Loose skin

Options
So i am on a journey to lose 100 lbs, I have already lost 21, I'm noticing a little bit of loose skin already and I'm really nervous about what it will be like when I hit my goal. Is there anything to do or take to help prevent this?

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Take your time . . . sorry to say it's genetics. I lost almost 90 lbs and early on I looked at myself one day and cried at what I saw. I could not believe what I had done to myself, but a few weeks later I noticed some of the sagging skin was gone. I still have loose skin, after 2 pregnancies and at 47 years old I figure I will likely never wear a bikini or probably even shorts and even though no one may never see my abs I know they are there!

Some say drink a lot of water, moisturize your skin well, but it does still come down to genetics some will have loose skin and some won't. But do not let that curtail your weight loss the health benefits are priceless.

Best wishes!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I agree...it is what is it is. I had over 125 pounds to lose when I started and I knew full well that there is going to be some extra skin that's never going to go away. But that's life. You've got to look on the bright side. I was a size 24 pants at my highest weight and now 70 pounds down and I am fitting into a size 14. Sure there is loose skin and a little sag but you can't really tell in a pair of jeans. :)
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Surgery is the only cure.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Surgery is the only cure.

Yeah....but then you have scars. I'm not sure which is better. I'm gonna do the wait and see game first.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There really isn't. Some say that losing the weight slowly is helpful, but it's no guarantee that there won't be loose skin. Don't get suckered into paying for oils, creams, special brushes, etc. None of that can help.

The loose skin is the worst part of weight loss for me. It's really ugly and can cause some issues on it's own. I really hate it. But I'm still glad to be losing and will continue to lose. Even with the excess skin hanging down, it's worth it! :)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am also " struggling " with this. I have read a few posts here which suggest waiting till you're at maintenance for 9+ months to see how your skins elasticity has fared after that much weight loss. Tbh, even if my skin stays how it is now, I'm not too worried, but I'm sure this is not a common sentiment for others who are dealing with this.
  • daniellebennett3532
    Options
    I just wanted to share that Shea Moisture is an organic product. They have a body wash that helps firm skin that is on sale Buy One Get One Free until 12/05/2015. So you get two body washes for $10. The sale is going on at Rite Aid... Here is a link for the picture. https://shop.riteaid.com/shea-moisture-coconut-hibiscus-foaming-milk-body-wash-16-fluid-oz-1-bottle-0372257
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i lost 100 over the course of a year. yes, i used lotion (nothing special) i drank water, lots and lots of water, i exercised, did strength training during much of my time actively losing and have been carrying on with that. after being at maintenance (ish) for about 2 years, decided on having surgery to fix my belly skin. I am happy with it but its not for the faint of heart. its painful, the healing process is slow, and it doesn't fix it all. yes i have a scar along my bikini line. my arms and thighs weren't a problem in my opinion until now, now that my belly is tight(ish) my brain is picking at the rest of me...the brain is a dick.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I just wanted to share that Shea Moisture is...

... a scam.

*edit: an organic scam....
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share that Shea Moisture is an organic product. They have a body wash that helps firm skin that is on sale Buy One Get One Free until 12/05/2015. So you get two body washes for $10. The sale is going on at Rite Aid... Here is a link for the picture. https://shop.riteaid.com/shea-moisture-coconut-hibiscus-foaming-milk-body-wash-16-fluid-oz-1-bottle-0372257

I love Shea Moisture products! Thanks.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have noticed so far is that my breasts are deflated...lol but I still have a ways to go