Am I setting myself up for failure?

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
I've just started doing more at the gym and worry that it might be too much.

My current program is weights 3x a week in the am. I ride my bike 40 minutes (commute) in am and pm. I'll try and do a fitness class in the evening. (Generally Pump or a HIIT class) I also have softball training (not much working out) and a game. Sat mornings include a long bike ride (approx 40km)

Right now it's fine and I'm not tired. I have been listening to my body (two weeks ago I did a 70km bike ride. Was exhausted that week so only really did my HIIT class and biking to work)

Is this going to injure me? That's my main concern.

Replies

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My .02 and I am no expert and someone else will probably give you better advice... I feel like you're overdoing it a little. If I am reading it right every day you are riding the bike for 40 mins twice a day, then adding in a Pump or HIIT vid, then 3X a week doing weights?

So on your weight days you are doing weights, then riding your bike to work for 40 mins, then riding home for 40 mins then doing a pump or hiit class? That seems pretty excessive for those particular days. I would say you are not allowing your body time to recover properly and will probably lead to exhaustion and maybe injury. But perhaps I am just reading it wrong.

In the end listening to your body is key like you said. I have def done quite a few double workout days like weights in the morning, T25 at night type thing. And I think it's perfectly fine if done frequently but not everyday. Again just my .02
  • Lozze
    Options
    One clarification the ride is 20 min each way, so 40 total.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    How much of a change is this, i.e., how much is the recent add-on? If you added all the gym stuff (weights, classes, maybe more) all at once, it might be a little overwhelming - as much the time commitment as the workout load. But if you've been adding gradually, and are feeling fine, and (as you said) back it off a little if you feel fatigued, you're probably OK.

Listen to your body, know the symptoms of overtraining so you can look out for them, but beyond that, don't let other people (or your own *irrational* fears) stop you from finding out what you're capable of. (Rational fears and sensible caution are a whole different thing!)

In my personal experience, a lot depends on building up to increased activity levels over time. It used to be a big deal for me to do more than one workout in a day (spin class plus an hour or so rowing, for example). But after I'd been doing the activities for a while (or similar ones), it wasn't really a problem to stack more than one in a day, or do one of my regular activities for an extra long time.

If I add in something quite unaccustomed - like now I'm adding back in weight training after not doing it for several years - then I have to build it in a little gradually. However, I'm 60 years old, and my stamina really hasn't been the same since chemotherapy 15 years ago, so younger, more robust folks probably don't have to go quite as slowly. ;)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yup, like @AnnPT77 said. Doesn't look unreasonable. Your biggest risk will be if you have a minor tweek from one of the activities, and try to "push through the pain" rather than put everything on hold...turning something that could've been recovered from in a week or two into something that takes a multi-month recovery. Keep listening to your body instead of your workout schedule and you'll be fine.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    measure distance NOT time... I can ride for 20 minutes and go 5 miles... OR I can ride for 20 minutes and go 10 miles... measure your effort not the time you spend exercising. ANY repetitive motion can lead to a repetitive motion injury over time, unless you apply some stretching and flexibility to your routine... diet can and will also play a greater part the older you/we get... THE GREAT news is you are in motion... keep at it.. even if you hurt, pull, strain, or sprain something, the fact that you ARE active will lead to a quicker recovery... do what you enjoy... have fun... everyone develops an injury at some point... JUST don't run with scissors in your hand :)
  • Lozze
    Options
    I have been stretching daily and just added a morning one. Just a 10 minute YouTube video.

It's been building up. I've been riding daily for a few months and gyming in the arvo 4/5 times a week. My only 'worry' is while I'm home for Xmas I'll get out of the habbit!

The DOMS this morning after doing proper weights are killer!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Prolly fine, then, what with the build up & it not all being new, as long as it's sustainable for you not just physically but also psychologically and time-budget-wise.

Keep an eye on the DOMS (as if you could ignore it ;) ), though. Should stop being a big issue after a small number of sessions, IMO . . . if it doesn't, maybe back it down just a little in terms of reps, sets, weight or sessions/week - especially if it starts turning into fatigue. (I've dropped from 3 to 2 weight sessions/week starting back up because 3 was too fatiguing in deficit - just didn't feel like muscle repair was happening as it needed to . . . but like I said, I'm old.)

Foam rolling after the session may help if it's "just" DOMS, or a relaxing hot shower/bath and light stretch later. Oh, and eat enough protein, especially if you're in calorie deficit.

Maybe you can come up with some alternate active pursuits when you're home for the holiday, just to keep up a habit?
  • rscrayen
    rscrayen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As long as you are giving your muscles time to regenerate (24hrs) after weight training and you feel good I don't see a problem. It Sounds like you're getting in the min of 30 mins cardio during the ride...and adding on training most days of the week. Injury happens most commonly when you are working out with exhausted muscles...maybe try a split program over the 3 days of weights (upper body, lower body, core) so you aren't doing a full body workout every time and risk overdoing it...
  • Lozze
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice!

I'm currently doing NROLFW again and hoping to do the three times a week. But I'll make sure to drop to two if gets too much

When home am doing long walks around my parents place, they live on a golf course so lots of space! Will prob also buy a Kettlebell while over there.

My stretching and then riding to work seemed to have fixed the DOMS issue