Hunger signals

Options
I've been not felling hungry for lunch for the past 5 days what can I do? Why is this happening? Even the thought of food isn't appealing to me

Replies

• Gabrielbk97
    Gabrielbk97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the time of day you are eating? If not you should see a doctor because not eating can mess up your stomach and cause problems.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It can really easily be emotionally related. Happends to me too.
    As long as it is only the thought of food and not the actual eating that is the problem, try to eat something. It might help to make yourself an extra nice lunch.
    Also, lunch is not a mandatory meal. As long as you are able to reach your daily calorie goal. You could for example have "tea" with some food at four. Or have two dinners in the evening, or a pre sleep snack.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat right now. Nothing sounds good. Hopefully soon, back to normal.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've been not felling hungry for lunch for the past 5 days what can I do? Why is this happening? Even the thought of food isn't appealing to me

Have there been any changes to your diet as of late?
    Are you concerned about the lack of hunger and if so, why?
    Are you still hungry during breakfast and later in the evening?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

Some days we don't feel hungry, it can be caused by stress or simply being too busy to think about eating.

Hope your appetite has returned by now...
  • Monketo2002
    Monketo2002 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    As long as it is only the thought of food and not the actual eating that is the problem, try to eat something. It might help to make yourself an extra nice lunch.
    Also, lunch is not a mandatory meal. As long as you are able to reach your daily calorie goal. You could for example have "tea" with some food at four. Or have two dinners in the evening, or a pre sleep snack.

That's the thing I'm not eating enough

I eat as much as I can when I am hungry but for about a week I have been only eating about 1000-1200 calories sometimes less.

And I'm physically not hungry
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes for a day or a week, especially when it's hot. I can also be a drug side effect - my son is on a med that makes him not hungry and he's lost 20 pounds. I also get it when I have eaten too much and I'm basically burning off stored fat.

Have you lost any weight? If not, your body may know what it's doing.

If you are starting to lose weight, try sniffing foods. If you can't smell anything, and your nose is blocked, that may be the source of your trouble. If some things smell good, but others not, eat what smells appetizing. If everything smells gross, I'd talk to a doctor if nothing else fits.

In the mean time, if you're dropping weight but don't want to eat a lot, go for calorie dense foods. Add cheese, butter, full fat to everything. It's easy to add in calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @Monketo2002 then that is worrying, 1000-1200 calories is just not enough to fuel your body sufficiently and you have ignored the hunger pangs for long enough that your body no longer tells you its hungry! You need to eat at meal times, plan ahead so you know when and what you'll eat.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to everyone now and then. When this happens to me I simply switch up what I'm eating for a few days. Sometimes all you need is to try new things so you don't become bored with the same type of foods.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

That's the thing I'm not eating enough

I eat as much as I can when I am hungry but for about a week I have been only eating about 1000-1200 calories sometimes less.

And I'm physically not hungry

But not feeling hungry doesn't mean you can't eat.
    I'm not hungry after dinner, but I'll still eat popcorn or chips or icecream, etc.

At some point you are just going to have to try to eat. Try to bribe yourself with yummy foods.
    I know it won't feel nice to spend a lot of time making food when you are not hungry, but you are more likely to eat it id it feels like a treat.
    Think of waffels and pancakes, a blt or club sandwich or a big omelette.
    At some point it is a matter of consuming calories so you won't lose too much weight.

Honestly, there is no easy cure or trick we can give you. The only option is to consume calories.
    As a last resort you can try to drink missing calories. Full fat milk for example has plenty. Or try to make a shake with some peanut butter.
    I don't know if you are able to get enough micronutrients without lunch. If so, it doesn't matter what you replace those calories with. But preferably try eating calories consisting of micronutrients first before going to "empty" calories like sodas.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Just to follow up on that last post . . . I am on a facebook page all the time for kids who are chronically in pain. Many of their meds make them not hungry (others make them hungry all the time). But they have to eat becaue otherwise it triggers more pain.

For me, food is a great pleasure. But even if it's not, food is fuel. And you just have to eat.