Donut substitute anyone

brunsie
brunsie Posts: 54
edited September 19 in Recipes
My DH loves donuts and we used to get them on Sunday nights. He wants to still get the donut effect without the actual donut. Do any of you have recipes or suggestions for a donut substitute? Something baked sweet that can be a desert?

Replies

• brunsie
    brunsie Posts: 54
    My DH loves donuts and we used to get them on Sunday nights. He wants to still get the donut effect without the actual donut. Do any of you have recipes or suggestions for a donut substitute? Something baked sweet that can be a desert?
  • Hmmm. . . a challenging question. I have the same type of hankering for a bowl of high sugar cereal at night as well. This is easier said than done, but perhaps a change of habit would be easier than trying to find a satisfying recipe to substitute for fried bread and/or cake dough. However, there are probably some good low fat and high fiber muffin recipes out there that might work as a substitute. :smile:
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    This site has alot of interesting sounding things: http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/desserts/dessertindex.htm

Just switch the sugars out for splenda, etc.

Mini Cocoa Cupcakes
    Just the right size to curb those chocolate cravings.

Serves 4 - (Makes 12 cupcakes - 3 per serving)

• 1/3 cup water
    • 1/3 cup pitted dates, coarsely chopped
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), coarsely chopped
    • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • Vegetable oil cooking spray
    • 1 teaspoon confectioners sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Bring water and dates just to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, then transfer mixture to a food processor and add cocoa powder and chocolate, pulsing once to combine. Let cool 2 minutes, then add brown sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda, and a pinch of salt, then purée until smooth. Add flour and pulse just until incorporated.

Spray mini nonstick muffin cups (12 - 1/8 cup) with cooking spray. (If pan is not nonstick, line sprayed bottoms with rounds of wax paper, then spray paper.) Spoon batter into cups, dividing it evenly, and bake in middle of oven until a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack (remove wax paper, if using) and cool completely, right side up. Just before serving, sprinkle tops lightly with confectioners sugar.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 149 Calories; 6g Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; (30.5% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 98mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Hmm...

What about French toast with cinnamon and Splenda/stevia/whatever?

Hungry Girl has this great French toast recipe:

3 slices light wheat bread (around 45-50 cals a slice)
    1/3 cup Egg Beaters, Original
    1/2 oz. Torani Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup OR 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon (divided)
    1 packet Splenda

Combine Egg Beaters with vanilla syrup (or extract) and half of the cinnamon.

Use the egg mixture as an egg wash, and dip your bread into it.

Cook in a pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

When both sides are brown, plate those suckers and sprinkle ‘em with Splenda and the remaining cinnamon. This stuff is super on its own, but feel free to serve it up with sugar-free maple syrup, sugar-free jelly, some fresh berries, and/or some Fat Free Reddi-wip.

170 cal
    14 gr. Protein
    8 gr. Fiber
    31 gr. Carbs

Ok, here's an idea to get it more donut-y:

Cook a little less than the recipe says. Drizzle in sugar free maple syrup (on top of the cinnamon-splenda blend) and pop in the oven (maybe 400 degrees?) for 5-10 minutes. It might make it glaze up.

Mind you, I've never tried this...but I'm tempted now!
  • The other day I made toast, used smart balance, splenda and sugar. It did the trick for me.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    How about an organic (Van's) waffle with a little Lite cool whip and blueberries
This discussion has been closed.