NSV - Squatting 315 for 20 reps (4x5)

Options
beatua1
beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
I have lost about 120 pounds total, and started strong lifts about 5 months ago. I started lifting at about 255 and am presently about 225 and have been maintaining a pretty consistent ~750 calorie a day deficit during that time (with a couple weeks of vacation where I ate a little over maintenance). My current weight goal is 200. I am hoping i will be between 10-14% body fat at that weight.

I had done most of the lifts in SL in the past (most of them about 20 years ago in high school) so I had a pretty good feel for most of the lifts.

Anyway, I started about 5 months ago at 135 for Bench, DL and squat and at 95 for Row and Press. While losing ~30 pounds I have gained more strength than I could have imagined, and I am so excited about my overall progress.

I was doing 5x5 for the first 4 months or so and then dropped to 4x5 because I was just too drained doing 5x5. My max lifts for each are as follows:
Squat - 315 4x5
DL - 335 1x5
Bench - 240 4x5
Press - 140 4x5
Row - 155 4x5

I am amazed at the gains I have been able to make, all while on such a large deficit.

I was so excited about my squats yesterday I wanted to share and hopefully others will be inspired to press on as I have been by so many posts on this site. So here are some progress pics and video of my squatting.

Here is a picture of me at about 340:
wz9ZYOp.jpg

Here are some progress pics:
255:
nsbJnHM.jpgehTuRxL.jpg

240:
bsJ4fiV.jpgqjq3hWa.jpg

230:
ExFW281.jpgkNH7BYQ.jpg

Here are a couple of videos of my squatting 315 yesterday. If you have advice on form, I would be glad to hear it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAqFizx2SVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM7r9d8NxB0

Replies

• jbheller14
    jbheller14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Great job! I squat 75..ha ha! And bench press 60! It's going up but I gotta laugh at my numbers compared to others!
  • beatua1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jbheller14 wrote: »
    That's amazing! Great job! I squat 75..ha ha! And bench press 60! It's going up but I gotta laugh at my numbers compared to others!

Thanks. No reason to laugh, you have to start somewhere; very few women actually squat anything.

P.S. 315 is actually quite light compared to many people my size. In fact 315 is only barely intermediate for someone my size (see http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf). So I could easily laugh at my numbers compared to others as well.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That's incredible. Great job! I just ordered my weight set and I'm so excited to get started!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Great work!!!!! Sorry I can't give you any form advice cause I'm certainly no expert. But I just wanted to say yaayyyy you great thing!!!! I'm currently squatting about 75kgs (165lbs) 3 x 5
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    At first I just looked through your pictures and noticed a huge difference in appearance between 255 and 240. I thought--that's when he started lifting. So I went back and read your text and sure enough that's when you started! What a difference that has made in your body!

I've been taking a break from lifting. I got a little burnt out I think. Thanks for the motivation to get back to it.

• beatua1
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Great work!!!!! Sorry I can't give you any form advice cause I'm certainly no expert. But I just wanted to say yaayyyy you great thing!!!! I'm currently squatting about 75kgs (165lbs) 3 x 5
    Thanks! 165 is outstanding, easily as impressive as 315 is for me.
    At first I just looked through your pictures and noticed a huge difference in appearance between 255 and 240. I thought--that's when he started lifting. So I went back and read your text and sure enough that's when you started! What a difference that has made in your body!

I've been taking a break from lifting. I got a little burnt out I think. Thanks for the motivation to get back to it.
    Thanks, The lifting has helped me a lot, I wish you the best!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hey man, really awesome progress! I started with SL back in January and did it until June, then fell off the wagon. We started lifting again a month ago, but this time on the 5-3-1 plan, since the workouts are a little shorter. I'm very close to deadlifting and squatting my body weight (currently sitting at 237), which is exciting for me. Anyway, nice work, sending you a friend request. :)
  • beatua1
    Options
    Hey man, really awesome progress! I started with SL back in January and did it until June, then fell off the wagon. We started lifting again a month ago, but this time on the 5-3-1 plan, since the workouts are a little shorter. I'm very close to deadlifting and squatting my body weight (currently sitting at 237), which is exciting for me. Anyway, nice work, sending you a friend request. :)

That's great. Getting stronger is the best unexpected positive to my new fitness lifestyle. I never planned to get to these levels of strength when I started losing weight, and I am amazed that I have blown away all of my old 1RM PRs while doing 4x5 now. I wish you the best in your fitness adventure as well.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Looking for something else and stumbled over your post. Congratulations! Comment on your squat form...you're raising your hips before your chest when you're coming up which results in you having to finish the rep with essentially a 315lb "good morning". Try and push your chest up toward the ceiling as you're standing up to try and make it all one fluid motion.
  • cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have a think about the following...

- Hips are rising before the weight moves. Make sure you brace your core before you squat up.

- Bring your elbows further forward so they're directly underneath the bar.

- Your knees were moving in & out. Imagine you're 'screwing' your feet outwards as you squat - keeps the knees out.

Happy squatting!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!