Anybody @ maintenance doing a high calorie day/lower calorie rest of the week?

Options
2»

Replies

• Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't log and have been maintaining for over 2.5 years...I can guarantee you that my calorie intake is variable day to day. I will usually intuitively eat lighter after a heavier eating day.

I do log, however I always see myself experience less impulses etc.. after a higher day and I tend to have a very easy low day
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Eating what I want on weekends and being super strict during the week is the only thing that lets me maintain weight. I kept losing weight and then gaining it back over and over. IT kept happening until I tried to lose it a looooot more slowly than before. Now it's been off for a year and I find it super easy to keep off.

Mon-fri I avoid most carbs and have a routine for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner that syncs up perfectly with my workday

Friday evening I usually go out for drinks, then saturday I'll go out for dinner and sunday I eat a bit more (not much more) than normal too.
  • mysherman
    mysherman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eating at the deficit over three days is kind of tough. No problem with the high calorie day one day a week, though, but isn't it all too easy to go way over what you may have wanted to?
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one planning to do this, though my plan is for it to be somewhat temporary.

I've only just gone from loss to maintenance but am planning on keeping my last loss allowance (where I was aiming for 0.5lb/week loss) for December as I know there will be a number of times where I'll go over. Once the holidays are over and I'll be back on a more stable schedule, I'll probably go back to a more steady intake, but trying to be restrictive at special occasions tends to stress me out.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    This is the way I eat and it helps a great deal with maintaining my weight.

After some experimentation I discovered if I eat at a slight deficit during the week, I would have some calories saved up and I can eat higher calorie things I enjoy on the weekend (within reason). I might be up a couple of pounds with water weight (which freaked me out at first), but then I realized it goes away after a couple of days.

So on a normal week I tend to be strict Monday - Friday afternoon and basically eating things what I want Friday night - Sunday. I'm still very mindful however.

Looking at my calories on a weekly basis and not daily keeps me balanced and I don't gain or lose weight.

As an all or nothing person, I'm not sure if maintenance would be as smooth for me if I didn't eat this way.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sure. I eat on average below maintenance but my leg day is around 4000 Calories, or more which is a small surplus. and a bit above maintenance on back day. Trying to keep my legs growing while I lose fat.

I do put most of that food around the leg workout though. Low fat, high carb before, during, and after the workout.

I add drinks and whatever I want at restaurants on my travel days/off days. But keep it around maintenance calorie wise.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    great input - thanks everyone
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Just to further this . . . I usually go over Friday by a few hundred but am always way under for the week. I've been maintaining 4 years. You can't 'average' your goal if you're always under.
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Ewhip17 - Don't be alarmed if your weight fluctuates more than normal eating this way. You may see a higher than normal number on the scale after a high calorie day.

I took a peak at your profile. You have done some amazing work!

Thanks so much! I'm finding that it's a whole new mindset and just trying to get my head wrapped around it! :-)?p

• tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have started a plan with Mon we'd and Fri at 650, Tue Thursday and sun at 1600, and Saturdays I don't count and have a big evening meal plus desert. I have been doing this for 3 weeks to maintain. It's working so far with the added sat meal. Prior to that I kept loosing.
  • basesteel
    basesteel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of diet I would follow temporarily if I feel I ate too much during some event, which I don't care to do much these days. Too much food in one day or one setting makes me sick, bloated and heavy... and I feel far worse from overeating than I would with facing the underlying stress that's prodding me to seek out quick pleasure. I rather prefer a stable daily caloric diet and prefer as well to go jogging and do calisthenics during stressful days than overeating.Taking a nap also helps.
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I go with a MONTHLY average goal, mainly because i weigh in once a month. It works good for me. I have been maintaining my weight for a bit more than 2 years in a 5 pound range