Logging for life?

Options
2»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I think I might log in some form for life as I intend to do bulking and cutting cycles after I've reached maintenance. Plus I think my physiological appetite is too slow to kick in, and my mental appetite too high.
    I think logging will get easier and easier though. Eventually plates or phones might be able to record things with just a sample.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Right now, I plan to log forever. I believe I have an addiction to eating. I've done this yoyo so many times, and would rather just keep logging than relive it again. Maybe I'll maintain for a few years and then change my mind, but for now... Forever it is.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I plan to log forever. I think some people biologically don't experience hunger and satiety in a normal way, and that I will likely never be able to self-regulate weight like some can. It's possible that it's leptin resistance and will go away with weight loss, but I am not trusting my success to that hope.

That said, I don't mind it at all. I spend less than three minutes planning out each day in advance, and I actually really like having all my meals planned the day ahead of time so when I get home I don't have to think, I just need to do. It's less work than brushing my teeth, and my dentist is thankful I plan to keep that up for a lifetime too.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I am now on maintenance and I log daily! :)
    This is really vital and important for me. Sure, I won't be as 'tight' with my logging like I was when I was trying to lose weight but I think it's important to always be healthily aware of what we are consuming. Not tracking and being mindful of my portions and intake led to me being overweight time and time again, despite being 'educated' about the process. I don't think daily tracking has to mean you are constantly having to be obsessive - but just a rough idea of calorie intake is always going to be a good thing. The way I see it? I worked too hard to just throw all my learnt behaviours away.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight in September and started maintenance until my vacation in mid October. I stopped logging for the week I was there and ate whatever I wanted. When I got back I had gone from 185 to 200 pounds. 1.5 months later I am back to 185 and still logging. I plan to lose another 20 more then maintain that weight while trying to build some muscle. I plan to keep logging until the site stops working or I die.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I can't really decide. Even though I reached my goal months ago, I continue to track for the most part because my husband is still losing weight and since I do the bulk of the cooking I am the one entering the recipes still so I haven't had much of a chance or reason to fall off the habit of logging. I wake up crazy stupid early (I've been up for over an hour and it is only 3:16am here) so I preplan my day in the wee hours and then tweak as needed. I used to adamantly say "I'll log FOREVER!" Now I say "I'll log as long as I need to" which just might end up being forever - or it might fall aside over time, I just don't know. I'll WEIGH forever, I'm sure. I'm kind of thinking about the idea of random week(s) of logging just to make sure I'm still on track (like on a monthly, cyclic basis, because I can totally undo myself during shark week if I'm not paying close attention!). Oh, and around holidays, too, because we all know how easy it is to fall apart basically from Halloween through the end of the year!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think I will keep logging because it has many benefits outside of weight-loss for me. I may relax some of the weighing and measuring rules, but I am not sure yet. I will decide when I get to goal.
  • Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    all you gotta do is just quickly log into the phone and simply track everything to give you an accurate idea, obviously not as accurate as weighing everything but this can be done in 15 minutes a day and gives you a great ball park figure. Or just do this till you lose weight, tracking, then simply continue to eat reasonable and not overeat and when you gain 5 pounds unwanted you track again

ideas
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have to log, yeah. I like treats too much and it's the only way to make sure that they actually fit in my days.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My sister asked me this question just yesterday.

I don't want to log for life, but if I have to I will log. Once I'm in maintenance, I'll log for a couple of months and then slowly try to lose the habbit. I'll still have mfp there in case I need it, such as; family gatherings, weddings, festivals etc...

I would hope that it will come more naturally, but I do enjoy food and I definitely don't want to go back to being huge. So if I gain some back I'll log again before too much damage is done.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us can really know yet... I came into this willing to log for 100 weeks. I divide my efforts into 10 week segments & I'm planning to complete 10 of them in order to see where this lifestyle might take me. I don't look beyond that at this point.
    Sometimes I read the maintenance threads for tips & inspiration, and it looks like there are a variety of approaches.
    I don't think anyone knows if they will or they won't need the structure of logging longterm, although we ALL need it when we begin! Good luck to you, Xo
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I'll be doing for the rest of my life. That could end up being decades or days, and either way it's too vague a timeline to contemplate. What I do know is that logging is a habit now, and an easy one at that, and with such a low threshold for error in my caloric range it makes sense to keep close track of what I'm eating. Logging gives me confidence in my choices and lets me enjoy the treats I've allowed for without having to worry that I've overeaten. At the moment, I can't think of a good reason to stop.
  • jgaffney86
    jgaffney86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds 12 years ago now and I have still managed to keep most of it off. What resulted from that was a lifestyle change. That change was logging what I ate, eating healthy foods, checking portions, excersice, and making healthy recipes that tasted great! Loosing weight and maintaining requires to you keep these changes.

My best advice is when you screw up...just keep going. I have had countless days where I didnt track, i ate too much, ect...ect. Thats okay. There is always the next. Keep the good habits that got you to weight loss going for the rest of your life :smile:
  • helpatalkingmuffin
    Options
    The last time I got to maintenance and stopped logging, I promptly gained about ten pounds (and over the next few years, I regained everything that I'd lost, plus more). I wouldn't say that I plan to log daily forever, but I know what happens when I don't log. When I get to maintenance this time, I'll probably log Monday-Friday and have occasional week-long breaks every few months. I'm just not good at intuitive eating, and I know it from experience, so if I have to log semi-regularly to maintain my weight, I will.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Eventually you can use it as a tool to get back on track, or experiment with a new approach, or just increase results from time to time. Been "logging" for 7 years, but usually 2-4 months a year in total. After a month of logging I can generally keep the same routine for another month without logging before I stray off track.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I think some of it is getting a system in place where logging is really easy. With all my saved meals and the like, I can usually log the whole next day in a minute, and the only things I log day of are the extra snack calories I had left over. It's easy enough that it can be a part of my daily routine, like showering or brushing my teeth. It's very unobtrusive and simple.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to log at maintenance. In 2013 I lost nearly 70 pounds and decided to "maintain" for a while. Two years later, well, here I am -- all the weight regained plus some bonus pounds. It's not my body's fault. It's mine, for falling back into bad habits. I have to accept that I will most likely never "naturally" eat at maintenance. It will always take work.