady is the way to go because it keeps you healthy and better off in the long run. At 2lbs a week, you're looking at 96 lbs in a year. Weight loss isn't linear and as you reach your goal weight, you're not likely to sustain such a high rate of loss, but I'm trying to put it into perspective for you. 2lbs a week is a great place to start.

Thank you for all of your advice!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

At your weight, you burn a ton of calories just by existing. I'm 260 pounds, and while yes I am more active than you, my "calories out" - as measured by actually looking at my weight loss and my calories consumed over the last 100 days - is around 3300 per day. I can lose quite readily on 2300 calories.

Anyhow, this isn't a race, it's a life-long change. If you lose weight fast but learn no new good habits to help you keep it off, you'll just regain it. I've been there and done that. Don't begrudge how long it takes to lose the weight, see that time as opportunity to practice how you'll keep it off for the rest of your life. Are you going to drink 800 calories of juice for your whole life? I think not.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    brudius wrote:
    I am using the recipe from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.
    Apples - 2 medium
    Celery - 4 stalk, large
    Cucumber - 1 cucumber
    Ginger Root - 1 thumb
    Kale - 6 leaf
    Lemon - 1/2 fruit

Depending how i feel that day i may add another cucumber or apple for sweetness. I also do usually a whole lemon. I was debating on trying to mix it up a little and toss in some brewed decaf green tea.

I put this into the MFP food diary.
    200g apple = 104 calories
    200g celery = 32 calories
    300g cucumber = 45 calories
    1T ginger = 5 calories
    100g kale = 38 calories
    100g whole lemon = 29 calories
    Total = 253 calories for about 1.5 lb of food.
    Adding tea will do nothing but dilute it & fill you up more.

It's very low fat (2g), very low protein (7g), high carb, high fiber.
    So you're going to be malnourished.
    Adding 1 large egg is 78 calories, 5g fat, 6g protein.

Actually, if they use and actual juicer and not make a smoothie, then all the fiber is lost - so there's another strike. I'm the fiber brigade up in here after having had part of my colon removed due to diverticulitis getting totally out of hand. I'm going to hazard a guess and say my years of eating what likely amounted to very little fiber played a significant role in my issues. Fiber is your friend people!! Love the fiber Meg!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I have an apple watch to track my activity. The scale i have is specifically for food.

Okay, so how many calories per day is the apple watch telling you that you burn (keep in mind that all gadgets have some margin of error). I'm glad you have a food scale, it can certainly be eye opening.

How long have you been counting calories for, and how many are you actually consuming per day? Have you reviewed the database entries you are using to ensure they are accurate (many are input by users and are frequently incorrect)? How much weight have you actually lost using calorie counting?

I am asking, because juicing didn't work for you the first time (you regained it), and it seems to me to make more sense to do something that will set you up for long term success. I know it can be overwhelming to think about how far you have to go, so break it down into smaller goals. Focus on 5lbs at a time. Focus on how your clothing feels. Focus on how you feel taking a flight of stairs. And honestly, the bathroom scale is a sucky indicator of success. Take measurements and progress pictures every month. You will see differences in those things when you don't see them in the mirror. Keep in mind that your 30th birthday will come. Are you going to be healthier when it gets here? Success, in weight loss is slower, but consistent progress. Impatience is probably one of the worst enemies we have while trying to lose. Work on your mindset. Just my thoughts. Best wishes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Greetings All,

I would like to get everyone's opinions on juicing diets. I had done just juice for 10 days and lost 12 pounds previously no solid food at all. Which came back slowly, but did come back when i went to solid foods.

I am on day 2 of the juicing diet and all is going well. This time i am throwing in a few other things in, maybe a hard boiled egg for a snack, or a solid apple.

I am using the recipe from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.
    Apples - 2 medium
    Celery - 4 stalk, large
    Cucumber - 1 cucumber
    Ginger Root - 1 thumb
    Kale - 6 leaf
    Lemon - 1/2 fruit

Depending how i feel that day i may add another cucumber or apple for sweetness. I also do usually a whole lemon. I was debating on trying to mix it up a little and toss in some brewed decaf green tea.

