What is your secret that keeps you going?

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    enhanced-buzz-19452-1295649639-3.jpg

(there is no secret. Its just part of what I do. I would feel weird and depressed and like I was missing something if I didn't)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I was given more grit than the average bear.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Real talk - looking so much better naked! :D
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My natural competitiveness.
  • rstrobridge10
    rstrobridge10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Instagram girls. :D I love looking at "fitspo" pics; I love how they look and I want to look like that, too! In all honesty though, the way I feel. Since I've started logging and exercising everyday, I've begun feeling better and I've only been at it for 3 weeks. The first week was hell and I was so sore, but now that my body is used to moving again, I almost crave it. It's like a positive feedback; the more I do it, the better I feel, which makes me want to continue. I've also noticed small changes in my appearance which is SUPER motivating. Reminding myself that I need to compare myself by the week, not by the day, helps when I feel frustrated.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    johnpacuta wrote: »
    What is your secret that keeps you going?
    Is it the knowledge that you can do it? Is it the fact that being tired doesn't matter? Is it your previous athletic experience? Is it the sexy people at the gym? What is fueling the burning desire within you? Please, do tell...

If I tell you ... everyone will know ...

OK, here it is ...

I enjoy being active.

I really dislike being inactive. I have had to be inactive a few times in my life because of injury or illness ... and I get almost agonisingly restless and grouchy and unhappy.

A day without activity ... exercise of some sort ... is a sad wasted day.

But if I can do something ... walking, cycling, climbing stairs, weightlifting, swimming, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, canoeing, or something ... I'm happy and it is a good day. :)

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being active, particularly hiking, and a life goal of mine is to hike Kilimanjaro. Fitness is going to be important, even if it is the easiest of the seven summits.

It's also a good way to get me into the mindset of pushing through all the times I don't want to go on - compared to summit day where I'll have to get up at midnight for six hours of steep nighttime high altitude hiking to reach the crater, feeling a bit tired after work doesn't seem so bad.
  • manueldelreal
    manueldelreal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got tired of looking in the mirror and remembering the good old days. I'm was 32 and already started wasting away being a couch potato (having a job that has me sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day certainly didn't help). One day I decided that I didn't want to be that guy anymore and been going since; now I dread when I don't get to do any type of exercise for a day.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It's pretty sublime for me. But I think it's because now I know I can, even when I think I know longer can. I've proven myself wrong about not being able to keep going that stopping just seems wrong.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No secret...but lifting keeps me going. Strength, physique, PRs, watching my body change, experimenting with nutrition.
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    Mirror. I see a red, sweaty and tired face and messy hair. Sometimes I fell like I even want to cry. I put my hands on my knees and look deep into my eyes and tell myself that I haven't gone until here to just give up. I breathe heavily. And I realise my breath more than when in peace. It makes me feel alive. I am my motivation. And my belief than anything is possible.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I look forward to killing it every time I work out regardless of what I'm doing. I love being healthy, being fit & beating my PRs. I like facing new challenges where mind meets body whether it's Tough Mudder, a 5k run, or learning a new sport, activity or exercise. Mental & physical health to me are equally important. I want to be fit enough to enjoy moving in many different ways whether it's Yoga, lifting heavy weights, Krav Maga, horseback riding, swimming, canoeing, archery, running or doing some speed, agility & balance work placing emphasis on coordinated movement.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Mine is a two parter.
    1. I don't like being fat.
    2. I do like being thin and fit.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like being slim, fit and feeling comfortable in my skin.

I also like collecting medals for taking part in races, so that motivates me too.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I work out because I like food and want to eat more of it. I also work out because I want getting older to suck less.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivator is to be healthy. When I am around my family, it's like my mind gets reset. They are very overweight, and eat unhealthy. Mom and dad spent last week with us, and I didn't see my father eat a single piece of fruit (we have apples, bananas, oranges sitting on the counter). Mom is limited by her Crohn's disease what she can eat, but the sweets through brought were unbelievable...snacks for them are chips, dip, soda, ice cream, candy. For my husband and kids, ice cream happens once a month MAYBE...chips rarely, last time I bought soda was 2 months ago. Every now and then the teen boys will buy a soda with their money. We drink herbal teas and eat berry parfaits for snacks. Seeing mom and dad, and how limited they are in their mobility, not to mention their health issues, resets my mind every time!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Sad to say, but my family is my secret weapon in maintaining my healthy routines--especially my father's family. They are living, breathing examples of what happens when people fail to take care of themselves. I don't want to end up a smoking/drinking type 2 diabetic with high cholesterol and 30 extra pounds, like my grandfather, aunt, and dad. So I do things to prevent that. (My mother's family provides a more positive example of the benefits of self-care, but I've always been more responsive to consequences.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like no longer feeling like I am creaky and old when I move or do anything requiring the slightest bit of flexibility.

I'm also just happier in general when I exercise, which I assume is due to endorphins. When I am in a better mood, I am nicer for others to be around as well. I very much enjoy exercise just for the sake of exercise. I don't consider myself to be that great at it but I enjoy doing it.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have always been active. Ever since I was a kid I have always done something. From gymnastics to ice skating to skiing to hiking even climbing mountains with my dad to track to snowboarding... even now I have taken up snowshoeing I love the adventure of it all.. and right now being fat puts a real damper on the things I love to do. My motivation is the need to adventure I want to be in shape so I can do the things I love and travel even when my kids get older! Find your passion!
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In college my exercise bio professor told me that exercise was a "human requirement" - we are an animal, and as a species, we require exercise, without it we will [slowly] grow sicker and die. You must sleep, you must eat, you must brush your teeth, you must exercise. You just gotta put it in your human animal list.