I just started Body Beast from Beachbody

Options
I'm wondering if this is enough to build good muscle and decrease body fat percentage. They focus on a different area once each week.
Anyone tried it?

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    nope. looks intense. Have you worked out before?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm not doubting that you would see some results from this program as they tend to be reasonably intense... but as far as optimal or even reasonably optimal... probably not. But, it's a good enough starting point and definitely better than nothing.
  • SenditToSarah
    SenditToSarah Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    BeachBody won't steer you wrong...Tony Horton helped me get into incredible shape instead of gaining the freshman fifteen in college! Good luck and rock on!
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Body Beast is my core workout program. I just competed in my first Bikini Competition 2 weeks ago, I did Beast every day and added only in 1 bootcamp a week.
    Can't wait for Hammer & Chisel next month, heavy lifting! Spring Bikini here i come!
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What's Hammer and Chisel? Something new?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ditch beach body and get on a heavy lifting program that has progressive overload built into it. I would suggest something like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.
  • ydyms
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ditch beach body and get on a heavy lifting program that has progressive overload built into it. I would suggest something like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.

Why do you say to ditch? It gives me a routine and I'm building muscle.
  • rezgrl
    rezgrl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »

Ydyms : Hammer and Chisel is a collaberation between Autumn Calabrese and Sav kalegi! It comes out in December. Do you use Beachbody on demand? If so you can get try it out :)

I use Body Beast and lift heavy as well. Body Beast is not easy but it is a good program to follow.

• ydyms
    Options
    rezgrl wrote: »
    ydyms wrote: »

Ydyms : Hammer and Chisel is a collaberation between Autumn Calabrese and Sav kalegi! It comes out in December. Do you use Beachbody on demand? If so you can get try it out :)

I use Body Beast and lift heavy as well. Body Beast is not easy but it is a good program to follow.

I'm not a beginner to lifting weights btw. In the past I focused a lot on cardio as well and now I'm not.
    When you say you lift heavy in addition to Body Beast, could you clarify? I'd love ideas since after completing a daily segment, I always feel like I could do more.
    Thanks!
  • weightsandmacros
    weightsandmacros Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Oh I love this workout! :)
  • kahuku
    kahuku Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have it, and plan to start after my current round of p90x3. I'm excited to try it.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting a hybrid of body beast and insanity max 30 this week. I think it's a great workout to do at home.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I can't advice you on bodybeast. I do however know that someone new to lifting can make gains really fast, and therefore benefits from targeting the same muscle groups multiple times a week. Therefore a beginner would benefit from a full body program rather than targeting a different muscle group each day.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You will love it! I gained so much strength from this program! My shoulders and arms are amazing, and the leg day was awesome! I love it because I do not have to go to the gym! At the gym I was benching 130lbs, deadlifting twice my body weight, and loved it, but the planning around the gym got old(I am not a coach btw). I started beast and was amazed at how challenged I could be just by changing my routine and the equipment I use. I have done it with bow flex adjustable dumbbells, a step(milk crate), and a stability ball. I don't have a pull up bar but would run outside and do half laying pull-ups using the frame of the kids trampoline.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You will love it! I gained so much strength from this program! My shoulders and arms are amazing, and the leg day was awesome! I love it because I do not have to go to the gym! At the gym I was benching 130lbs, deadlifting twice my body weight, and loved it, but the planning around the gym got old(I am not a coach btw). I started beast and was amazed at how challenged I could be just by changing my routine and the equipment I use. I have done it with bow flex adjustable dumbbells, a step(milk crate), and a stability ball. I don't have a pull up bar but would run outside and do half laying pull-ups using the frame of the kids trampoline.

Eta: so annoyed at this app only posting half my posts most of the time!!

I am currently in a bit of a "cut" but beast is on the books again for March. With some changes for me because my husband has bought a bench and some Olympic plates and barbells. So excited!!
  • megginanderson
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I just competed in my first Bikini comp a couple of weeks ago from doing nothing but Body Beast from my home gym. Starting Hammer & Chisel next week i prep for my next show in March!
    Don't knock it til you try it!
  • megginanderson
    Options
    maasha81 wrote: »
    I am actually starting a hybrid of body beast and insanity max 30 this week. I think it's a great workout to do at home.

be careful with a hybrid like that. too much cardio will eat the muscle you are building. What are your goals?
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One can definitely get great results in the gym too probably even better however the benefit of a program like body beast is it's a routine that's clear cut and laid out for you. You don't need to listen to the thousand people at the gym each one telling you to do it his way etc.. Huge bonus for a lot of people is you can do it at home which is a huge time saver and it definitely will get you results. I am in middle of it right now and I am loving it. One last thing you should not have any gas in the tank when you are done . if you do, you are lifting too light
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not doubting that you would see some results from this program as they tend to be reasonably intense... but as far as optimal or even reasonably optimal... probably not. But, it's a good enough starting point and definitely better than nothing.

You are correct, Body Beast is generally not optimal because it lacks enough frequency.

I have done 2 rounds of it. It's a great beginner program and it was what got me into lifting overall. I gained a lot of strength from it and eventually plateaued since the majority of the program is free weights and only uses an ez bar.

It is focused on compound lifts, but does as in some accessory lifts. But as I mentioned earlier, since it only works body parts once a week, it's not really the most ideal program. Generally, if your goal is optimization, then you should hit the same body part roughly even 48 ish hours.
  • ydyms
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You are correct, Body Beast is generally not optimal because it lacks enough frequency.

I have done 2 rounds of it. It's a great beginner program and it was what got me into lifting overall. I gained a lot of strength from it and eventually plateaued since the majority of the program is free weights and only uses an ez bar.

It is focused on compound lifts, but does as in some accessory lifts. But as I mentioned earlier, since it only works body parts once a week, it's not really the most ideal program. Generally, if your goal is optimization, then you should hit the same body part roughly even 48 ish hours.

So what DO you recommend?