Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Once. I never used my dehydrated again. Basement lol
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    not something i'm real interested in trying to make.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes love home made jerky. Getting ready to do venison jerky. Very easy to make.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to make some for Christmas gifts this year. I haven't started yet because I want to research homemade recipes for the jerky cure. The ones I've seen at the store all contain nitrates, which I avoid. Anyone with a recipe I'd appreciate a post here or PM. Thanks!
  • _BeBrave
    _BeBrave Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My brother in law and I are obsessed with homemade jerky. We just get very thin sliced beef, marinate it for 24-48 hours in whatever sauce or flavoring we like, and pop it in the dehydrator or oven to slow cook.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    _BeBrave wrote: »
    My brother in law and I are obsessed with homemade jerky. We just get very thin sliced beef, marinate it for 24-48 hours in whatever sauce or flavoring we like, and pop it in the dehydrator or oven to slow cook.

Can you store it for long term?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I make homemade beef and turkey jerky quite frequently. Nowadays I use a dehydrator. Prior to dehydrator purchase used to do it in a very low oven with fan and oven door propped ajar with a piece of cutlery.

My tip for making jerky is to weigh the marinated meat prior to dehydrating and gauge "doneness" when they have reached 60% (or whatever level dryness suits your taste) of raw weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm making some for christmas gifts. I recently bought a smoker and am looking forward to trying it. I bought a falvouring pack that came with everything I need to make 5 different flavours.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    good send me some lol
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm making some for christmas gifts. I recently bought a smoker and am looking forward to trying it. I bought a falvouring pack that came with everything I need to make 5 different flavours.

I have a smoker, but never thought to make jerky. I'll make it right next to my smoked tofu!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love venison jerky. You just have to be careful to not over-dehydrate it. I have used a dehydrator and just done it in the oven low and slow.
  • oliemowers
    oliemowers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just bought a dehydrator and also got a seal and vac machine.. to help with storage of dried foods and to work better with frozen foods.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've made dear jerky. Lots of spices and teriyaki sauce. Let it sit over night, then dehydrate. Not everyone likes dear, so you could substitute whatever.

Roughly one lb of thin sliced meat with a whole bottle of the sauce. Spices: pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, Garlic powder, onion powder, and beef dry rub.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to make jerky in oven if you don't have dehydrator or smoker?
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    pinggolfer96- you can use your oven as a dehydrator, bunch of info on settings and how to on-line.

I turn most of the ducks and geese I shoot into jerky. I usually us my smoker, but when I'm real lazy, or have a lot to do I'll smoke them for an hour and finish in the dehydrator. Maybe I'll make another batch this weekend?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to make jerky in oven if you don't have dehydrator or smoker?

I did this before I bought a dehydrator. It does probably waste a lot of energy. Marinate the meat in soy, a little brown sugar, some garlic powder and chilli paste overnight. Lay on a single layer on a baking tray. Turn oven on to lowest fan-assisted setting (mine is 50 degrees Centigrade). You can keep the oven door ajar by placing a fork or spoon in it. It took 4 to 6 hours to make jerky this way.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love making jerky, but for a quick recipe, I use ground beef, turkey or chicken. Get jerky seasoning (I order mine from Cabelas only because it has the salt and seasoning mixes separate), mix into your meat accordingly and let sit for a couple of hours. Bring out, roll into little balls, flatten and place on dehydrator. Easy peasy.
  • gettinfabnfit
    gettinfabnfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Seems interesting enough to make considering beef jerky is kinda expensive theses days and would be a good low carb snack
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make Singapore Pork Jerky (Bak Kwa - made with ground pork) in the oven and it always turns out wonderful. Many variant recipes on Google and even on you-tube to see how it's made. Cheap to make too. hvbdei20q1fs.jpg