THOSE MEDDLING KIDS.....

Options

Replies

• lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Here is a really good solution to your problem, if you can afford it. Put a video camera on your backyard. Turn it on when you are not there and record them going in your yard. Identify the kids in the video, bring it to the cops, and have the cops give the kids a warning that if they go in your backyard again they will get in trouble for trespassing. I'm not sure if you have to put a sign up that you have a surveilance system in your house, but if you don't have to I wouldn't. Talk to their parents and say that you will bring anything that lands in your backyard to the playground once a week.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a Sandusky Scarecrow... that will keep the little fckers away!

jerry-sandusky-little-boy-instructional-video1.jpg

^ That should work just fine!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a Sandusky Scarecrow... that will keep the little fckers away!

jerry-sandusky-little-boy-instructional-video1.jpg

^ That should work just fine!

OMG! That is just so wrong!
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    But if you trap them in your yard they will hurt your garden more. It is better to use the razor wire and keep them away from the garden. Gotta protect whats important, and rude, tresspassing children are not it.
  • bubbaflip
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have you actually told the parents to tell them to stop? I hope so. Past that, uh, I wish you luck in securing your yard.

Darn kids.

Unlike in, say back in the 80's and 90's, kids today are not gonna listen to their parents that easily. When the parents of these kids today were kids themselves back in the 80's and 90's, I'm sure they were strictly taught not to do such and such thing. Nowadays, you have those same 80's and 90's kids who are parents and let their children get away with anything. I say put up an electric fence and get you a doberman or Rottweiler.

Are you serious? Kids today are no different than kids any other time. You sound like an old person. Are you late to feed pigeons at the park bench?

I'm a 80's - 90's kid who learned to respect what my parents told me and if I didn't, I knew that a leather belt was gonna come across the seat of my pants. Being that it's considered child abuse in today's society, many parents don't want to discipline their child that way for fear of being locked up.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Kids are kids. Kids have climbed over fences to get their beloved toys since toys were ever created and fences were ever built. Doesn't matter what decade.

I'd go for the tiger pit... or maybe just get yourself a not to keep the toys out ;)
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    How about a motion sensor controlled machine gun? Ok so that's a bit extreme, make it a paint ball gun!!

I like the barbed wire idea..............inside the fence.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    To be fair -- I'm guessing yer american? At least you aren't blowing holes in them for looking at you 'funny' with some Rhino hunting gun like all you chaps seem to have and do
    Wow...
    I guess *kitten* are all over the world now.

Wow
    ... over-reacting American who gets rude because he doesn't get irony

Welcome to the internet, my friend :wink:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    To be fair -- I'm guessing yer american? At least you aren't blowing holes in them for looking at you 'funny' with some Rhino hunting gun like all you chaps seem to have and do
    Wow...

Wow
    ... over-reacting American who gets rude because he doesn't get irony
    Irony would be something like a Soldier who was afraid of guns or maybe an airline pilot who was afraid of heights.
    Or perhaps a boat captian who cannot swim.
    To say that all of us (Americans) are blowing holes in people who simply look at us funny isn't ironic.
    It is stupid and bigoted.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I was thinking you should put razor wire along the top of the fence.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Have you actually told the parents to tell them to stop? I hope so. Past that, uh, I wish you luck in securing your yard.

Darn kids.

Unlike in, say back in the 80's and 90's, kids today are not gonna listen to their parents that easily. When the parents of these kids today were kids themselves back in the 80's and 90's, I'm sure they were strictly taught not to do such and such thing. Nowadays, you have those same 80's and 90's kids who are parents and let their children get away with anything. I say put up an electric fence and get you a doberman or Rottweiler.

Are you serious? Kids today are no different than kids any other time. You sound like an old person. Are you late to feed pigeons at the park bench?

Parents now days can't discipline their kids without having the child protection people showing up at their door because they slapped them or sent them to their room. A lot of kids (I'm not saying all but a lot) are incredibly disrespectful towards their elders including their parents. I have seen kids mouth back to their parents, hit their parents in the face, tell them to shut up etc. etc. etc. and the the parents either don't do anything or smile and laugh at how "cute" their kid is being. In the 80's and 90's you were able to slap your child, send them to their room without a meal and ground them. Now days child protection services would be all over anyone who even tried to do anything like that. My mother used to work in an elementary school and kids that were in Kindergarten would threaten teachers with calling the cops on them if they touched them.

So with regards to your statement of "kids now days are no different than they were back then" they ARE. They know the system.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Kids are kids. Kids have climbed over fences to get their beloved toys since toys were ever created and fences were ever built. Doesn't matter what decade.

Maybe but they don't have to tramp all over the guys garden and ruin his stuff in order to do it.

But then again I'm lazy and wouldn't bother climbing a fence to go get my ball.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Wow...

yes didn't you hear? It's the new contagious epidemic....CDC is all OVER it....
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Darn kids.

