Puzzled! Please explain if you understand what I'm talking about.....Thanks!

Options
I completed logging in for today and it said I'd be 143 lbs after 4 weeks. So I played around with the logging for the next few days and I repeated todays menu for the next 7 days and it says that I'd be 144+ lbs by the date it shows..... how is that possible? Am I missing something?

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Did you add exercise today that you didn't add on the next day?
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I never add any exercise....
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't put a lot of stock in that little note at the end of the day. It's just a little "feel goodie" based on voodoo math. Ignore it.
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    I don't put a lot of stock in that little note at the end of the day. It's just a little "feel goodie" based on voodoo math. Ignore it.
    LOL! Really? :anguished:

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    While I don't put a LOT of stock in that number, I am "conscious" of it. It's not been far enough off to make me question it - at least with me. If it says I'm losing, and I'm losing, then I'm okay with it.
  • sunpatchjewelry
    sunpatchjewelry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that since at the bottom in TINY little writing it says that it's just a guess based on what you eat and how much you excercise. :)
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    I honestly think that since at the bottom in TINY little writing it says that it's just a guess based on what you eat and how much you excercise. :)
    But again that guess has been constantly showing that my weight is going down. First time in a month that it's doing so.. maybe the food I've logged is too high in a particular macro thingy...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's not voodoo math, it's basic math. The problem is that we don't eat exactly the same every day.

As for OP question, the diff is prob due to rounding. Can't really answer your question since we don't even know if 143 is a gain or loss, your daily cals etc.

If you don't like MFP trending, get Hsppy scale app or trendweight. They give more detailed trending analysis.
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Did you log a weight loss in those seven days? As you lose weight your calorie goal will go down. The same amount of calories at a lower weight would result in a smaller deficit and thus a smaller theoretical weight loss. That plus rounding could account for the difference
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Math is voodoo. The scale is voodoo times ten, and water weight is voodoo times twelve.

Only experience has twenty-twenty vision.

If I stay in a general deficit for a month I will show losses for a week in that month. That's as accurate as I can get.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Also it's based on math, however the body is very good at adapting to intake and activity, so homeostasis can set in the closer you get to goal. For many it's common to have reduced weight loss per week when it comes down to the last few pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I completed logging in for today and it said I'd be 143 lbs after 4 weeks. So I played around with the logging for the next few days and I repeated todays menu for the next 7 days and it says that I'd be 144+ lbs by the date it shows..... how is that possible? Am I missing something?

I've not seen where MFP shows future projections like this. It's just looking at the particular date you've logged and saying what'll happen if everyday is exactly like that one. I'm still wondering about exercise - maybe MFP tracks your steps and gives you calories / credit for it? The steps credit could be present today but not in the other identical food day
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I second the its because as you lose weight your calories go down so the deficit you are logging is getting smaller.

Hard to say if the predictor is right. My diet/exercise varies too much to really tell but it was a one point consistently telling me I'd lose at least 10kgs in 5 weeks. I lost about 5kg in that period (following a pretty strict 1200 cal diet and regular amounts of exercise). Its seems more off the more exercise calories it gives me (my fitbit auto updates my exercise calories). I've been exercising less and eating about the same net calories and now it predictions are a bit closer to the mark of 1kg loss per week. I find it a bit more rewarding when its actually achievable and now that its getting close to being my first goal weight that pops up its more motivating for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you done a weigh in and changed your weight? If your weight has changed, the prediction will change. I don't put any faith in it as being accurate. It is nice to see a number lower than I am now, but the reality could be something very different depending on exercise and intake.
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    OMG! I think I know what's the problem.....I just got a fitbit (last night) and set up n synced it with MFP. The current weight on MPF got synced with the one I put on fitbits app... explains everything LOL! :blush:
    But thank you guys! You all are awesome! Appreciate it!