What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Options
I'm talking about food common enough that people are usually pretty shocked that you've never tried it.

Mine's not that good, but I've never eaten shrimp or really any seafood other than fish. I just stopped eating animals before I ever had it..

What about you?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Most fruits. I have tried apple, pear and watermelon but that's it, and I don't eat them, I've just tried them. I have a really strong aversion to fruit, it always smells sickly sweet, like it is rotting, even when it isn't. I love vegetables, and am actually very adventurous with what I eat otherwise but I can't bring myself to approach any fruits.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Nope, can't answer this one. I'm always willing to try any food once, so if it's available where I am, I've probably tried it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Nothing. In fact, I've eaten many things that most people wouldn't even consider trying. I have a very adventurous palate and always enjoy trying new/different foods. I'm also not a picky eater and there are very, very few things I don't like/won't eat.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I can't think of many... unless kale counts? I know it's become popular in recent years but I haven't seen it in supermarkets at all (maybe because I live in the UK) and have no real desire to try it anyway.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I haven't tried any type of seafood besides tuna fish from a can (which I haven't eaten since I was like 6). I've never tried peaches (but I like peach flavored drinks). I accidentally tried pineapple when Domino's put some on my half of the pizza a few months ago. I've also never tried kale. I've never tried anything pumpkin flavored or with pumpkin in it, or squash for that matter. Never tried any kind of melon. I'm sure I could keep going. Most of these gross me out or I don't want to buy them and not like them.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I cannot think of any food I have not tried (from the ones available to me). There are things I would not eat again after trying them, but I cannot think of anything I have never tried.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bacon. because jewish.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Skin-on poultry. Not as a child, not now, not ever. Not even deep-fried with batter. I just don't do poultry skin. I have never had fried chicken, in the classical sense, because of that. When my mom roasted poultry when I was a kid she made sure to remove the skin from my piece without me seeing it because I refused to eat chicken if I knew skin was even touching it. I'm more tolerant to roasted chicken now, I just remove the skin myself and eat the breast because the roasting process dries it out. but I still can't do skin-on fried or boiled chicken even if it's removed afterwards.

Other than that I'm pretty adventurous and would try anything at least once.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nope, can't answer this one. I'm always willing to try any food once, so if it's available where I am, I've probably tried it.

Same here.

I'm always surprised at common foods people haven't tried (see, e.g., thread about "what does steak taste like?") -- guess I missed out on the fussy eater gene.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can't think of many... unless kale counts? I know it's become popular in recent years but I haven't seen it in supermarkets at all (maybe because I live in the UK) and have no real desire to try it anyway.

That's funny. It's been super trendy in the US for several years now. It's common at restaurants I go to and the supermarkets tend to have multiple kinds. I like it okay (it's overrated, IMO, and I prefer chard and spinach and various other greens), but I think part of my lack of enthusiasm is the trendiness (like when a band becomes super popular so liking it is no longer as fun).
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Liver. I just won't.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    considering I haven't eaten fruits, diary and vegetables properly for at least 25 years, my list will be the longest ever and you can include pretty much everything that I'm discovering now :smile:

had my first yogurt for example 1 month ago :lol:
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Never had a corndog. Thought they looked gross as kid, and didn't care for hot dogs so it never happened. As an adult hot dogs and sausage nauseate me so I'll probably never try one lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Calamari. I am suspicious about any seafood anyway, and the tentacles just don't do it for me.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    bacon. because jewish.

Not even turkey bacon?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Liver. I just won't.
    Ugh, yeah, you're certainly not missing anything. Continue saving yourself. Growing up, my mother made liver and onions at least twice a month and I came from a house where we ate what was put in front of us, or we sat there until bedtime and if we still didn't eat it, we went to bed hungry. After the first time eating it, I went to bed hungry many other times she cooked it. And the smell. OMG. Like something dead and rotting in our kitchen.

I did learn quickly how to swallow it like a pill with milk. Every time, she paired this with Brussels sprouts, which I still don't eat. Not so much because of how they taste, but just because of horrid memories of those meals.

For me, there's lots of things that I don't try because i'm really good at knowing that if it doesn't smell good, it probably doesn't taste good. If it smells good, i'll try it. Sometimes I don't like it, like pumpkin flavored things. They smell wonderful but I just don't like the taste. I made a fresh pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving for my family and I tried a small taste, but nope, still don't like pumpkin stuff.
  • earlnabby
    edited November 2015
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Liver. I just won't.
    Ugh, yeah, you're certainly not missing anything. Continue saving yourself. Growing up, my mother made liver and onions at least twice a month and I came from a house where we ate what was put in front of us, or we sat there until bedtime and if we still didn't eat it, we went to bed hungry. After the first time eating it, I went to bed hungry many other times she cooked it. And the smell. OMG. Like something dead and rotting in our kitchen.

My mom made it too and we all had to try it. Only my eldest brother could get it down so that was one meal she eventually made for herself and him and Dad (who couldn't stomach liver either) would cook burgers for the rest. Otherwise we ate what everyone else ate.

My first job in HS was waiting tables at a family restaurant. They had a liver and onions dinner special every Thursday. I HATED getting scheduled that day. Between the kitchen cooking it and me serving it to the large number of people who made Thursday their regular night out to eat I had to smell the stuff for hours.
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

For me, there's lots of things that I don't try because i'm really good at knowing that if it doesn't smell good, it probably doesn't taste good. If it smells good, i'll try it.

Then there is Limberger and Brick cheese. They smell awful but actually taste really good.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Kale for beginners:

12243318_700662513403860_5668155615890940789_n.png?oh=2999f35e3c1382d9de40018c96fc1807&oe=56E15E89
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bacon. because jewish.

Not even turkey bacon?

That's not bacon.

I can't think of anything "common" that I've never tried.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bacon. because jewish.

Not even turkey bacon?

That's not bacon.

I can't think of anything "common" that I've never tried.

True, but it is an OK approximation