Getting enough protein

Options
I am a pescatarian - sort of. I usually get all of my protein from plant based sources and eggs from my own happy chickens. When I go out to eat, I will eat fish if there is no other option. I am having trouble eating enough protein without going over my carb allowance for the day. Even when I add in fish once a day, I am still struggling. You have to eat a lot of rice and beans to get 60 grams of protein a day! Help anyone?

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    You are a human that requires protein and fat adjust your diet accordingly and get passed Labeling your diet with some trendy name. Try Shrimp, more fish etc I can't imagine not eating steak??

My 2 cents
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Difficulty comes with your diet choices. It is easier if you add protein to every meal, every snack. So an egg at breakfast. Tuna with lunch. Edamame for snacks. Then you can afford the higher carb option of beans for dinner.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Eat more eggs and more fish.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Add a protein powder into your diet, if you don't want a whey based one there are tons of great plant based protein powders and bars (VegaOne and Warrior). Do you eat dairy? Cottage cheese and greek yogurt are excellent source of protein.
  • paulinemacca
    paulinemacca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am the same. Have been vegetarian most of my life and just started eating fish. I've been on a high protein diet, set by my trainer, for 2 weeks now. I struggle to keep carbs under control and I'm SICK of eggs, cottage cheese & high protein yoghurt.

Let me know if you find any solutions.
  • becgraceevemaggie
    becgraceevemaggie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I sympathise. I have been trying to up my protein whilst lowering carbs and fat with mixed results. It's incredible the amount of fish, dairy and pulses that I need to get to approximately 30% of my daily calories. I'm sure it just takes practice though and it is interesting too! I was trying to eat more nuts but not sure they are that high in protein considering their fat content.
    Keep practicing!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Legumes and beans.
    Tofu
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Protein shakes.
    Peas
    Seeds
    Nuts
    Nut butters
    Mozzarella cheese
    Quinoa
    Tempeh
    Oats
    Hummus
    Brown rice

No need to lower fat unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There's also tons of "meat alternative" products out there... Yves Veggie Cuisine has a ton of products and recipes to use them (meatless chicken and beef strips, veggie ground, lunch "meats", hotdogs, burgers, pepperoni, bacon, etc etc). Morning star is another company with all sorts of products. Tofu is great too. You can add it to stir fry, scrambles, shakes and baked goods, skewer on kabobs and marinade.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    protein2.jpg
  • JackiBurkhardt
    JackiBurkhardt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. This really is a learning adventure.
  • JackiBurkhardt
    Options
    I had no idea tempeh was so high in protein!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I eat dairy to get my protein. My staples are Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and whey protein mixed with milk. By lunch most days I easily hit my 100 gram protein goal without coming even close to my carb and fat goals.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Dairy is also a complete protein!
  • JackiBurkhardt
    edited November 2015
    Options
    :)
    Doing much better having added cottage cheese and protein powder. I found a protein powder I like at the Vitamin Shop called Raw Protein. Instead of drinking it as a shake, I have been adding it to oatmeal for breakfast.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Dymatize iso 100 in gourmet chocolate is so good and has lots of protein! Without lots of cals, sugar etc
  • Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    simple - eat more fish and sea food, tofu, and buy protein shakes made from plant sources - like Soy shakes.
  • becgraceevemaggie
    becgraceevemaggie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can get it where you live Jackiebukhard, but I've discovered the joys and high protein content of icelandic skyr. It is available in UK too.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am a pescatarian - sort of. I usually get all of my protein from plant based sources and eggs from my own happy chickens. When I go out to eat, I will eat fish if there is no other option. I am having trouble eating enough protein without going over my carb allowance for the day. Even when I add in fish once a day, I am still struggling. You have to eat a lot of rice and beans to get 60 grams of protein a day! Help anyone?

• chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and I manage to get 80+ grams a day! If you have no problems with soy, you can try drinking more soy milk. One cup has 7g, it's a great way to get more protein if you don't mind the taste. You can try Gardien brand meatless meat, I quite enjoy the crumble and the "turkey" which are both high in protein and isn't too expensive for a meat replacement. It's available in the frozen section if you're curious. Tofu is fantastic, try different methods of cooking it. One of my favourite meals is a coconut cream pasta sauce (coconut cream plus vegan beef bullion as well as salt and pepper to taste) with black bean pasta (loaded with protein, you should try it) and tofu that's been pan fried after being marinaded in a mixture of soy sauce, a strong vegetarian broth of your choice, and some pomegranate juice.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    protein2.jpg

oh you beat me