Parents now days can't discipline their kids without having the child protection people showing up at their door because they slapped them or sent them to their room. A lot of kids (I'm not saying all but a lot) are incredibly disrespectful towards their elders including their parents. I have seen kids mouth back to their parents, hit their parents in the face, tell them to shut up etc. etc. etc. and the the parents either don't do anything or smile and laugh at how "cute" their kid is being. In the 80's and 90's you were able to slap your child, send them to their room without a meal and ground them. Now days child protection services would be all over anyone who even tried to do anything like that. My mother used to work in an elementary school and kids that were in Kindergarten would threaten teachers with calling the cops on them if they touched them.

So with regards to your statement of "kids now days are no different than they were back then" they ARE. They know the system.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. " Socrates

Look, we are the same age. Did you not act out as a child and misbehave? Part of being a kid is testing limits and boundaries.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Darn kids.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. " Socrates

Look, we are the same age. Did you not act out as a child and misbehave? Part of being a kid is testing limits and boundaries.

Yes I misbehaved however I never once hit my parents, called them names or disrespected them in any way. When I did misbehave I was punished for it be it a spanking, getting sent to my room (which thinking back now I have no idea why that was such a bad thing LOL!) or being grounded. My point is that parents CAN'T discipline their children any more because child services would be at their house in a second. All a child has to do is tell a teacher that they were spanked and they report that to the authorities and an investigation will take place. Times are much different now then when we were kids. Even now if a parent tries do discipline their child in public you will have people tearing them a new *kitten* over it when it is clearly none of their business.

I was in a store once around Christmas time and there was a child acting up. The father took the child around the corner and tore him a new one for his actions in public. I wanted to shake his hand for having the guts to actually do something about the behavior because it was the first time I had ever seen a parent not laugh or ignore the unruly child. I'm sure anyone else would have reamed the father for being so mean but I personally wanted to high five him for being a parent.
  • doorki
    Options

Darn kids.

Yes I misbehaved however I never once hit my parents, called them names or disrespected them in any way. When I did misbehave I was punished for it be it a spanking, getting sent to my room (which thinking back now I have no idea why that was such a bad thing LOL!) or being grounded. My point is that parents CAN'T discipline their children any more because child services would be at their house in a second. All a child has to do is tell a teacher that they were spanked and they report that to the authorities and an investigation will take place. Times are much different now then when we were kids. Even now if a parent tries do discipline their child in public you will have people tearing them a new *kitten* over it when it is clearly none of their business.

I was in a store once around Christmas time and there was a child acting up. The father took the child around the corner and tore him a new one for his actions in public. I wanted to shake his hand for having the guts to actually do something about the behavior because it was the first time I had ever seen a parent not laugh or ignore the unruly child. I'm sure anyone else would have reamed the father for being so mean but I personally wanted to high five him for being a parent.

You are allowed to spank, ground and discipline your child. I do not know where you are getting that from. I discipline and yell at my son in daughter when they misbehave all the time. No one bats an eye. Now, I don't punch them or slap them. I also choose not to spank my children because I find that it is counterproductive with my children. But if I did spank my children, it would be within my legal rights.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Landmines.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Darn kids.

You are allowed to spank, ground and discipline your child. I do not know where you are getting that from. I discipline and yell at my son in daughter when they misbehave all the time. No one bats an eye. Now, I don't punch them or slap them. I also choose not to spank my children because I find that it is counterproductive with my children. But if I did spank my children, it would be within my legal rights.

I am getting this from all the unruly kids that I see where the parents don't do anything, from the kids who talk back to their parents, scream at them, hit them and tell them that they can't touch them because they will call the police. I am getting this from the nosey people who yell at those they see disciplining their children because they have nothing better to do with their time. I am getting this from my mother who used to work in the school system and all a kid would have to say is "My mom spanked me" and the teacher would call social services on the parent.
  • doorki
    Options

Darn kids.

I am getting this from all the unruly kids that I see where the parents don't do anything, from the kids who talk back to their parents, scream at them, hit them and tell them that they can't touch them because they will call the police. I am getting this from the nosey people who yell at those they see disciplining their children because they have nothing better to do with their time. I am getting this from my mother who used to work in the school system and all a kid would have to say is "My mom spanked me" and the teacher would call social services on the parent.

kids will say whatever they can and it doesn't make it true. Nosey people can yell all they want, it doesn't mean that the parent is doing anything legally wrong. Your mom's teachers were overstepping their bounds or there is more to the story.

Kids will try to hit you when they are younger because they do not yet understand that they shouldn't. Kids also lose control of their emotions because they have not yet learned to control them. That is up to the parent to teach them. Kids have and will always do this. I will say again that kids are no different now then they were in the past.
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the electric fence with warning signs but here is another thought: How about one of those nets, like they have at the driving range? Goes above the height of the fence and will catch balls and frisbees and other flying objects? Just a thought.

As a parent of a grown child, I love these suggestions. Some sound a little harsh, but if folks ignore no trespassing signs, then it's their problem to face the consequences.

Homeowners assn will not allow those nets, as they are unsightly. I asked about that, and I was gonna have to get a permit and go before the re-zoning board of county council and all that stuff. Not worth the time or money. I don't even care so much about them climbing into the yard...but they keep stepping all over my weed and killing it.

Umm, am I the only one who saw he was talking about weed at the end of the quote above? If that's the case then you should either a) expect the kids to get completely high off your stuff or b) expect to have the cops called on you for growing weed when they are stuck there