Weather and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I will run outside in most any weather, including rain. Super cold or extremely slick conditions I won't; I'm a member of a gym in part to give me more options during the winter, as well as because it's the best option for weights. Last year I was a little wimpy about winter weather and ended up doing a lot of weight oriented workouts, as well as classes and spinning and some treadmill stuff for cardio. I also swim indoors all year 'round.

A great deal of my walking is what's required for commuting or errands, so I do that regardless of the weather. (I'm in Chicago so I suppose it could be worse, but we have our share of not so nice weather.)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Outside in all weather people, do any of you wear glasses? The last time I tried running in the rain, I got to a point where I couldn't see well enough and it was distracting. Otherwise, I didn't mind it so much.
  • MaryQueenofWalking
    Options
    Peachy Carol - I wear a baseball cap under neath the hood of my waterproof jacket. It helps when it is drizzling...if it is pouring... not so much.
  • marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Who knew there are walking videos??? I will definitely check those out. Love the idea of a dog but don't think that is gonna fly anytime soon with the hubby.

It hit me this morning that I was just making an excuse because it was dark, rainy and I was just feeling blah from the days of darkness. I will camp in the rain and why won't I walk in the rain??? That is the old thinking that I have got to remove from my brain!

Asking for rain gear for Christmas...you guys are the best!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    buy yourself a dog :-) They don't accept rain as a valid excuse to miss a walk :-) I also love running in the rain, I don't think you can really beat it tbh so I would give it a go. Although I have a mad labrador who drags me out, when I walk I wear waterproof overtrousers and a waterproof top so although it is chucking it down I can keep dry inside :-)

My dogs are such whimps, I have to drag them out when it's raining.

I do a lot of walking in my house. I have certain shows that I don't allow myself to watch sitting down. I can get about 2 miles in just slowly walking in place watching an hour long show.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Our prairie winters are another story. Tough to get out when it is -33C and windy. So cold our school system shuts down. Have to take it indoors and hope the weather snaps. Definitely can get depressing and irritating when your routine gets interrupted by factors out of your control.
    Your will, will enable you to find a solution that best works for you. For me I had to invest in a decent elliptical machine and can use it on days when it is just unsafe to get out.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Well my dogs definitely want a walk in the rain today. We're in day 3 of some weird tropical wetness with more to come. Weird because Florida doesn't normally get 5 day soakers without it being a named storm/hurricane, and because this is the dry season. I should be planting tomatoes right now but its far too wet. And we had an abnormally dry summer. 5 weeks without rain when it normally should be raining at 3pm daily. No such thing as climate change though. Oh nooo. Haven't seen a normal weather pattern since 2008, working on my ark. Anyway, sorry doggies! I also am nursing a rib I dislocated last week and don't need them pulling on me. Normally between 5 dogs one person can get a 4 mile walk, I have no interest in running. Mostly I cycle but 2 miles of my ride is currently mud. Unless I rework my route. Most likely I'll drag out my step box and Jane Fonda's low impact step aerobics video (circa 1992 and I think its on YouTube) , that I can do without the arm movements that would irritate my still sore rib cage. It a video I've used on and off since 1992. May not seem challenging to those who are very very fit, but it will work just fine for me! And hopefully changing my routine a bit will shake some fat off! Haha!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Give a nod to your "inner child" and buy a colorful pair of Wellies and a big, bright brolly (so you can be seen)...and stomp in a few puddles while you're out there!
  • fayecheshire
    fayecheshire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Join a gym and walk on the treadmill or get a win. I love the snowballing and hula hooping and you can so step on it too. I walk in the rain in my waterproofs if it's not too heavy. Faye x
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There is no bad weather.....only inappropriate clothing. (well......short of a monsoon or ice storm)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    There is no bad weather.....only inappropriate clothing. (well......short of a monsoon or ice storm)

I just popped into say that very thing! I walked 12928 steps or 5.5 miles in steady rain yesterday. Only 1200-1500 steps were indoors shopping at Safeway.
    You just need to gear up girl!