Halp! Books and fitness tracker gadgets

Options
Hey yall. Let me get right to it.
I have a viva fit 2 fitness tracker, but it belongs to my school so I have to turn it end once the semester ends. I would like a fitness tracker of my own, preferably one that I can go swimming with.
Also I am currently typing on my new nook! God bless holiday deals. Anyways! I would like to download some health/fitness/diet/recipe books on my eReader but there are way too many options
SO, MFP community give me your recommendations! Fitness tracker gadgets and/or books.
Bonus for whoever has fun workout videos to recommend.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I have a vivosmart and absolutely love it. Not sure how well it doesn't with swimming although they (garmin) say you can use it for swimming.

As far as books go, be very very careful. Many books out there are really just money makers for the authors and have no basis in science.
  • daross16
    daross16 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it seems pretty obvious which ones aren't going to be useful just by looking at the covers
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    How about a nutrition textbook. And an exercise science textbook.

Fitness tracker? A mirror. :+1:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Way too old school, @Cherimoose .

I bought the Moov but I'm not sold on it yet. It is waterproof but it is not a step counter and is not meant to be used all day.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a vivo fit and love it. You can swim with it and it doesn't require charging
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The misfit shines are swimming safe. :)
  • anamind
    anamind Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally SWEAR by Mike Matthews, especially Thinner, Leaner, Stronger" if you're a girl and "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" if you're a guy. I haven't read BLS as I am female but I hear they're pretty similar. Mike also has free podcasts if you just want to check those out first, his URL is muscleforlife.com, all the info is there.

But I strongly reccomend his books, especially the two I mentioned (and no, I am not being paid to say this, promise). His books outline exactly how to manage nutrition, supplements, diet, and exercise in a healthy way, and he has a very "no BS" way of thinking that I relate with. His books are rather lengthy, but worth every second of time you spend reading them.

I hope you do well on your weight loss journey and best of luck to you!
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For weight lifting I like Strong Curves :)
  • daross16
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    How about a nutrition textbook. And an exercise science textbook.

Fitness tracker? A mirror. :+1:

:|
  • daross16
    Options
    I have a vivo fit and love it. You can swim with it and it doesn't require charging

Ooh and I think they're on sale too
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Way too old school, @Cherimoose .

I bought the Moov but I'm not sold on it yet. It is waterproof but it is not a step counter and is not meant to be used all day.

Everything I see about the Moov is that it is meant to be used all day as it does track activity, at least that is how I have been using it. The difference it rather than measuring steps it measures movement activity and uses that for its algorithm to calculate TDEE.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love Polar products, I have the A300 and it is waterproof plus it holds it's charge for about a month. The only downfall (for me) with Polar is if you have an android phone/tablet then you can't sync with MFP, I keep waiting *patiently* for an update so that I can sync because I will always be an android user. I am thinking about using my boyfriends old iphone just to sync. Also, a lot of the polar devices now have smart notifications, A300 sadly doesn't have the update yet, still waiting patiently for that too!