Contrave users.....

Options
I would love to hear your opinion on this drug.

Thank you!!

Replies

• SoapDoc909
    SoapDoc909 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been taking contrave for 2 months after the initial loading dose. Honestly did not lose any weight at first but also I was eating like crap... It did help me quit smoking though, after smoking for about 15 years. About 2 weeks ago I decided that I needed to finally lose the weight so I started exercising. Now I see how contrave works! Now that I am eating healthier (not starving just making better choices and reduced quanity) I now understand how contrave works... I feel ok having eaten salad for lunch or dinner, whereas before I would have been cranky until I shoved a burger in my mouth lol

I think its a great medicine, but it is not a miracle pill. It is meant to HELP you while you are attempting to lose the weight, not to lose the weight for you. I give it a thumbs up!
  • MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »

Thank you!!

Love it. Lost 55lbs in 4 months. I always ate well, but I just ate SOOOO much. Not anymore. Eat maybe a quarter of what I used to
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Thank you!!

Love it. Lost 55lbs in 4 months. I always ate well, but I just ate SOOOO much. Not anymore. Eat maybe a quarter of what I used to

Just curious, how long do you have to take this drug? Just until you reach your goal weight? Also, if you take it until you reach your goal weight what happens when you go off the drug? As long as you're not over-eating you won't gain the weight back?

• MacksFisher
    Options
    It is classified as a "Lifestyle drug" which might me I'll have to take it forever or until I don't need it anymore and have my eating under control. I will say that I am very far from my goal weight so at the moment this is not an issue
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It is classified as a "Lifestyle drug" which might me I'll have to take it forever or until I don't need it anymore and have my eating under control. I will say that I am very far from my goal weight so at the moment this is not an issue

Agreed, this drug is actually two drugs used in combination, which I'm sure you already know since you take it. Both of those drugs have been around a long time and have been approved to used long term individually. So, I'm with you, I wouldn't worry about it just yet, and you seem to be doing very well. Stick with your plans and you might be amazed how this medication can start to change your portion control long term. Best of luck to you
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 8lbs in one month but I didn't use it as prescribed. Every time I increased the dose, I would become tired so I stopped for two weeks and started again at one pill a day. It helps control my cravings for sweets and believe it or not, I stopped biting my nails too.

None of the drugs in Contrave are considered a "stimulant" nor are they a controlled substance. One is Wellbutrin which is used for depression, anxiety, weight loss, etc... the other, Naltrexone is beneficial in so many ways.

As for portion control, I can still eat a lot at one time, which I don't normally do anyway but I do over eat when it comes to sweets and this drug helps.
  • Tiamo719
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thank you!!

Congrats!!!!!!!

Are you at the full dose? I get so tired when I take more than two.
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    :)
    SoapDoc909 wrote: »
    Been taking contrave for 2 months after the initial loading dose. Honestly did not lose any weight at first but also I was eating like crap... It did help me quit smoking though, after smoking for about 15 years. About 2 weeks ago I decided that I needed to finally lose the weight so I started exercising. Now I see how contrave works! Now that I am eating healthier (not starving just making better choices and reduced quanity) I now understand how contrave works... I feel ok having eaten salad for lunch or dinner, whereas before I would have been cranky until I shoved a burger in my mouth lol

I think its a great medicine, but it is not a miracle pill. It is meant to HELP you while you are attempting to lose the weight, not to lose the weight for you. I give it a thumbs up!

I agree, it is definitely not a miracle pill but I felt better on it and started exercising as well. I joined a gym and it's been a month now that I have been exercising faithfully (even when not taking it)
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is this something that needs to be prescribed?
  • Tiamo719
    Options
    wideturn wrote: »
    Is this something that needs to be prescribed?

Yes. My insurance didn't cover it but with a copay card from the Contrave site, I paid $70.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested first trying the Wellbutrin because of cost and that worked for me. I do believe I've seen other posts that say it actually is a bit of a stimulant?
  • MacksFisher
    Options

Thank you!!

Congrats!!!!!!!

Are you at the full dose? I get so tired when I take more than two.

Sorry it took so long to answer. I am on the full dosage. But I had very few side effects. Some mild stomach cramping and constipation, which has basically passed and I sweat a lot more.
  • kevin_TN
    kevin_TN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Main tip I have is do not even consider drinking more than 2-3 alcoholic drinks. My alcohol tolerance is much lower and any drinking results in TERRIBAD hangovers. Really not a bad thing, but I didnt expect it.

Other than that I havent noticed any sides. I've taken various legal and illegal stimulant-based appetitr suppresants and this is very different. It won't make you 'not get hungry' like phentermine etc will, rather it makes you lose the desire to indulge. Personally it's just what I need, because my binges were never about hunger.