Any Vegans or transitioning vegans on here?

Options
I'm a transitioning vegan. Any tips on how to lose weight? I need to lose at least 25 lbs by may for prom.

Replies

• holisticrose91
    holisticrose91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies and quinoa :)
  • palmtreegirl621
    palmtreegirl621 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me!!! Went vegetarian on Sept 1 and loving it. Looking to transition to vegan in the spring. How about you!?
  • sisteract327
    sisteract327 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two years vegan I noticed I wasn't getting enough protein make sure you are getting plenty lentils are great. And make sure you're not eating any processed foods. Good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Regardless of the way of eating you follow, to lose weight, it's the same response. You need to be in a calorie deficit.

Also, make sure you get blood work to ensure you are getting enough b vitamins (some need to supplement) and eat a variety of protein sources to get all essential amino acids.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    what they said

but what's a transitioning vegan? Isn't veganism absolute?
  • ash_libbie
    ash_libbie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 2 of being a Vegan not sure what transitioning is but I have two days this month where I'm eating non-vegan food (work holiday party and christmas) :) The biggest helper to me has been cooking. I made a bunch of veggie fritters and froze them and I went and bought a ton of lentils, beans, fresh veggies and fruit and some seasonings so it doesn't get boring.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's exactly the same for us as it is for non-vegans -- eat fewer calories than you burn. You don't have to avoid processed foods or eat quinoa (unless you like it, then eat it) or hit a certain macro percentage (although we do need fat and protein for good health).

If you're not already logging, begin logging. Start with the calorie goal MFP gives you and try to meet it consistently as possible.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan! You should check out Gardien if you miss meat or get a meat craving, tons of great high protein soy or gluten based meats. Don't forget to get B vitamins like vitamin b12! Protein is still important and you can get lots from soy products like soy milk. Most soy milks have added B12 in them too.
  • fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan! You should check out Gardien if you miss meat or get a meat craving, tons of great high protein soy or gluten based meats. Don't forget to get B vitamins like vitamin b12! Protein is still important and you can get lots from soy products like soy milk. Most soy milks have added B12 in them too.

What she said. Protein, veggies. No lovely vegan desserts.
  • saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

booom. you can eat as much carbs and protein and fat as you want. as long as you're in a calorie deficit :) edit: but of course keep it healthy!!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fkwan wrote: »

What she said. Protein, veggies. No lovely vegan desserts.

Just like non-vegans, we can have desserts while losing weight. We just need to understand how much we're eating of them so we stay in a calorie deficit. I regularly had things like desserts, fried food, and alcohol while losing weight. I just logged the calories to ensure I was meeting my calorie goal.
  • dragthewaters1991
    dragthewaters1991 Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since July and just became a vegan last week! And yesterday I got 90 grams of protein.

I'm in calorie maintenance currently, but losing weight on a vegan diet is exactly the same -- burn more calories than you take in. Just make sure you are hitting all your macros, particularly protein. I would also recommend getting some vegan vitamins, nutritional yeast, and pea and hemp protein powder for smoothies (all can be found at any health food store or ordered online).
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    what they said

but what's a transitioning vegan? Isn't veganism absolute?

It means that you are phasing animal products out of your diet in preparation for being fully vegan. Many people do this until they can stock up on vegan supplies, to finish up the animal products in their home so they don't get wasted, or so that they can make sure they know how to stay healthy on a vegan diet beforehand.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    lots of vegans on here

tips are do your research there are sooooooooo many vegan products now a days there is no reason to miss out on anything