Weather and exercise

Options
It has been pouring for 2 days and looks like it will continue a few more! I have been walking daily for the past three months and have been able to work around the rain however with the time change there isn't a lot of daylight. I don't own a treadmill. How do you keep the motivation? What do you do?

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I take it you're in the UK! :) yes it's been torrential lately, I just stay aware of the conditions and take my chance for a run whenever I can, dark or light. But of course it depends where you live and what type of place you're walking. I know a lot of people use online resources for exercise videos etc., is that an option for you to use in the home if you don't have gym access?
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've been known to go to a mall, a shopping center with a covered walkway or a big box store to get in some steps when the weather is bad.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    buy yourself a dog :-) They don't accept rain as a valid excuse to miss a walk :-) I also love running in the rain, I don't think you can really beat it tbh so I would give it a go. Although I have a mad labrador who drags me out, when I walk I wear waterproof overtrousers and a waterproof top so although it is chucking it down I can keep dry inside :-)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can either walk at a mall or a university or a large building with public access.
    me, I waterproof and go out anyways
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    There are lots of "walk at home" type workouts/DVDs/youtube videos you could use when the weather is bad :)
  • DarrylSpiers
    DarrylSpiers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love to do walk because we can do walk in every kind of weather. I never skip walk and try to do it daily. This is my most favorite exercise that i can also do at home.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    morkiemama wrote: »
    There are lots of "walk at home" type workouts/DVDs/youtube videos you could use when the weather is bad :)

This is what I was going to suggest. There are so many videos on YouTube it will make your head spin.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Buy a rain suit. I have one and have worn it in downpours but stayed dry (make sure you get one with some reflective or bright color bands so you stay visible). No weather keeps me away from my walking except an ice storm, and even then I have two different types of cleats (one for thin ice like black ice and one for thick ice like walking on a frozen lake).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    morkiemama wrote: »

This^

Indoor "walking" is great. If you don't like Leslie Sansone (Walk at Home) then google Jessica Smith. She has lots of indoor "walks" too. Both of these are on DVD also. Check your local library.

Snow & ice........no way am I walking my neighborhood when we've had 3'+ of snow during the season. No sidewalks and the plows can't push new snow high enough to clear lanes anymore.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I cannot get out much because I care for my elderly mom who cannot be left alone. I literally walk over 10 miles a day inside the house. With no treadmill.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I bought an all inclusive year round gym membership for $45 and make sure I go 4-5 days a week.
  • lauralizpiercy
    lauralizpiercy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It definitely de-motivates me when the weather is bad and its dark a lot. I have a relatively inexpensive gym membership, which does help me. If you're not up for that then I'd recommend investing in some good quality waterproofs and going out anyway! Also, if there's snow/ice, you can get yaktraks (not sure if that's the right spelling) which allow you to grip on ice. You just put them on your normal shoes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    It definitely de-motivates me when the weather is bad and its dark a lot. I have a relatively inexpensive gym membership, which does help me. If you're not up for that then I'd recommend investing in some good quality waterproofs and going out anyway! Also, if there's snow/ice, you can get yaktraks (not sure if that's the right spelling) which allow you to grip on ice. You just put them on your normal shoes.

Close - yaktrax :)

My mom and brother got them for the ice last winter.

I got a cheap gym membership for this winter.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    marsh5224 wrote: »
    It has been pouring for 2 days and looks like it will continue a few more! I have been walking daily for the past three months and have been able to work around the rain however with the time change there isn't a lot of daylight. I don't own a treadmill. How do you keep the motivation? What do you do?

Do you live near a gym?

What about exercise videos from You Tube?

Maybe you have some exercise DVDs hanging around the house you forgot about.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I bought an all inclusive year round gym membership for $45 and make sure I go 4-5 days a week.

And I thought I was special with my $99 a year lifetime gym membership. But, $45? That's priceless.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    marsh5224 wrote: »

Do you have a pedometer? That can help motivate you to do indoor walking.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Close - yaktrax :)

My mom and brother got them for the ice last winter.

Even better are the Kahtoola nanospikes. They don't make the funny springy sound like yaktrax do when walking (fit better on your shoes too) http://kahtoola.com/product/nanospikes/

I like the Stabilicers for thicker ice http://smile.amazon.com/STABILicers-Stabilicers-Cleats-Orange-7-5-10/dp/B003UYYR0C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1448987284&sr=8-9&keywords=kahtoola
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    if the weather is too nasty for me to get out and ride, i resign myself to going to the gym for cardio work. generally i only use the gym for the weight room, but weather can often be an issue when you ride a road bike.

fortunately, i live in the high desert here in NM...it does get bone chilling cold here in winter, but we don't get a ton of precipitation outside of the mountains so i'm usually able to put on my winter riding gear and go...but we do get the occasional snow storm. i have more issues with rain in the summer when the monsoon season gets underway.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I walk in the rain. I walk in the snow. I don't walk when it ices. It's worked pretty well so far.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I already have a gym membership and I go everyday or every other day, but if you don't have access to that you can always try getting something to do inside. Perhaps buy a jump rope if you have the space to jump rope in your house and try out HIIT training