(POST 2) BATTLE OF THE BULGE Summer Slimdown Challenge!!!

Options

Replies

• crystlgrn
    crystlgrn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    One thing I was surprised at what the amount of sodium in some breads, especially at restaurants. So, I don't eat bread anymore. If I'm at a sub shop, I will ask for my sandwich to be wrapped in lettuce instead of the bread (if that's an option). The lettuce wraps are delicious and much healthier too!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I should be fine, I work in the gym tomorrow. I usually get my water in on the days I work. I'm hoping to start turbo fire soon but I have to figure out how to get the dvds to work. I think there is an error in my dvd player or the dvds. I got the dvds on sale.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    waaaaaaay toooo cute ;o)
    love your post!
    :flowerforyou:
    prob safe to say the caloric burn
    for crocheting is the same as knitting....
    :laugh: (give or take)?
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    when i was diagnosed with high cholesterol i came home and threw away all my salt....i replaced it with mrs. dash, which has great flavors and adds spice to my foods....there are foods i buy that has sodium in it, but i try to buy reduced sodium or low salt content foods......
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Well I stayed well under my sodium today =) And I lost track of my water after 12 glasses =))))) Come on weigh in I am ready!
    When It comes to sodium I am a freak! I try to use no sodium cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper for the most part in my cooking =)
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I missed my fiber mark today but did get all my water in. I will weigh in tomrrow when I go to work. I am not sure what to expect after the big drop last week. Oh, well...a few hours until I know.
  • samvanz
    samvanz Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    From the foods I eat every-day I'm not too bad for sodium - I stick to lots of fresh fruit and veggies, steer clear of microwave meals if I can because they're PACKED with the stuff!

I AM, however, a sucker for adding salt to things when I'm cooking. I've taken to cayenne pepper lately, it seems to fulfill the same craving, somehow. Also, chopped herbs like corriander or basil often have the same effect :)
  • Soufsidekitho
    Soufsidekitho Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few foods that I consider to be my favorites! And yes, most of them are full of sodium! My remedy for that is to prepare my favorite foods at home, instead of dining out all the time. I still eat out, but not as much as I use to. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure two years ago at the age of 29....which was quite scary. HBP runs in my family. However, I was the youngest in the family to be diagnosed. Since then, I've made the conscious decision to season my foods with Mrs. Dash. I hated it at first, because I had been so accustomed to highly seasoned foods. But now, I love it! Mrs. Dash comes in a variety of flavors that taste pretty good. I also use Land o Lakes unsalted butter in my foods too!

I really enjoy eating Smart Ones! They are actually lifesavers for a person (like me) with a hectic work and school schedule. Although most of them are fairly low in calories, they tend to be sky high in sodium. So I have to be careful about the dinners I purchase.

I was advised by the school nurse on my campus to not exceed 2000 mg of sodium per day.
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just been catching up on everything from over the weekend...as far as my sodium I like to try and use other types of spices when I prepare foods at home Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, a small amount of garlic salt...and other seasonings which spice up the foods I eat...the only thing I really HAVE to add salt to in order to eat it are green beans I just cant do it otherwise I love them but I needs my salt on them!

Im looking forward to completing the challenges this week since our first month goal is right around the corner...I can't believe how fast the time is flying by!!!
  • kacione
    kacione Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I personally never add salt (or sugar for that matter) to anything. I buy low sodium and when I cook I stick to the basics. You would be surprized at how good food really tastes without the sodium added. Most of my spices are peppers and fresh garlic.
    The challenge for this week will be a challenge. I can do the water, but will have to put my all into keeping track and eating under my calorie goal. Exercise will be done with ease if only I can get outside and work in my flowerbeds on the days that I don't walk with my walking buddy. Cheers and lots of luck to all.......
  • kacione
    Options
    Just watched the dances and I think I can do it. Have not done the macarana since my girls were living at home. LONG time ago, but I will work on it anyway. best to all
  • nydragon
    nydragon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    June 13 weight: 141 lbs- could have done better if I did not cave in to cheesecake madness. :laugh:
    nonetheless, lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks!
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "forgot" to weigh in today in the morning, probably it was precautions measures, since I don't fell like having lost weight in the last week.

will do it tomorrow in the morning :)

I tracked sodium it the last weeks and discovered, that usually I'm most of the times under my limit. today's diary sounds really bad about sodium, because of the processed sauce which accompanied the meat (which was included in the calories on the packing) - but didn't eat it and made my own - sure to be way under the sodium listed :)

What I was really suprised about was the bread it has alot of sodium, but I try not to eat bread in the mornings anymore, and ice cream - who would have thought that? - but I don't really have to tell anyone, why I should reduce ice cream anyways? ;) but had "some" today, without going over calories - thanks to exercise.

and now I'll put on youtube and do the dances :)
    and afterwards, I'll fill up my glass further - have to drink extra 6 cups of water due to excerise.

do YOU also add a cup of water to your "basal" water glass after excercise? 15 mins of exercise add 1 cup (250 ml) of water.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sodium yesterday was not good. I was at a barbeque all afternoon and could have done a little better with my choices. I know I would have had an even better weigh-in this morn if I did. Usually my sodium is not bad at all. Like others have said, food tastes so much better without all that added sodium. We like to use Mrs. Dash spices in my house also. Love the chili lime on my turkey burgers.

I am really going to focus on this weeks challenges with the June 20th goal being one week away. Like they say on the Biggest Loser - Last Chance Workout..I am going to treat this week like that.

The pp asked about adding water when you workout...I think that is a good idea, I was not counting the water I consume during my workouts.
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone! I do not usually check on sodium, perhaps I should. Although yesterday AI did check it & it was low. I usually do not add any salt to my food. But, I do eat rice crisps sometimes that has quite a bit of it in them. Anyway, have a great day all & good luck on weigh-ins.
  • kacione
    Options
    I have dropped my goal weight to 151 since I met the original goal for this part of our challenge. So because I am determined to make it I think I will challenge myself to do 2x the posted activity challenge every day. I can and will do it for me. Best of luck to all
  • SLIM195
    SLIM195 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey! Bob's

I stop using salt years ago, I use Mrs. Dash and pepper. Don't have a problem with water, I'm aways drinking bottles of it. I eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. That way I know how much sodium they have. When I'm shopping for foods, I always read the nutrition labels on the item for its Fats, Sugar and Sodium values. If its high in sodium I don't buy it.
  • kaylor908
    kaylor908 Posts: 42
    Options
    Oh man I haven't checked-in in two weeks. Im gonna get back on track tho
  • lindsabe11e
    Options
    I eat salty foods whenever possible because of a heart condition I have that requires me to increase sodium/water daily. Buuut I don't really like the taste of salt, so I don't add it to anything. :) Mostly I just get it from soups and the occassional Smart Balance popcorn
  • sheBB
    sheBB Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Did ok on today's challenge except for my water intake, only hve about 5 down, 3 more to go & it is now 10:15, I will live in the bathroom tonight. Working out was fine an hour of zumba, & am under my calorie goal. Tomorrow is a new day. Have a great night all.