Has anyone done one of this or similar. Any advice on how to continue strong? Any tips?
    You don't NEED to juice to lose weight. You just need to eat less calories than you burn.
    While juicing is a good supplementation to add, don't use it as a weight loss plan because it's not sustainable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

What kkenseth says is right. Generally 1% of total weight is the maximum to aim for (you likely will lose more in the first week or two no matter what you do, that's water weight). Losing more quickly seems easier, but if you have a lot to lose it's more important to make it sustainable over a period of time (like a year and then to transition into a lifetime). Also -- very important -- if you lose extra fast you will lose muscle, and not look as good when finished (and look heavier at lower weights than if you maintain muscle). It is also important to eat adequate protein to maintain muscle (and ideal to do some strength training), and juicing doesn't tend to include adequate protein.

To clear up one thing that it seems like you may be confused about:

calories in < calories out does not mean that you eat less than you exercise. Most of your calories out will be from just existing (and if you are a big guy you will burn a lot, thus why you are getting the numbers you are from MFP). Adding exercise will add to these numbers, but it isn't the sum total of calories out and you never should try to eat below the exercise numbers or think you need to exercise for some crazy number of calories (like 1800) -- that's not realistic.
  • brudius
    Options

Okay, so how many calories per day is the apple watch telling you that you burn (keep in mind that all gadgets have some margin of error). I'm glad you have a food scale, it can certainly be eye opening.

How long have you been counting calories for, and how many are you actually consuming per day? Have you reviewed the database entries you are using to ensure they are accurate (many are input by users and are frequently incorrect)? How much weight have you actually lost using calorie counting?

I am asking, because juicing didn't work for you the first time (you regained it), and it seems to me to make more sense to do something that will set you up for long term success. I know it can be overwhelming to think about how far you have to go, so break it down into smaller goals. Focus on 5lbs at a time. Focus on how your clothing feels. Focus on how you feel taking a flight of stairs. And honestly, the bathroom scale is a sucky indicator of success. Take measurements and progress pictures every month. You will see differences in those things when you don't see them in the mirror. Keep in mind that your 30th birthday will come. Are you going to be healthier when it gets here? Success, in weight loss is slower, but consistent progress. Impatience is probably one of the worst enemies we have while trying to lose. Work on your mindset. Just my thoughts. Best wishes.

Thanks for the good points. At best the watch says 500 calories in a day, average 400. Assuming it is a day like today where it is pouring outside and i cant get much walking in. When possible i scan the barcodes if it is prepackaged or i will add in by weight or cup if not prepackaged.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Just a clarification -- the apple watch isn't like fitbit. It tells you activity calories on top of normal burn only.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I weigh 285. Everything is logged accurately, i just don't burn enough. Which i am trying to change.

I used to weigh 286.8, when I first started this journey in January (I'm now at 204). I'm going to be very blunt and honest with you, from one former big guy to another...

1. There is not such thing as a "jump start". They're typically too much work to keep up that kind of intensity for any length of time.
    2. You need to eat those MFP-recommended calories to lose weight. When I first started, I was eating maybe 2800 cal/day (for a 1.5 lb/wk loss), and was losing 2-2.5 pounds/week!! The first 5 months I lost 50 pounds!!
    3. Allow MFP to adjust your calorie goals as you lose weight. My daily goal is now 1810, but I don't require as much to run my body as I did at 286. I'm now losing ~1-1.5 pounds/week.
    4. Get a fitness tracker that syncs with MFP. I bought myself a Fitbit Charge in March, and upgraded to the Charge HR in October. It gives TONS of useful information about how my body is working, and MFP will adjust your daily calorie goal based on your activity.
    5. BE PATIENT with yourself! I completely understand wanting to kick things into high gear, and I'm sure you have tons of motivation. BUT, start off with easy goals: walk for 30 minutes of your lunch break, drink less soda, take your coffee black instead with cream and sugar... WHATEVER the change you make is, make it achieveable, and realistic.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I have faith in you!! But it kills me to see another person who is in nearly the same physical condition I was set themselves up for failure. This is a *journey*, not a sprint. The weight will come off, but you have to sometimes have the patience of a saint. You'll get there!!