Tips for exercising at home? HELP!!

Options
Throughout my life weight has been an issue for me and made me a target for bullying. I can't join a gym because there is no gym where I live. With winter rolling around cardio will be hard (well more dangerous) as our side walks and roads aren't salted that much, and yea I've fallen and hit my head a few times.

I was hoping to get some tips or ideas I can do at home. My biggest problem with this is my apartment is above a family restaurant and when I walk they can hear it. So I cant be jumping around and making to much noise. I feel like I can't win..

Replies

• JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home...squats and lunges for legs are great....push ups, planks....Use youtube for ideas, there are tons of videos there to be found. There are lots of great body weight routines you can do really without making lots of noise. Good luck!
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Really no gym around you? You should do a little research. Anyways, I also do everything at home. I like the idea getting up early and getting it done. Check out some exercise videos. There is a huge market for exercise videos you can do at home. Even buying a machine would be helpful too. Remember 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can do it!
  • mtns2010
    mtns2010 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also live in an icy climate and don't go to the gym (too expensive where I live). So I opt for driving to where I can walk safely in the sun and/or working out at home to videos when I don't have time to go elsewhere. I've found that if you don't care about what's trendy in home workout videos, you can find videos for very cheap online or in discount stores. Having several on hand is the key to my staying with it. I get bored easily, and sometimes I just don't feel like doing one or the other, so by having a bunch of choices hand, I have no excuses. The old Slim in 6 videos are great for low-impact, and therefore low-noise for downstairs neighbors. I also like 10-minute pilates, 10-minute yoga, and 10-minute dance (you can string the 10-minute sections together or do one at a time, depending on time and fitness level).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What Amyrebeccah said............Leslie Sansone: Walk at Home and Just Walk or Jessica Smith: Walk On ....these are mostly low impact. You can substitute low impact moves for any (small) higher impact sections.

This ^ is cardio that can be done indoors. As for living above a restaurant, low impact workouts will not make near as much noise as jumping around. I do my "walking" videos on a puzzle mat, it minimizes noise. Try a few of these on YouTube (they also have DVDs) and see if they are right for you.

Most strength training and yoga will not produce much noise either.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    www.blogilates.com. I'm a huge fan of hers-- pilates with a daily calendar of workouts to do!
  • lacost
    lacost Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a set of resistance bands. Lately, if I am watching TV I will do a "mini" workout while the show is on. I just found youtube videos with the exercises.
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Would a rowing/cycling/elliptical machine be out of the question? Great cardio!
    Failing that, it's already been said - "Remember 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can do it!"
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I just bought home gym equipment - a stationary bike and a bowflex to use along with dumbbells.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Do a search on YouTube. There a ton of workouts available, and I can guarantee that with the standard level of noise in a restaurant, I'm pretty sure they won't hear you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I drive to my most frequent walk. I'm challenging myself this winter to see how much outdoor walking I can do despite the Massachusetts weather.