How can I loose anti-depressant weight gain?

Options
Hello,

I have recently come off Sertaline (zofoloft) ssri's and I am trying to loose weight gained whilst on them. I was on the medication for 2 years and followed the same diet and exercise regime as before I started the medication. However I went from a UK size 8 to size 14. This has made me very unhappy. I was wondering if anyone else had suffered the same ill fate and could offer me any advice on how to get my pre-med body back via diets and exercise programmes.

Zoe

Replies

• marymbradford18
    marymbradford18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Zoloft made me gain 30 lbs. I had to switch medicines. Right now I'm trying to lose the weight but it is very slow.
  • paulinecanfield
    paulinecanfield Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have just come off them 5 weeks ago and so far the scale isn't moving despite a low calorie diet and active lifestyle. I'm wondering how long it will take for my metabolism to kick back in.
  • ZoeFew
    ZoeFew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for your replies! Progress is slow with me also. I think I have lost a lot of water weight as I am not as bloated. However the real weight is still to disappear. I have a started a high protein low carb diet. lean meat and veg and a protein shake as a meal replacement once a day. Let me know how you get on and what works for you :).
  • staringatthesun
    staringatthesun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, having gained a bunch of weight after switching to new medications, including starting Zoloft. Zoloft really helps me, though! So I'm currently trying to lose the weight without switching medications... we shall see.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, having gained a bunch of weight after switching to new medications, including starting Zoloft. Zoloft really helps me, though! So I'm currently trying to lose the weight without switching medications... we shall see.

I've been on Zoloft as well for the past three months, and I've had not much of an appetite since then and lost weight. However I know that with all antidepressants that a lot of people get different side effects. Best of luck on your weightloss :)
  • Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Caloric deficit and exercise - simple, this over a period of time = guaranteed results. Healthy food choices enough protein and you won't be hungry.

Antidepressants do not make you eat junk food sugar chocolate and eat too many calories, YOU do it. Also they do not make you not exercise.

Source - Personal Long year experience

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Oflamez wrote: »
    Caloric deficit and exercise - simple, this over a period of time = guaranteed results. Healthy food choices enough protein and you won't be hungry.

Antidepressants do not make you eat junk food sugar chocolate and eat too many calories, YOU do it. Also they do not make you not exercise.

Yup. Still on the antidepressants and
    58841349.png
  • staringatthesun
    staringatthesun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oflamez wrote: »

This may be sourced from your personal experience, but it does not match mine or many others'. There are some medications that actually affect the way that your body processes the nutrients that you take in, affect they way that your body converts energy into fat, and slow your metabolism. In MY personal experience, I was on Abilify and gained weight without changing anything about my lifestyle. Once I stopped taking the medication, I lost the weight, again without changing anything about my lifestyle. It's not always as simple as "eating too many calories." And, it's not fair to say "YOU do it," unless you are my psychiatrist who can speak directly to my medications, my body, and lifestyle.